Backup for server and clients

• Hi,

I'm reviewing OMV to replace my Windows Home Server. What I miss is a backup function. How to backup any server files (system and data) and client files? Is there a plugin or something?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are lots of plugins that can do this for files on the server - rsync, rsnapshot, usbbackup, etc.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried all of these and none is a real backup app. They are very very basic.

Not a real backup app? I disagree. I have been using them for years. What features are you looking for? OMV is targeted at home or soho users. Most of those users don't need Bacula and it is a pain in the ass to use. And OMV is Debian. You don't have to have a plugin to install a "professional" backup package from the Debian repos.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I tried all of these and none is a real backup app. They are very very basic. I've read from someone who wanted to create a Bacula plugin for OMV but actually there is none. Bacula is a professional open source backup tool.

Maybe you can try Urbackup. It has a nice web interface and its completely free. It also backup windows clients. Packages for Debian are available. I've request a plugin for Urbackup, but don't get any reply on it. Very sad, because in a home netwerk, it would be really nice to have a backup server for windows clients.
    If you install the PXE plugin, you can restore you clients with you network card. Simply boot with restore image and select the client to restore.
    It would be really nice if someone can make a plugin for Urbackup.

• Not a real backup app? I disagree. I have been using them for years. What features are you looking for? OMV is targeted at home or soho users. Most of those users don't need Bacula and it is a pain in the ass to use. And OMV is Debian. You don't have to have a plugin to install a "professional" backup package from the Debian repos.

The Windows Home Server is also targeting home users and has a very good and still simple backup solution. I think if someone needs a NAS than it is completly clear to me that there has to be a good backup tool.

Maybe you can try Urbackup. It has a nice web interface and its completely free. It also backup windows clients. Packages for Debian are available. I've request a plugin for Urbackup, but don't get any reply on it. Very sad, because in a home netwerk, it would be really nice to have a backup server for windows clients.If you install the PXE plugin, you can restore you clients with you network card. Simply boot with restore image and select the client to restore.
    It would be really nice if someone can make a plugin for Urbackup.

Oh, looks interesting. I'll test it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Windows Home Server is also targeting home users and has a very good and still simple backup solution. I think if someone needs a NAS than it is completly clear to me that there has to be a good backup tool.

You still don't say what the backup solution is missing? I backup Windows boxes to it all the time. I backup my NAS files all the time. What is it missing?

• You still don't say what the backup solution is missing? I backup Windows boxes to it all the time. I backup my NAS files all the time. What is it missing?

Probably a guide for home users is missing. Features are available.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• You still don't say what the backup solution is missing? I backup Windows boxes to it all the time. I backup my NAS files all the time. What is it missing?

In my opinion a good backup tool needs this:

• backup any files and folders you want
    • save the backups whereever you want
    • full or incremental
    • automatically or manually
    • restore any file and folder you want from any time in the backup history
    • automatically delete old backups
    • a report
    • a good usability

Maybe only the usability is not good but I wasn't able to find all these things in the "backup tools". If I'm wrong please tell me.

In rsync for example I could only choose source and destination volume - no variable files/folders. I did not check the other functions because only this is a no-go.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In my opinion a good backup tool needs this:

• backup any files and folders you want
    • save the backups whereever you want
    • full or incremental
    • automatically or manually
    • restore any file and folder you want from any time in the backup history
    • automatically delete old backups
    • a report
    • a good usability

Maybe only the usability is not good but I wasn't able to find all these things in the "backup tools". If I'm wrong please tell me.

In rsync for example I could only choose source and destination volume - no variable files/folders. I did not check the other functions because only this is a no-go.

Maybe not files but shared folders. You can create as many shared folders as you want including sub folders if you want a different backup done to the sub folders. Otherwise, rsnapshot basically does all of that except for the restore.

I haven't seen this functionality in the commercial NASes I have owned either. In the enterprise environment, this functionality is not on the NAS/SAN either. There a lots of Windows programs (free and paid) that do this and use the NAS for storage which is what it is intended for.

Backup on the NAS is supposed to protect against equipment failure and that is what rsync/rsnapshot/etc do very well. If you want to restore a single file, create a samba share and drag it where you need. If you need to restore multiple folders, create shared folders and rsync it.

• I'm using USB backup for my data, and Clonezilla back up my system, and they working great.
    Clonezilla doesn't have incremental file backup like UrBackup or Macrium Reflect, but it's free and good.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!