Unable to create Shared Folders

• Hi folks,

I have an HDD that had previously been installed in a windows server. It is formatted as NTFS. I had tried OMV 2.1 and began having issues with LetsEncrypt certificates not displaying in the list of SSL certs. At this point, I have the HDD attached as desired with several different services using the Shared Folders. I decide to install OMV 3. I shutdown the system, unplugged the NTFS drive, installed OMV 3. After all was operational, I shut down and plugged my drive back in. Re-powered the system and I see the drive under Physical Disks AND under File Systems. The file system IS mountable, so I mount it. I then proceed to create a Shared Folder... But no device displays in the list... So I restart... Still no go... I have searched Google and these forums, but other issues seem to involve RAID or ZFS or something else that doesn't exactly match my scenario. I have found on the WiKi that a Drive must be clean before building a Shared Folder, but this can't be true because I had no issue with the same drive under OMV 2.1 and I didn't clean it THEN. I thought about deleting the File System, but I saw a message stating that data will be deleted... Woah, nope can't do that, I have over a TB of data that I don't want to lose.

I am ready to start over again and put OMV 2.1 back on, but will I have the same problem? How do I share the drive if it won't show in Devices?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are many changes in OMV3 related to filesystems. Maybe that's the reason. Please notethat NTFS does not give you all features available with OMV because this file system is not POSIX compatible, so ACL's are not supported which make it very easy to set the user privileges. Think about using a real file system like EXT, XFS, JFS, BTRFS.

• Thank you @votdev, I have finished updating my system. I installed Windon't 7 just so that I could update the BIOS, then reinstalled OMV 2.1 and everything seems to be running as I intended. I will probably try to find another HDD to transfer my data to temporarily so that I can format my 2TB drive with EXT4. Thanks for the support.

• The regression is fixed in openmediavault 3.0.38, see https://github.com/openmediava…231f45a89fd2bd36e4ef0f95c.

Hi votdev,

Thanks for your help on this one.

I have a follow up question if thats ok?

You mention the the issue will be fixed in 0.38, when will that update get pushed out? Or if you can point me in the right direction i will attempt to build from github if thats a real thing to do?

Apologize for the newbie questions. Still learning.

Thanks

• OMV3 package release notes are not published during the beta phase. But i can tell you that it has been released some minutes ago.

Thanks votdev for your efforts.

I'm using ufsd driver from paragon-software.com to mount NTFS and HFS+ partitions. Can you please add "ufsd" as a shared folder file system candidate. I will greatly appreciate it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV can mount NTFS filesystems without the paragon driver. HFS+ is not. OSX can support some Linux filesystems. Why not switch to one of those? Once you have a NAS, you shouldn't need to plug the drive into the Mac again.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I use an external HDDs connected directly to my OMV using USB3 to copy files in and out of my OMV. These external HDDs are usually formatted with NTFS or HFS. I'm getting much faster write/read speeds than copying over wifi or even gigabit Ethernet.

I found out that with UFSD I get much better write speeds than with mount.ntfs . In addition, CPU utilization is substantially reduced. These are some benchmark tests I did:

mount.ntfs:
    Read : 77.4 MB/s with CPU utilization : ~22%
    Write : 39.9 MB/s with CPU utilization : ~72%
    *the CPU utilization mentioned above were taken by mount.ntfs process

ufsd:
    Read : 79.9 MB/s with added CPU utilization : 0%
    Write : 81.7 MB/s with added CPU utilization : 0%

As you can see, write speed is dramatically enhanced, as read speed is almost the same. In addition, a lot of CPU cycles are saved for both read and write, with huge save in write scenario.
    Furthermore, with ufsd you can have ACL which isn't possible in mount.ntfs.

I'm testing with purchased Pro version of "Paragon NTFS & HFS+ for Linux" to get some extra features and utilities, but they have a community Express version free to download with a working drivers (kernel module).

The issue I have now, is that once I mount the drive manually from command line, I won't be able to add it as shared folder. So I was thinking that it's might be due to the limitation once fixed and mentioned by @votdev :

The regression is fixed in openmediavault 3.0.38, see https://github.com/openmediava…231f45a89fd2bd36e4ef0f95c.

so maybe just "ufsd" is needed to be added like "Fuseblk" was added?

• Offizieller Beitrag

write speed is dramatically enhanced

Of course it is. That is what you are paying for. Volker (and myself) work with open source software. We aren't interested in supporting paid software. You will have to either write your own plugin, deal with the slower speed, or switch the filesystem on the external hard drives (my suggestion).

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!