Pi-Hole - Network wide Ad blocking

• so it seems to hang on checking iproute2 not sure where to go from here..

i installed it on ubuntu just to play around and I like it... just would really like to get it running on here.

I think I read something somewhere about iproute 2 but of course can't find that now. lol

• So I had to apt-get iproute2 and it broke omv. Removed a bunch of stuff I'm guessing I needed. Its a test box so its not a big deal but is there a fix for this? I'd really like to find a way to get this working.

• Instead of building your own pi to block ad servers at the DNS, you can use this free service that already exists called Alternate DNS unless you just like testing and building things.

I'm not sure I like routing my traffic somewhere else... Though I'm not super sure how the DNS works. The idea of it being in house is more appealing

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

any news about an OMV plugin?

This wouldn't be an easy plugin. The pi-hole script is over 1000 lines and it calls other install scripts. It installs another web server (port conflicts) and looks like it tries to configure configs that OMV controls as well. I might look at what the script is doing. Seems easier to just setup an RPi to do this though.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• For those that are following along I got this up and running in VirtualBox. Seems to be working fine.

GTvert90, this is my planed first VirtualBox project. At this moment I do not know a peep about vBox, so seems, to me, to be a solid starting block. Advice would be appreciated.

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • So I'm running OMV 3.0 on top of a Debian 8.7 installation. Can I simply ssh into Debian and install pi-hole? Will the pi-hole webserver conflict with the OMV webserver? The system has dual LAN, so maybe I could run pi-hole on the other interface? Although I'd rather not if I didn't have to...

• Pi-Hole is based on dnsmasq, so if you have any dns stuff set up on your OMV machine, it will screw that up. It also has its own web server.

It's probably safer to run it in a VM or a docker container.

• Pi-Hole is based on dnsmasq, so if you have any dns stuff set up on your OMV machine, it will screw that up. It also has its own web server.

It's probably safer to run it in a VM or a docker container.

i personally agree to this approach.
    Currently i'm using Pi-Hole based on DietPi VM (http://dietpi.com). Actually DietPi does offer plenty of useful setups.
    I myself have now two VM in operation 1. PiHole 2. NextCloud (with SMB access to my OMV shares)
    Setup was not to complicated and it simply works out of the box without screwing my OMV setup :)

• i personally agree to this approach.Currently i'm using Pi-Hole based on DietPi VM (http://dietpi.com). Actually DietPi does offer plenty of useful setups.
    I myself have now two VM in operation 1. PiHole 2. NextCloud (with SMB access to my OMV shares)
    Setup was not to complicated and it simply works out of the box without screwing my OMV setup :)

So you have a VM on your OMV machine running DietPi and pi-hole? Does the pi-hole have the same IP address as OMV? Is OMV running in VM as well or on bare metal? I have debian running with OMV as a service, what's the best way to get a VM of dietpi going? The machine is running headless.

If all this will be a giant headache, I'll probably consider getting some Pi hardware to run this on.

• @jollyrogr

My current setup is:

• OMV on Debian
    • installed virtualbox plugin in OMV
    • two virtualbox VM based on dietpi distro (http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=390)
      • PiHole with a fixed IP which is different from OMV IP adress
      • NextCloud with DHCP IP adress which is different from OMV IP adress
        Access to OMV user data through SMB/CIFS

Setup of PiHole and configuration of router settings took me half an hour and now it's operating fine since 1 week without hazzle.
    Pros:

• no additional hardware required => no invest
    • no additional power concumption (i know Pi current draw is small ;) )
    • no additonal hardware i have to take care of
    • if PiHole breaks it won't affect OMV setup directly (same for NextCloud!)
    • especially DietPi VM comes with a relatively small footprint => no demanding VM
    • my Core i3 NAS will be utilized in a better way

Cons:

• i'm relying on virtualbox plugin and i do hope that it will be supported in upcoming releases (MANY THANKS TO ryecoaaron!!!)
    • i'm relying on dietpi VM and i do hope that it will be supported in upcoming releases
    • ... tbd

All in all, right know i'm happy with this setup. By trend i do think it might be better to have a combination of OMV focussing on fileservices (BTRFS, SNAPRAID, ZFS, Unionfilessystem, SMB/CIFS, AFP, NFS, FTP, timemachine, Antivrus ...) with VM with dedicated servers (i.e. PiHole, NextCloud, PLEX, ...). This would easier the maintenance/development of OMV for the OMV team. Again many thanks for the effort to Volker and all the other guys maintaining the distro!!!

Regards
    UZI

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!