Suggested Motherboard for NAS build for Plex Media Server, Kodi, & WebDAV

• Hi,

I'm planning to build my first DIY NAS and strongly leaning towards OMV as the operating system. I need advice on a motherboard from those of you with more experience.

Here are my most important design criteria for the NAS:

• Runs Plex Media Server and can transcode at least 4 streams simultaneously
    • Relatively future proof in that it:

• will be able to gracefully stream UHD (at least 4K and possibly 8K)
      • can expand storage from an initial 4 SATA devices (3 HD, 1 SSD) to 8
    • Can also act as a Kodi server which, if I understand correctly, simply requires NFS (presumably able to access the same files as Plex has in its library)
    • Can also be accessed via WebDAV and used to store a large library of pdf documents
    • Plex, Kodi, and WebDAV can all be accessed from other networks off-site.
    • Has a good RAID controller for RAID 5
    • Can take up to 64 GB of RAM (initially it will have 16-32)
    • Good network performance
    • On-board graphics, so there's no need for either a graphics board or CPU with integrated graphics
    • At least one USB 3 port
    • Low power consumption
    • Maybe someday use it for web pages &/or blogs.

My plan includes using a SSD for the OS and 4 TB WD Red drives for "cold" storage.

I've been looking at boards with LGA1151 interface to accept a Xeon E3 processor. Xeon, mainly because it accepts ECC, and I've read that this is important for NAS stability.

Any suggestions for specific motherboards, possible design modifications, other things to look for in a motherboard, stuff I should know about OMV, etc. would be most welcome.

Thanks.

• not to be overly peaky, but isn't there a contradiction with your specks?

you want a low power consumption yet able to transcode at least 4 stream of upto 4K and above and using Xeon CPU?
    Xeon are nice and over all not overly power hungry but I am not sure if they can be classified low power consumption.

also I are you talking about running Plex Server (a GUILess part ) or full PLEX setup?
    Kody as a server (again GUIless part ) or using the server as both server and HTPC?

if we are talking about a headless Server setup, as in I run all in CLI mode using WebUI like OMV, to manage and configure the server, than most any MB with builtin VGA will work. you should just pick using other things you need more.
    like RAM options, number of SATA ports and PCI-e slots etc..

how about one of this

for example this one looks good OR this one

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• I cannot give exact product but

1. I think you consider at least i7 or xeon to transcode
    I'm currently using E3-1265L v3
    but It is hard to handle 4 transcode stream (1080p)
    2. I think streaming without transcode 4K is ok for low-end cpu
    3. I don't know Kodi, NFS is supported by OMV
    4. there is webdav plugin but it has only basic function(no accees control per user )
    5. it's network issue not omv. I suggest you to search dual lan
    6. good? I recommend you to read article about sw raid, hw raid
    7. read spec before buying
    8. I have no idea, but In my opinion quaility of motherboard intergrated one is not bad
    9. I'm curious why don't you use cpu with intergrated graphic
    10. these day I think almost all motherboard support usb 3
    11. use newest cpu :) and I don't recommend low powered cpu (like a 1265L) if your computer is in idle most time
    12. as I know there is no usable directly plugin for web pages, blogs, but using docker-plugin you can easily

13. about ECC and skylake
    only consumer(desktop) skylake product line is released which has no ecc capability (almost all)
    so wait until server/workstation(xeon) skylake product line or buy previous generation xeon board

OMV3 on Proxmox
    Intel E3-1245 v5 | 32GB ECC RAM | 4x3TB RAID10 HDD
    omv-zfs | omv-nginx | omv-letsencrypt | omv-openvpn
    Click link for more details

• Kodi does not have a real media server setup. you can use Kodi as a client with either Plex Server or Emby server or you can simply use Kodi as is but use Network share, Samba or NFS, pointing to where you keep your media files.

• vl1969,

Thanks. Here are a few replies.

you want a low power consumption yet able to transcode at least 4 stream of upto 4K and above and using Xeon CPU?

Xeon are nice and over all not overly power hungry but I am not sure if they can be classified low power consumption.

Of course. There's always a tradeoff. A more precise statement of what I want is, "Given the constraint of transcoding up to 4 streams, what motherboard(s) and CPU will minimize power consumption?"

also I are you talking about running Plex Server (a GUILess part ) or full PLEX setup?

Not sure what you mean by this. As I understand Plex, it has a client-server architecture, with Plex Media Server (PMS) acting as the server and any of a number of Plex apps (e.g., Plex Home Theater) acting as the client. So the NAS would perform two Plex functions: (1) host PMS and (2) store the media files Plex uses (i.e. host the Plex library).

Kody as a server (again GUIless part ) or using the server as both server and HTPC?

I think in your second post you answered your own question. As I understand it, Kodi clients do not use a Kodi server. Instead, the client fetches files over the network and takes care of the details on the client device. So all the NAS drive has to do is to provide media files efficiently via NFS.

Not sure what you mean by "headless," but I'm OK with CLI. However, would very much prefer something that does not require constantly looking up command syntax in a .man file, and I've come to understand that OMV provides a GUI for precisely this. Besides, since I plan to use the server as a hybrid (i.e., file server and PMS), it needs enough horsepower for the PMS to transcode.

As for your recommendations, thank so much! :)

I'm leaning more towards something with a C236, as among other things this provides 2 more SATA3 connections than the C232 does. So the last board you pointed out, is definitely a choice to consider. However, its reviews are not so great. The one by Anonymous on 8/15 about PMW channels is particularly relevant, since low power consumption is one of my criteria, and the device will likely have several fans (1 cpu, 2 exhaust, 2-3 intake, 0-3 intermediate fans by the motherboard) if I use the case I'm considering, a Rosewill RSV-L4000-4U.

I'm also interested in the ASUS P10S WS Micro ATX Motherboard. It has more bells and whistles than I need, but it gets good reviews and is price-competitive. Your thoughts or anyone else's about this board would most appreciated.

(Note about the Rosewill case: Because the server will go in my living room media cabinet, silence is extremely important. So I plan to replace the Rosewills that ship with the case with PMW fans, which will also reduce power consumption. I'll then try to sell the Rosewills. This case comes with seven fans, but a less expensive version of the case, which comes with four. Since the price difference is only $10, and the more expensive case is also bigger (which is OK for me), I'm leaning towards it. Hopefully I can sell the fans for about $3-$4 each, so the bigger case is actually more cost-effective.)

• Thanks, luxflow. I'll address various points below.

• Yes, I'm already considering Xeon. You're using a low-wattage CPU (TDP = 45 W), and from what I understand the lower wattage implies somewhat less processing power. I looked into using one too, but decided against it. From what I've read, a server like this will only be CPU intensive when it's transcoding. Otherwise, a 80-watt CPU will use about the same power as a 45-watt. So while my specs call for 4 simultaneous transcode streams, 1-2 transcodes are far more likely. Therefore, I'm looking at low-end 80 W Xeon processors, like the E-1220 v5.
    • Agreed, but see #1.
    • See my reply to vl1969 above.
    • Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into this more.
    • I wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up.
    • I've read that hw raid is generally better than sw, but on-board controllers are not always very good. OTOH, good add-on RAID boards cost a few $100. So one thing I'm looking for in a motherboard is a decent hw RAID implementation.
    • Will do.
    • I share your impression but thought someone might have more to say about integrated network controllers.
    • Because this is a server, the only time it will need its own video is during initial setup and any subsequent troubleshooting/servicing. Other times it will communicate over the network, where the video will be handled by a different computer. So since graphics is not a big concern, I thought a CPU without integrated graphics would (a) be less expensive, (b) not have to perform extra work when its transcoding, and (c) would run cooler and use less power. Much of this assumes that even when the NAS is not handling video, its graphics part still adds some overhead. Motherboards, on the other hand, seem to come with integrated graphics for very little additional cost, if any. The ASUS board I mentioned to vl1969, for example, doesn't come in a version without integrated graphics. If my assumptions here are wrong, please let me know.
    • OK
    • Ah! See my reply in #1 above. We're on the same wavelength here.
    • Your answer breaks off. "You can easily ..." what?
    • Intel's spec sheet says the E-1220 v5 supports ECC. Is there more here than meets the eye?

Thanks again for your help.

• ok,
    what I mean by headless is simply this.
    some people when they list the specs like you did, have it in their mind a setup where they run a full desktop GUI
    alongside all other things they want to use the machine for, basically a full fledged desktop in parallel with the server part.
    it is not recommended but possible. i.e. have a fully functional HTPC on the foreground and fully functional media server on the background.

headless means you only run a server type setup. no GUI/desktop etc...
    bare CLI setup that does not even need a monitor/keyboard after a is installed and done.
    you administer it via SSH, IPMI or WebUI (this is where OMV comes in)

you are right about PLEX being client/server architecture but it is totally possible to run both Server and a client on the same machine. hence a common setup of HTPC on single set of hardware. just like you can setup Kodi to run on the same hardware where you have your media stored. the underlying metal being used as both server (storing and serving the media) and client (running Kodi UI)

now about Kodi, Kodi is not simply Client UI with option to fetch files from network share(s).
    it is fully capable to also accept streams from common DLNA streaming servers and PLEX server as well as others.
    kodi also can act as a UPnP A/V media server to other Kodi instances.

as for my suggestion of MB I just did a quick search base don some of your specs.
    I picked those boards because they use the Type of CPU you want.
    and ECC ram, they have a decent specs and options. they are SuperMicro boards with on-board IPMI (very important for a headless out of the way setup, IMHO) I currently run an old modded supermicro server and I don't know what I will do when it goes by-by. I am so used to IPMI convenience.

• Hey folks, one other question I just came up with.

Based on vl1969's recent comment about IPMI, I looked up the Super Micro X11SSH-LN4F. Then I clicked the link for OS compatibility. Debian is not even listed as a possibility on either of the two lists for X11 boards with C236.

I have no experience with the variants of Linux, but my understanding is that kind of compatibility has to do with drivers, etc. typically installed in the firmware.

So what's the deal with OMV and the various motherboards? Do we have to make sure Debian is listed as a supported OS? Or, do the drivers for one or more other Linux flavors also work with Debian? Or what?

Is there a list somewhere of OMV-compatible motherboards?

• headless means you only run a server type setup. no GUI/desktop etc...

That is not the generally accepted definition of "headless."

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So what's the deal with OMV and the various motherboards? Do we have to make sure Debian is listed as a supported OS? Or, do the drivers for one or more other Linux flavors also work with Debian? Or what?

Is there a list somewhere of OMV-compatible motherboards?

If a board works with Debian 7, Ubuntu 12 or 14, Redhat EL 6, it will work with OMV 2.x (may need backports kernel though).
    If a board works with Debian 7/8, Ubuntu 12/14/16, Redhat EL 6/7, it will work with OMV 3.x (may need backports kernel though).

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That is not the generally accepted definition of "headless."

well if you are quoting me why not use the whole quote not just part

I believe I said

headless means you only run a server type setup. no GUI/desktop etc...
    bare CLI setup that does not even need a monitor/keyboard after a is installed and done.
    you administer it via SSH, IPMI or WebUI (this is where OMV comes in)

which describes the setup nicely, I think. but to each is their own :)

• never had even looked on MB compatibility with OS. mine MB is only listing RHEL as compartible and still works nicely with everything I ever through at it. only issue I ever had was the network driver as it comes with realtec nics that is not supported by Debian and CentOS install. but can be loaded after install.
    so I stick an Intel nic in it and load up drivers later. actually can't be sure but I did not have an issue with my last OMV setup. only CentOS 7 gave me problems.

• 9. I agree intel cpu with intergrated gpu draw more power , thus more heat in idle than intel cpu without gpu
    but I think it is little, and in case of external gpu, it also draw power in idle
    (b),(c) intel gpu has own clock and power management
    so I don't think it is working while transcoding which uses only cpu not gpu

(To be more precise, there is another way to transcoding using intel gpu, `quick sync` (hw acceleration encoding) but it is hard to make working in linux
    so forget about it)

I searched to give more exact figure about this problem, but I can't find..

12. you can easily(?) set up blogs, and other using docker or virtual machine
    13. you're right E3-1220 V5 support ECC, E3 v5 is arrived, E5 v5 is not arrived yet.
    I give wrong information

OMV3 on Proxmox
    Intel E3-1245 v5 | 32GB ECC RAM | 4x3TB RAID10 HDD
    omv-zfs | omv-nginx | omv-letsencrypt | omv-openvpn
    Click link for more details

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von luxflow ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!