New OMV User, Upgradability Questions?

• Hi,

Basically looking for a home NAS solution. Downloading both the Raspberry Pi and X64 images.

Now for my questions…

I'd love to have it work for the Raspberry Pi, but wanted to know if I can install additional software (3rd party) on top of the Open Media Vault installation. I mean like we install on top of Raspbian. My typical installations include MinimServer, Samba, Deluge, etc. I see OMV takes care of many of them with the help of plug-ins, but I wanted to check for functionality that is not in-built or available via plug-ins.

Thanks!

• Hey guys,

A couple more noob questions. I have moved from the Raspberry Pi to a PC, and I am currently running Open Media Vault on a 64 bit PC, and on a SATA hard drive. I have ordered a 32 GB SSD that I intend to use for the OS.

I have not added any data drives, and this is where I have a couple of questions.

1. Can I add data drives with existing data and without the need to format them? If so any specific format like exFAT?
    2. If option 1 is not a possibility, and if I add new drives and copy data on them now and then add the SSD and install Open Media Vault on the new SSD, will it recognize and access the data drives or will I need to format them and add the data all over again?

I don't intend to use RAID, will just be throwing in 3 hard drives and using them to store and access data from on the local network.

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

• 1. Can I add data drives with existing data and without the need to format them? If so any specific format like exFAT?

EXT4 or XFS please.

2. If option 1 is not a possibility, and if I add new drives and copy data on them now and then add the SSD and install Open Media Vault on the new SSD, will it recognize and access the data drives or will I need to format them and add the data all over again?

Absolutely. You can fully exchange your hardware, reinstall OMV completely fresh - still just a single mount click is necessary to use your existing drives you used with OMV before.

• Absolutely. You can fully exchange your hardware, reinstall OMV completely fresh - still just a single mount click is necessary to use your existing drives you used with OMV before.

Yes, but you will lose your configuration and you have to redo it on the pc. Take screen shots and a verbatim copy of the config.xml file

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Yes, but you will lose your configuration and you have to redo it on the pc. Take screen shots and a verbatim copy of the config.xml file

Ok, I'll make a note of that. Would be easier if an export/import option for settings was there. Still learning OMV... Linux noob.

• You can use Clonezilla to clone it to the new drive.
    I think there is a command that you need to do with the net config, and it's done.

Be carfull with that, @jmorris is changing processor architectur. I'm pretty sure an PC will not boot with a RasPi image.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can install whatever you want. But note, OMV will not take care about other installed software. If you have to modify files controlled by OMV by hand, then they might be overwritten by OMV again if the configuration has been changed.

• Zoki,

It doesn't matter whether he is running on a bare metal or VM, as long as he clone the host image to the same/bigger size of hard drive,
    It'll work.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Status update, installed on the PC, and added a couple of data drives. Not running RAID at the moment.

Setting up Samba SMB/CIFS was a real pain for a couple of hours, nothing I did seemed to work, and my Windows desktop kept giving authentication error. Give up on it, went to bed, and today it worked right off the bat by simply creating a new user/password and setting up a shared folder.

Right now only running a network share, the speeds are excellent and on par with what I get from my Synology, and certainly a huge step up from the Raspberry Pi.

Thanks for the replies guys, I hugely appreciate it all.

Now I'm going to go and tinker some more with all the plug-ins and see what added functionality I can add, but considering the cost savings (especially considered to what I paid for the Synology and the fact that the hardware is multiple times more powerful) it brings a huge smile to my face even for simple network sharing and network attached storage functionality.

• Be carfull with that, @jmorris is changing processor architectur. I'm pretty sure an PC will not boot with a RasPi image.

My apologies, mmMust be lost in translation. I d/l both the Pi and the X64 images and gave it an initial run on the Pi before committing to purchasing additional h/w like PSU, HDDs, etc. The backup question was in regard to backing up the settings on the PC build.

Right now running and using on a PC.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!