Acces to my omv nas from internet

• Hi All,

I am new to this forum and also to the use of ovm. I set up a very basic nas in my home network, it is a raspberry Pi 3 with a 500GB USB HDD connected. In my Home network all works well, but i would like to have acces from the internet to my nas, for example upload vacation pic's from abroad, or play my music when I am not at home (at work, hotel etc...)

But I have no clue how it's done :/ ....

I searched this forum, but it seems like you're all talking in Chinese so I didn't really find what I am looking for. I already found out that my ISP provides a dynamic WANIP, so that changes about every 10 days. But I am sure there is a way to achieve my goal....

Anyone can put me on the right track? I noticed there are also German post, well I understand German, but I can't write it....

Thanx already guys :thumbup:

• Welcome,

the first keyword to search is VPN (virtual private network).
    OMV has an OpenVPN plugin. You can use that, or an (Open)-VPN Server on your router if that is supported.
    You could also forward some ports on your router to your server; but that is not recommended under security aspects.

The other keyword is DynDNS. DynDNS binds your changing IP adress to a constant DNS-name.

• Hi There,

Thanx for you reply, that from the VPN I don't understand (yet), the thing about the DNS is becoming clearer to me. So I suppose I have to create an account with a "dyndns" service, and enter this data in my router?

I found a "dynamic DNS" setting in the router configuration.... I'll get to that tomorrow....

• Hi There,

I found and installed the OpenVPN plugin on the ovm.
    I made a free account with no-ip, created a hostname and linked it to my WANIP, then set this configuration into my router, saved and there it says connected. I installed the no-ip program to keep udating my WANIP to my hostname...

The problem is that I have no clue of what I have to do with the OpenVPN, or how to link the hostname and VPN to acces my nas from the internet.... Is that also done in the router?

• Hi There,

he problem is that I have no clue of what I have to do with the OpenVPN, or how to link the hostname and VPN to acces my nas from the internet.... Is that also done in the router?

When your OpenVPN server is up and running, you have to make it reachable from outside. That means, you'll have to forward the used port (typically udp 1194) from wan to your OpenVPN server. This has to be done on your router.

To gain access from outside you need a OpenVPN-client-software for your client-device.
    There are clients for windows, android, iphone...
    The configuration steps differ all a little bit, so it depends.

As I don't know the OpenVPN pluging, I can't help you at that point as I use my OpenWRT router as OpenVPN server.
    But usually there are some certificates+keys created which must be imported in your OpenVPN-client and the client configurations must match your server configurations.

• Thank you for your explanation, it all becomes clearer to me...

So to use a VPN tunnel, I need client software on the device that I will use to connect to my nas..

Isn't there a more " direct" way, like just with a webbrowser, kind a like i do when I am using the nas inside the homenetwork, I just type "//MyNasName" and use userdata to log on....
    so from outside the homenetwork something like "//MyHostname.ddns.org/MyNasName"
    or does that kind of connection have security issues??

For now i'll try it by using the OpenVPN plugin.... Is ther a step by step guide available on how to configure it???

Thank you all ^^

• Isn't there a more " direct" way, like just with a webbrowser, kind a like i do when I am using the nas inside the homenetwork, I just type "//MyNasName" and use userdata to log on....

If the tunnel is established, your device "is in your lan".
    So you can just type "//MyNasName" in your browser.

so from outside the homenetwork something like "//MyHostname.ddns.org/MyNasName"
    or does that kind of connection have security issues??

You can forward port 80 and 443 from wan to your nas.
    But keep in mind, that millions of users and robots scan the internet for open ports and try to login to these services.
    So I would NOT do that.
    But an OpenVPN tunnel is normally concidered as "secure".

• Thank you..... I didn't know that about the OpenVPN tunnel....

I cannot start the OpenVPN.... I get following error:

Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'openvpn' start 2>&1': Starting virtual private network daemon: server failed! invoke-rc.d: initscript openvpn, action "start" failed.

I left all default settings;
    I activated PAM authentication, because I understood then I can log on with my ovm user data...
    At Public Adress I entered "MyHostName.ddns.net"

• This is what i entered as settings, I have no idea what's wrong.... I read Setting up openvpn and according to that it should work,
    But this is what I get from ovm:

Error #4000:exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'openvpn' start 2>&1': Starting virtual private network daemon: server failed!invoke-rc.d: initscript openvpn, action "start" failed.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc:176Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(141): OMVSysVInitScript->invoke('start')
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(61): OMVSysVInitScript->start()
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/openvpn.inc(120): OMVSysVInitScript->exec()
    #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(206): OMVModuleOpenVpn->startService()
    #4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(158): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(224): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #8 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
    #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
    #11 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
    #12 {main}

In certificates there is nothing, I assume they are created after the start?

• Sorry,

I don't know the plugin.
    But I think that the certificate should not be empty.
    In brief:
    Typically (eg my installation) you create a Certificate Authority on your server.
    Then you create certificates and keys for your clients.
    Your client needs the server- and client- certificates and the client key file.
    If your client then is configured correctly (cipher etc.pp. / that depends on your server-config), it will get access with these credentials.
    But there are a couple of ways to go with OpenVPN.
    Perhaps someone who knows the plugin can help you more...

• Not sure if this make a different, try this:

Enter this for an example in the "extra options" : push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"
    Your gateway may be different.

If you want a fancy way to access to your NAS and share with other users, you can install a web server such as NextCloud or Seafile.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Waaw... It took me blood sweat and tears, but I got the VPN up and running...... :thumbup:

I could logon from my laptop using the 4G internet connection from my phone, the tunnel was established, I am connected.....

But I don't know how to acces the shared folders on my nas..... if i type the NAS IP adress in the browser, it opens the ovm web interface, And if I logon as user there I can only acces my user data.......

How can I actually acces my files then??? ?(

• I really tought that vpn a tunnel would virtually put me in my "lan", and let me use it that way.. so lets say type "smb://MyNasName/MySharedFolderName" in finder or safari , and then see the files in the shared folder available....
    Then what else can I do with this VPN connection?
    Could you tell me a lil bit more about the remote share feature in OMV? I haven't found such a thing..... or is it a extra plugin?

In te mean time I'll check the "cloud" options out.....

• Offizieller Beitrag

I really tought that vpn a tunnel would virtually put me in my "lan", and let me use it that way.

You can. I do it with my work laptop all the time. Just depends on the vpn setup which I know nothing about.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I did nothing special with vpn setup.... Settings are like in the picture i posted earlyer, i created a certificate and downloaded it.
    On the other side on my macbook, I installed tunnelblick where I uploaded my .conf file from the certificate.
    Since I selected PAM authentication, i logon with my user data from my NAS and the connection is established....

If you have it working like i would like mine works, I would be grateful if you helped me setting it up...

My knowledge on this subject is to little, and the available information is so overwhelming that I don't see the trees trough the forest anymore.....
    But I am pretty sure, if someone would guide me trough it, trough the forest of settings, that I can make it work......

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you have it working like i would like mine works, I would be grateful if you helped me setting it up...

My knowledge on this subject is to little, and the available information is so overwhelming that I don't see the trees trough the forest anymore.....
    But I am pretty sure, if someone would guide me trough it, trough the forest of settings, that I can make it work......

I don't have it working. My company does. I was just letting you know it is possible. My knowledge on vpn is almost nothing. Hopefully someone else can help.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I honestly wouldn't go with the VPN setup personally. As a novice, I believe that what you want is a web-based method for accessing your files from any device, without any extra software.

You can set up Nextcloud (ex-Owncloud) to access them, sync, and share, just like Dropbox/Google Cloud/Sky Drive...

Unfortunately, setting up Nextcloud isn't trivial, but there are multiple howto's floating around to get it working in Debian or OMV. There used to be a plugin for OMV, but it's outdated and I wouldn't recommend using it.

• Nextcloud installation is similar to OwnCloud, but faster and with more features.
    With the basic Linux knowledge, you can finish the setup within 40 mins.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!