Adding additional drive to RAID5

• 2 months and no one bothered to reply... I signed up just for this, it's just unbelievable to me that no one would help (or that no one knows how to do this incredibly basic operation).

If you used the GUI to try to grow your RAID array, that was the "accident" that caused the drive to be added as a spare instead of growing the array. The OMV GUI can't seem to grow RAID arrays properly, throws an error and leaves the added device as a spare.

Go to the command line (either local console or ssh) and run (as root or with sudo):

mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=4 --backup-file=/root/raid5_grow.backup

Assuming /dev/md0 is the raid device. You can then monitor the reshape using:

watch cat /proc/mdstat

Once the reshape is done, you'll need to expand the filesystem to grab the extra space.

• Offizieller Beitrag

2 months and no one bothered to reply... I signed up just for this, it's just unbelievable to me that no one would help (or that no one knows how to do this incredibly basic operation).

I am usually the one to reply to raid questions. I guessed I missed this one. You could've bumped it.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Had the answer since I ran into similar issues, so I provided it. It's just strange, OMV looks like a solid alternative to FreeNAS and other distros, but seeing something basic like this being unanswered for two months... seems unusual (and should definitely not be just one person's responsibility, I'd expect anyone from the community should be able to contribute).

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV looks like a solid alternative to FreeNAS and other distros

It is better in my opinion...

but seeing something basic like this being unanswered for two months...

We are much smaller than freenas and not commercially backed like they are. Just a few of us answer posts. And most don't deal with raid much. So, it can happen. I would say it is not the norm though. Most people say our forum support is much better than others.

seems unusual (and should definitely not be just one person's responsibility, I'd expect anyone from the community should be able to contribute).

I don't know why more people don't contribute. I would definitely welcome the help. I do think we have a high population of people new to Linux though.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!