OMV on Proxmox

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

They should be in most linux distro's repos.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• After some errors, I reinstalled Proxmox and I'm thinking about using it on my mainserver.

But I still have some questions I need to get answered:

a) Linux-Guest (OMV) as KVM or LXC?
    b) HDD passtrough with SMART etc... how?
    c) passthroughed HDDs Spindown: HD-Idle in Guest or Host?
    d) HDD passtrough works without VT-d/IOMMU, right?
    e) passthroughed HDDs can be used in every other Linux-PC, right?
    f) virtual HDDs can be transfered to another Proxmox and use it there, correct?
    g) Is it possible to use one virtual HDD in two or more guests at the same time?
    h) How can be files transfered between two guest? only per netzworkshare?
    i) how can I monitore the CPU Temperature of the Host?
    j) Do I need to install the VM-Tools under a Linux guest?

• Offizieller Beitrag

a) Definitely KVM

f) yes
    g) not really. If they are on the same host and using virtio networking, it will be almost as fast anyway.
    h) see g
    i) I don't think a guest can monitor the host's cpu temp
    j) if you want to be able to shutdown the guest using the proxmox interface instead of logging in. It also provides a little bit of info. Otherwise, I haven't found any negative reasons from not having it installed.

• a) why KVM? I found in many guides that it would be better using LXC, because it should be faster?

b)-e) you can't answer? :(

f) great!
    g+h) okay, so I can't make a VM downloading stuff on Virtualdisk A:/ and with a different VM I can't access Virtualdisk A as "HDD" only over network?
    i) I mean by the Host. Is it possible to use something like phpsysinfo on the host?
    j) how do I install it? please for newbies :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

a) OMV doesn't work in LXC.

b-d) Uh nope. Don't care about smart data. Don't spindown my drives. Don't have a system without VT-d.

e) missed that one. another pc could use a virtual hard drive if it had kvm/qemu/virtualbox on it.

g+h) I don't understand you question. You could download on one VM and have an rsync job sync the two systems every X mins though. virtio network adapter is 10Gb so it is VERY fast.

i) Proxmox is Debian Jessie. So, probably possible but I have never tried it.
    j) apt-get install qemu-guest-agent

• a) ok?
    b-d) okay, I spinndown (I don't have the money to let them run all the time without using them) and my System doesn't support IOMMU. As far as I know IOMMU and VT-d is only needed for PCI-Passtrough.

e) i mean, if I passtrough a HDD to a guest, then format it in the guest to ext4. Can I take the HDD out of of the Server and insert it into my Mint-System?
    g+h) Ah I see. Virtio seems to be great :)

i) okay I'll try it someday
    j) thanks!

Maybe I'm splitting the Server.
    One Server only as a Fileserver and Plex with OMV (I have a AMD A4-4000 for this)
    and the Opteron without IOMMU as a Proxmox-Host with some guests for FTP, OpenVPN-AS and such things
    Pro:
    - 3 HDDs less are running and saving power, because I don't need Plex and its data all the time
    Neg:
    -If I need it I have to start a second server (over WOL) with ~ 40W with the HDDs.
    - My Opteron MoBo with Cooler doesn't fit into the A4-4000 Case and the Backplanes of the Opteron doesn't Fit into it either...
    But I think I'm making a new thread for this.

• IMHO, you overcomplicate things for yourself. I have been there myself. In you case you really need to pick what is most important for you and pic the platform that give you that first. Than find the way to add the other stuff in. If smart and hdd spindown is very important than the HOST must be able to deal with it, not VM.
    I have been searching and testing distros for the last 2+ years. And i have found that if i was willing to compromise a bit, the best distro and set-up for me was to run OMV as a host.
    You can use virtualbox for virtualization, or if you want to tinker a bit you can even set-up kvm on it, there is a post here on how to do it.
    Do you really need to have avm system disk as a pass through, or it is data disks you use like that?

I am currently running file/VM server based on OMV like that

I am not done yet as i still need to get virtualbox running but file server is up.
    I am using snapraid and mergerfs for data drives, i have system on raid1 ssd. It works beautifully.

Sent from my phone

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Hmm this is an arguement.
    I think I'll give Webvirtmgr a try and Use Proxmox on the Backupserver (because of snapshot). And maybe I'll move the mediafile I don't need to a different server. How much power does a HDD in spindown consume ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

okay, I spinndown (I don't have the money to let them run all the time without using them)

It probably only costs a couple dollars a month to leave them running. In my opinion, start/stop is harder on a hard drive than leaving it running. And replacing hard drives more often is more costly.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If $5 a month (googled Germany electrical cost because I know it is high) is high, then spin them down. I'm not sure I would use proxmox then. I don't know what happens when you spin down a drive with virtual hard drives for multiple virtual machines on it.

• The Iso wont work by CD or USB. Dont know why.
    Proxmox is running on the Debian-Server

I have the same problem with the "proxmox 4.2 iso". Also reported this in the proxmox forum: https://forum.proxmox.com/thre…ermicro-x11ssh-ctf.29330/

Other iso images like "debian 8.6 netinstall" and "openmediavault 3" worked fine. So I decided to install proxmox ontop of a debian jessie 8.6 netinstall. At the moment it works as expected, but I don't have the time I need to investigate for testing.

a) OMV doesn't work in LXC.

Why not? Where is the problem? My thought was to install it the following way:

• create a debian jessie lxc in proxmox
    • echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    • apt-get update
    • apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    • apt-get install openmediavault
    • omv-initsystem

If it is really not possible to install omv in an lxc, I would do it in a kvm.

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Never tried it myself. Read this. Personally, OMV in a container (docker, lxc, etc) doesn't make sense to me.

• @ryecoaaron Ok, after reading the thread you mentioned, I am going to install omv in a kvm. Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Hi,
    Back again. After some issues with virtualbox again, I want to move my OMV2 into a Proxmox VM.
    My questions:
    - Can I migrate my OMV2 easily into a VM? If yes, how?
    - Is it possible to install the migratet OMV2 on the same SSD like Proxmox?
    - I have 4 HDDs (3 for Mergerfs and one for snapraid parity) -> is it possible to passtrough them directly into OMV2?
    - is it possible to use SMART and HD-idle? Where do I have to install it? In the guest?
    - my Server doesn't have IOMMU-support, but AMD-V. IOMMU is afaik only needed for pcie-passtrough. Is this correct?
    - I would like to monitor the Host and the Guests with munin. Will this work?

• - my Server doesn't have IOMMU-support, but AMD-V. IOMMU is afaik only needed for pcie-passtrough. Is this correct?

I am not 100% sure but you do need IOMMU support for any kind of pass-through not only PCI
    if your server does not have IOMMU ,AMD-V/VT-D you might not be able to pass through your HDD into VM.
    you can try though.

- Can I migrate my OMV2 easily into a VM? If yes, how?

the simplest thing would be to do one of those,
    #1. do a full backup of your OMV OS drive with clonezilla or similar software and tan do a restore within new VM under Proxmox. make sure that your VM has same memory foot print and CPU count as the hardware, and the VM OS drive is the same size as the real HDD you are coming from.
    some backup software let you restore to a smaller drive but the new drive still need to be big enough to hold all the data the old one did.

#2. there are P2V converters apps that will let you convert an existing physical setup to virtual drive. there might be more steps involved going this route in comparison to #1
    here are some links to tools I found,
    virt-p2v tool , or How-to convert Physical ot KVM or this one looks more promssing

- Is it possible to install the migratet OMV2 on the same SSD like Proxmox?

not sure what you mean by that...
    aren't you moving the OMV to VM? than how woudl it be installed on the same SSD as Proxmox?

is it possible to use SMART and HD-idle? Where do I have to install it? In the guest?

if you do physical pass-through into VM than I believe SMART and idle would work just as if the drives where on physical machine. in-fact the whole setup should look and feel as if they were attached to physical machine from this perspective.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!