Using different SSL certificates and ports

• Hi there,

I'm testing a few plugins on OMV to compare it with others systems like FreeNAS.

I'm really enjoying OMV at the moment however something that clearly differs both systems are the certificates management.

On FreeNAS i was able to create a self CA, and sign my own self-created certificates quite easily. Also there's an "export" button that let u export in .crt any certificate or authority created and .key for any keys.

I saw the certificate tab under OMV but it lacks management.

I'm also testing the webdav plugin wich is really better than the webdav on FreeNAS. However I'd like to use SSL for its connexion and I'd like to access it from public ip address.

Thus, I guess I have to create a SSL certificate with the CN = my-router-public-adress. But since there's no selection box under the "Webdav" plugin, if i add this certificate to the previously created one for the secured Https access with my CN = my-nas-local-ip-adress, will it choose automatically the right one ? since i can't specifiy any use there.

Also I'd like to have a separate port for webdav share & admin panel connexion. At the moment both are using the same port, wouldnt it be a security issue ?

In a nutshell :

- how to use a SSL cert for webdav AND another cert for OMV admin panel WebUi ?
    - how to use different ports for webdav and another one for OMV admin panel WebUi ?

Thanks for your help :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

how to use a SSL cert for webdav AND another cert for OMV admin panel WebUi ?

Use a nginx reverse proxy. For using the omv certs the plugin developer has to code the plugin using the cert omv backend. In this case since is a url the plugin is forced to use the omv web panel cert in case ssl is enabled.

- how to use different ports for webdav and another one for OMV admin panel WebUi ?

The webdav plugin was created using a url not a port. The option is simply not there. You can feature request or submit a PR in github for the change. I am pretty sure you can also use a reverse proxy to access via a port and silently nginx will pass to domain.com/webdav

• Hey thanks for your time.

However I'm quite new in IT and I have no clue what you are talking about.

Could you please help me with the keywords I should strike on google to learn more about it ?

thanks anyway.

• If you try to setup a web server, download the "Nginx" plugin.
    From there, you can choose whether you want your site to be a 'port-based' or 'name-based'.

Port-based: different sites, different port
    Name-based: multiple sites, same port.

There are alternative methods too.
    Just do some research.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Actually I'm trying to make a CIFS Share available for multi-users (around 30) with ACLs settings. Then this share has to be accessed from outside therefore I thought using webdav since it keeps all my work on users credentials and shared folders.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!