RSync run automatically on a regular basis

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Give a screenshot of your settings and tell the schedule you are trying to use.

Just trying to do a simple local sync...

Here.. it's set for "every 5min".. I know that is ridiculous, but that is what I was using as a test. The weird thing is, looking at my logs, it looks like it's running

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I stand corrected.. changing the "11" to "*" seems to have resolved the problem, and my rsync job has ran every 5min for the last 20min.

So I guess my question now is.. what is the check mark for if it's still checking values that are not checked.

Thanks.

• Because it SHOULD check them. If you set a value it runs at exactly 11 o'clock every 5 mins. If you hit the Nth marker, it runs every 11 hours!

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• David, he knew it would run every 5 minutes. The checkmark is like a repeat function. With 11 in hours and 5 in minutes you would not put a check on minutes. If you want the server to backup every 11 hours and 5 minutes you would but a check on the 11. If you are putting a check on the minutes value there should be no hour value. If you use week, or month, you do not need check on day, minute or hour. The checkmark for day, minute or hour would go on whichever value is greatest (e.g. so if you use day, hour and minute you would only put checkmark on the day value). Hope that helps.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

David, he knew it would run every 5 minutes. The checkmark is like a repeat function. With 11 in hours and 5 in minutes you would not put a check on minutes. If you want the server to backup every 11 hours and 5 minutes you would but a check on the 11. If you are putting a check on the minutes value there should be no hour value. If you use week, or month, you do not need check on day, minute or hour. The checkmark for day, minute or hour would go on whichever value is greatest (e.g. so if you use day, hour and minute you would only put checkmark on the day value). Hope that helps.

Ok, it's working.. albeit very strangely.

Can't quite figure this one out. I've got a feeling I'm missing something again. I just happened to notice this when I checked the rsync log. The jobs are running as scheduled now, but when they run at their scheduled times, they are running repeatedly for an hour, despite there being no changes needing to be synced, etc. You would think if there were no changes needing to be synced, it would simply stop running.

So what am I missing now?

• Could you pls post the output of

Code
    cat /etc/cron.d/openmediavault-rsync

again?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• You need to specify which minute during that hour you want job to start. Put a zero for minute but no checkmark. Then it will just run once, or repeat every 5 hrs if you have a checkmark on the hours.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

You need to specify which minute during that hour you want job to start. Put a zero for minute but no checkmark. Then it will just run once, or repeat every 5 hrs if you have a checkmark on the hours.

Hmm, strange if you ask me. You would think the hours would over ride the minutes, the days would over ride the hours, etc. I don't remember this behavior before, but I never paid much attention to the logs. So if you have just a day set, and everything else set to * does it run every 10sec for 24hrs, on that particular day? That seems to be what you're saying. I just changed it to 5hrs, and 0 minutes, that should set it to run every 5hrs, like I wanted. I'll let you know tomorrow how it works out.

Thanks again.

• It really is a bizarre setup. The hours do override minutes and days override hours when you use the checkmark, frequency of job. That's why you can't put a checkmark on minutes if you are using hours too and why you can't have anything in the hours field if you want a job to run every 30 minutes. It's just strange and why so many people are having problems. I learned how it worked many years ago trying to setup cron jobs for powering down. If you look at system/powermanagement/ and then on right shutdown/reboot schedule tab you will see it works similarly.

PS- If you have 1 for day with a checkmark, a 6 in the hour field, and a 0 for minute it will not go 30 hrs before next job. This means frequency will be every day and the job will run at 6am. You just have to get used to it. So you should think as the largest value field selected as a period of time (e.g. day in this 6am job) that repeats, if checkmark selected. And the snaller values (e.g. hours & minutes) to be an interval within that period which will begin to be timed at same time as the beginning of each period. Make sense???

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

It really is a bizarre setup. The hours do override minutes and days override hours when you use the checkmark, frequency of job. That's why you can't put a checkmark on minutes if you are using hours too and why you can't have anything in the hours field if you want a job to run every 30 minutes. It's just strange and why so many people are having problems. I learned how it worked many years ago trying to setup cron jobs for powering down. If you look at system/powermanagement/ and then on right shutdown/reboot schedule tab you will see it works similarly.

PS- If you have 1 for day with a checkmark, a 6 in the hour field, and a 0 for minute it will not go 30 hrs before next job. This means frequency will be every day and the job will run at 6am. You just have to get used to it. So you should think as the largest value field selected as a period of time (e.g. day in this 6am job) that repeats, if checkmark selected. And the snaller values (e.g. hours & minutes) to be an interval within that period which will begin to be timed at same time as the beginning of each period. Make sense???

Now that it has been explained to me, yes. It still strikes me as odd. I never noticed this w/ my rsync jobs before (my guess is, I just never checked the logs... )

Anyway, it looks like setting the hours to 5, and the minutes to 0, along with a check mark next to "hours" and everything else *.. has resolved the problem. My job ran at the 5hr mark, 1 time, and that was it.

Thanks for your help on this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!