Install OMV on Debian, Qnap TS-109 II

• Hello there,

I now have an older Qnap TS-109 NAS where I installed Debian Jessie, and fully updated it. I corrected the default behaviour of qcontrol where a fan error would be reported on this unit that doesn't have any fan. I modified the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list to include repos from Stoneburner (guided by this blog post), and tried to install it with

apt-get install openmediavault

But received this error trying to do it:
    openmediavault : Dépend: php5-pam mais ne sera pas installé
    Dépend: proftpd-mod-vroot mais ne sera pas installé
    Dépend: php5-proctitle mais ne sera pas installé
    E: Impossible de corriger les problèmes, des paquets défectueux sont en mode « garder en l'état ».

Meaning some broken packages are held.

However,

Code
    dpkg --get-selections | grep hold

returns nothing.

What could be the underlying issue?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Stoneburner is OMV 2.x which requires Debian Wheezy.

Erasmus is OMV 3.x which requires Debian Jessie.

So use erasmus.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• So I replaced the line
    deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main

with
    deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main

updated, installed OMV.
    On the first dialog about RAID setup, even though this unit doesn't have RAID, I left "all", since sometimes single drives have an software RAID setup.

But near the end, I got this error:
    flash-kernel: installing version 3.16.0-4-orion5x

The initial ramdisk is too large. This is often due to the unnecessary inclusion
    of all kernel modules in the image. To fix this set MODULES=dep in one or both
    /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/driver-policy (if it exists) and
    /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and then run 'update-initramfs -u -k 3.16.0-4-orion5x'

Not enough space for initrd in MTD 'RootFS1' (need 5784993 but is actually 4194304).
    run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//flash-kernel exited with return code 1

So I compressed initram according to these instructions: https://www.cyrius.com/debian/…p/ts-109/troubleshooting/

and tried to install openmediavault package again. Turns out it was installed, so I rebooted just to make sure compressing the initramfs wouldn't brick it. It works, but now the SSH server has been disabled, which is a pain.

The Web interface of OMV is available, and I can log in, but I am constantly nagged by this unhelpful message box:

If I repeatedly try to reload, sometimes I can see the complete page, but I couldn't get syslog to display.

What could be happening?

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV works on most arm systems but there must be some custom things going on with the distro that is conflicting with OMV. Not sure. Can you go to the ssh page first to enable it? This is where a serial cable really helps.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I got the serial cable finally working in Ubuntu! Making sure the TX pin from the CP2102 dongle was connected to the RX pin of the TS-109, and vice-versa.
    From boot time, here is what I see:

End of log:
    [ OK ] Started LSB: manage the statistics collection daemon.
    openmediavault 3.0.35 (Erasmus) NASAD13D6 ttyS0
    Copyright (C) 2009-2016 by Volker Theile. All rights reserved.
    To manage the system visit the openmediavault web control panel:

eth0: 192.168.1.9

By default the web control panel administrator account has the
    username 'admin' and password 'openmediavault'.
    It is recommended that you change the password for this account
    within the web control panel or using the 'omv-firstaid' CLI
    command.

For more information regarding this appliance, please visit the
    web site: http://www.openmediavault.org

NASAD13D6 login:

Full log:
    http://pastebin.com/kQg8wswF

Using the serial console, it accepts the admin /openmediavault login pair, but then says "this account is not available", and kicks me back to the login prompt.
    I can log in successfully with user / password pair I created when installing Debian, then do a su afterward.

Scanning the ports, I see 80 is open, but the OMV page isn't shown.

Where does the issue comes from?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I dont' see anything in the boot process. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep openm

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try (first line for ssh if you want to use it instead of serial).

systemctl start ssh
    systemctl stop openmediavault-engined
    omv-engined -df

• Offizieller Beitrag

killall omv-engined && omv-engined -df

• Here it is:
    http://pastebin.com/0GHNdF6V

I can log in in the web interface, but still receive this ugly message box. On the serial console, I receive:

omv-engined[3626]: Child process forked (pid=3626)
    omv-engined[3626]: Executing RPC (service=UserMgmt, method=authUser, params={"username":"admin","password":"openmediavault"}, context={"user
    name":"admin","role":1,"_SERVER":{"SERVER_PROTOCOL":"HTTP\/1.1","GATEWAY_INTERFACE":"CGI\/1.1","SERVER_SOFTWARE":"nginx\/1.6.2","REMOTE_ADDR
    ":"::ffff:192.168.1.20","REMOTE_PORT":"63484","SERVER_ADDR":"::ffff:192.168.1.9","SERVER_PORT":"1080","SERVER_NAME":"openmediavault-webgui",
    "REDIRECT_STATUS":"200","HTTP_HOST":"192.168.1.9:1080","HTTP_USER_AGENT":"Mozilla\/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:48.0) Gecko\/2010
    0101 Firefox\/48.0","HTTP_CONTENT_TYPE":"application\/json","HTTP_REFERER":"http:\/\/192.168.1.9:1080\/"}}) ...
    omv-engined[3626]: RPC response (service=UserMgmt, method=authUser): {"response":{"authenticated":true,"username":"admin"},"error":null}
    omv-engined[3517]: SIGCHLD received ...
    omv-engined[3517]: Child (pid=3626) terminated with exit code 0

I try again, and get a blank page from OMV, and this from the serial console;

omv-engined[3653]: Child process forked (pid=3653)
    omv-engined[3653]: Executing RPC (service=UserMgmt, method=authUser, params={"username":"admin","password":"openmediavault"}, context={"user
    name":"admin","role":1,"_SERVER":{"SERVER_PROTOCOL":"HTTP\/1.1","GATEWAY_INTERFACE":"CGI\/1.1","SERVER_SOFTWARE":"nginx\/1.6.2","REMOTE_ADDR
    ":"::ffff:192.168.1.20","REMOTE_PORT":"63508","SERVER_ADDR":"::ffff:192.168.1.9","SERVER_PORT":"1080","SERVER_NAME":"openmediavault-webgui",
    "REDIRECT_STATUS":"200","HTTP_HOST":"192.168.1.9:1080","HTTP_USER_AGENT":"Mozilla\/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:48.0) Gecko\/2010
    0101 Firefox\/48.0","HTTP_CONTENT_TYPE":"application\/json","HTTP_REFERER":"http:\/\/192.168.1.9:1080\/"}}) ...
    omv-engined[3653]: RPC response (service=UserMgmt, method=authUser): {"response":{"authenticated":true,"username":"admin"},"error":null}
    omv-engined[3517]: Child (pid=3653) terminated with exit code 0

Reload again, I finally see most of OMV's interface, with the same "Error" box. Serial console doesn't output anything new.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Cubytus () aus folgendem Grund: More details.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should try logging in and seeing what errors you get.

• See above.

I see scrolling messages very similar to this extract (couldn't get them all);

v-engined[3517]: SIGCHLD received ...
    omv-engined[3517]: Child (pid=3962) terminated with exit code 0
    omv-engined[3965]: RPC response (service=System, method=getInformation): {"response":[{"name":"Hostname","value":"NASAD13D6.example.org","ty
    pe":"string","index":0},{"name":"Version","value":"3.0.35 (Erasmus)","type":"string","index":1},{"name":"Processor","value":"Feroceon rev 0
    (v5l)","type":"string","index":2},{"name":"Kernel","value":"Linux 3.16.0-4-orion5x","type":"string","index":3},{"name":"System time","value"
    :"ven 16 sep 2016 13:47:53 EDT","type":"string","index":4},{"name":"Uptime","value":"0 days 1 hour 28 minutes 7 seconds","type":"string","in
    dex":5},{"name":"Load average","value":"7.73, 3.81, 1.61","type":"string","index":6},{"name":"CPU usage","value":{"text":"100%","value":100}
    ,"type":"progress","index":7},{"name":"Memory usage","value":{"text":"32% of 249.48 MiB","value":32},"type":"progress","index":8}],"error":n
    ull}
    omv-engined[3517]: Child (pid=3965) terminated with exit code 0
    omv-engined[3960]: RPC response (service=Services, method=getStatus): {"response":{"total":7,"data":[{"name":"ftp","title":"FTP","enabled":f
    alse,"running":true},{"name":"nfs","title":"NFS","enabled":false,"running":true},{"name":"rsyncd","title":"RSync server","enabled":false,"ru
    nning":false},{"name":"samba","title":"SMB\/CIFS","enabled":false,"running":true},{"name":"snmp","title":"SNMP","enabled":false,"running":tr
    ue},{"name":"ssh","title":"SSH","enabled":true,"running":true},{"name":"tftp","title":"TFTP","enabled":false,"running":false}]},"error":null
    }

They look very similar

• Offizieller Beitrag

No errors there. That all looks normal. Can you go to other tabs? The system info page can be cpu intensive on slow systems that may cause the connection error messages.

• I can quickly click some other tabs, but still receive the same "Error" box as in the first post. In the console, still the same messages:

omv-engined[4882]: Child process forked (pid=4882)
    omv-engined[4884]: Child process forked (pid=4884)
    omv-engined[3517]: Child (pid=4850) terminated with exit code 0
    omv-engined[4882]: Executing RPC (service=CertificateMgmt, method=getSshList, params={"start":0,"limit":25,"sortfield":"comment","sortdir":"
    ASC"}, context={"username":"admin","role":1}) ...
    omv-engined[4882]: RPC response (service=CertificateMgmt, method=getSshList): {"response":{"total":0,"data":[]},"error":null}
    omv-engined[4884]: Executing RPC (service=CertificateMgmt, method=getList, params={"start":0,"limit":25,"sortfield":"name","sortdir":"ASC"},
    context={"username":"admin","role":1}) ...
    omv-engined[4884]: RPC response (service=CertificateMgmt, method=getList): {"response":{"total":0,"data":[]},"error":null}
    omv-engined[3517]: Child (pid=4882) terminated with exit code 0
    omv-engined[3517]: Child (pid=4884) terminated with exit code 0
    omv-engined[4848]: RPC response (service=Services, method=getStatus): {"response":{"total":7,"data":[{"name":"ftp","title":"FTP","enabled":f
    alse,"running":true},{"name":"nfs","title":"NFS","enabled":false,"running":true},{"name":"rsyncd","title":"RSync server","enabled":false,"ru
    nning":false},{"name":"samba","title":"SMB\/CIFS","enabled":false,"running":true},{"name":"snmp","title":"SNMP","enabled":false,"running":tr
    ue},{"name":"ssh","title":"SSH","enabled":true,"running":true},{"name":"tftp","title":"TFTP","enabled":false,"running":false}]},"error":null
    }
    omv-engined[3517]: Child (pid=4848) terminated with exit code 0

If the dashboard is that intensive on the CPU, wouldn't it be a better idea to default to another page, when the system is already busy loading the interface itself?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the dashboard is that intensive on the CPU, wouldn't it be a better idea to default to another page, when the system is already busy loading the interface itself?

I just looked up the specs of your system. It has a 500 Mhz cpu and 128 mb (maybe 256 mb) ram. That is very slow and the system might be swapping. I haven't tried OMV 3.x on an RPi1 but it might have the same issues. I really don't think your system is going to be a good OMV 3.x candidate.

• It has 256MB RAM, but not swapping yet, only 60MB used.

The low resources was indeed my concern installing Debian Jessie on this system. Maybe it's fast enough for a non - GUI system, but not for a detailed interface like OMV. also, I assume OMV 3 is heavier on resources than OMV 2.

The lower resources may be the reason why Qnap didn't upgrade this system in two years.

Would there be a lighter and up-to-date GUI to run on it? I thought nginx would be low enough on resources...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not swapping but not doing anything yet.

OMV 2.x and OMV 3.x are probably equal for resources.

Obviously, I'm not here to suggest other alternatives to OMV :) nginx is not the problem. It is the amount of services and monitoring running on the system. I would turn off monitoring (if you can) and see if that helps. I would also install the flashmemory plugin.

• Indeed it doesn't seem to do much, except putting a high load on the CPU while OMV interface is loaded (above 6).

How would I turn off monitoring and install this plugin from the command line, even the serial interface, if possible? OMV's web interface is currently unusable due to these issues. I am also curious to know what would the flashmemory plugin would change, since the OS and OMV are running off a regular HDD

• Offizieller Beitrag

To disable monitoring from command line, change enable to 0 in the following part of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml:

XML
    <monitoring>
          <perfstats>
            <enable>0</enable>
          </perfstats>
        </monitoring>

then
    omv-mkconf collectd
    omv-mkconf monit
    reboot

I recommended using flash memory because it seems like it makes the web interface faster since a lot of things are coming from ram instead of disk. Since you aren't swapping, I thought it would be worth a shot.
    To install flash memory:
    omv-aptclean
    apt-get install openmediavault-flashmemory

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!