ssh and putty

• This question harks back to the very first post relating to the initial installation package. Step 4 reads:
    "4. After rebooted, you SSH in as root using the default password "root". You may need to clear your ~/.ssh/known_hosts file or your SSH client may refuse to connect."

Well, this is exactly what has happened: connection was refused to my SSH client. Now, how the heck does one clear the known_host file if there is no connection??? I'm surprised no one else ran into this catch 22. Clues, please... :?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also make sure you enable ssh from the web interface. It isn't enabled by default.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat

remove the known_hosts from the machine you are trying to log in from, not the OMV machine.

So, I searched for a "known_hosts" file but none showed up in any directory on my Win 7 machine. In what directory would it normally hide? I use PuTTY for the terminal - perhaps a config file there or some such thing? I scanned the PuTTY interface for same but nothing was apparent. I also checked the Windows Host.ics file in "%systemroot% \system32\drivers\etc" but there was no reference to the Pogoplug or any ssh device. Again :?

Zitat

Also make sure you enable ssh from the web interface. It isn't enabled by default.

Assume you mean from the Pogoplug web interface, which is no longer accessible once the Debian installation has begun, right? SSH had to be enabled at the very beginning, and I assume is maintained throughout this whole process. I know of no other way to affect this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This will answer your question where but with putty, you can choose to still accept the new key. It just warns you and would not block the connection. Still sounds like ssh isn't turned on or the port is wrong/blocked by router.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Wow, this is getting off into the weeds, yes?! So I checked the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY stuff and it's all there. So, do I delete the Pogoplug SshHostKeys or clear out the Sessions, restart, and assume the values will reset properly? Also, I am using port 22 (default for ssh, I'm told) same as has always worked.

When I start the PuTTY session with the (correct) IP address, I get the naked cursor with no prompt text and after several seconds: "Network error: Software caused connection abort" Hmmm...

I would think something very simple is amiss having to do w/ operator error :o , otherwise this problem would have shown up with more people, no?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "1coyote1"

Wow, this is getting off into the weeds, yes?!

Yes, it is. Split to its own topic.

Zitat von "1coyote1"

Wow, this is getting off into the weeds, yes?! So I checked the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY stuff and it's all there. So, do I delete the Pogoplug SshHostKeys or clear out the Sessions, restart, and assume the values will reset properly? Also, I am using port 22 (default for ssh, I'm told) same as has always worked.

When I start the PuTTY session with the (correct) IP address, I get the naked cursor with no prompt text and after several seconds: "Network error: Software caused connection abort" Hmmm...

I would think something very simple is amiss having to do w/ operator error :o , otherwise this problem would have shown up with more people, no?

Very strange. Maybe try disabling ssh from web interface and then re-enabling. It would be interesting to see your /etc/ssh/sshd_config. Also, I would boot up a bootable linux distro and try ssh from there.

• Zitat

It would be interesting to see your /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

There is no such file on my machine (Win7) nor that directory.

Zitat

try disabling ssh from web interface and then re-enabling.

The Pogoplug web interface is no longer accessible, since the Debian installation terminated that process, and the device show up as "offline".

Zitat

Also, I would boot up a bootable linux distro and try ssh from there.

You mean a linux distro installed on a USB drive on the Pogoplug or my Win7 laptop?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The sshd_config is on the pogoplug. Yes, the distro can be on a usb stick or cd and booted on your laptop.

• Eureka! I deleted the value for the PuTTY SshHostKeys, rebooted, restarted the Pogoplug, ssh'ed back in, was told that the keys did not match, accepted that fact, then was allowed to log in! :lol:

As for the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file on the Pogoplug, neither the file exists ("find / -name sshd_config") nor the /etc/ssh/ directory.

So I gather from this that the solution was to clear the PuTTY ssh key in the Windows registry. So it appears to be clearing the registry, not a known_hosts file.

Thanks so much for your patience and compassion!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Good to hear it works. The known_hosts file is only on a Linux client.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!