Anonymous printing to a CUPS printer

• Aloha!

I have installed the CUPS plugin and I've configured my Brother printer (attached to the OMV via USB) correctly (so far) and I've configured the printer driver on my daughter's Windows computer.

That's where my problem/question begins: She *can* print from that computer ONLY, when she's authenticated on the OMV.
    So in order for her to actually use the printer, she has to connect to a share and enter her username and password one time in each session.
    After that, she can use the CUPS printer without any problems.

The point is, she rarely uses the OMV's shares and she tries to stay disconnected from the OMV shares when she don't need them.
    One reason is the danger of catching a CryptoLocker that would try to encrypt the network shares.... so please don't tackle that part of the problem - I know this can be "solved" by auto mounting and password save.... that's not the point here.

Instead, I'd like to configure CUPS in a way that any user on the network can connect to the printer and use it without entering credentials.
    Our network is "secure" and I don't care if someone accidentally wastes a few pages.

Can you please point me to a solution? I reckon someone else may have (had) the same problem...
    Sadly, searching the forum has lead me nowhere...

All the links for non-OMV CUPS installations involve changing the config file... but that's under OMVs control - so it's probably futile to change it..?

Thanks a bunch!

Oliver.

• check your cupsd.conf

Code
    <Location />
      # Restrict access to the server...
      Allow from 192.168.1.0/24
      Require valid-user
      Satisfy any
      Order allow,deny
    </Location>

Specially 4. should not be set...

HTH

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Aloha!

the section in question is still the OMV default:

Code
    <Location />
      # Allow shared printing and remote administration...
      Order allow,deny
      Allow all
    </Location>

... so no "Require" statement at all.

However, changing that file would be futile as the header says:

Code
    # This configuration file is auto-generated.
    # WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will be lost.

I'd like to achieve the anonymous printing by changing the config from the OMV side, so I don't have to worry about overwrites through future updates..

• I guess, my cupsd config may be a bit ... special..?
    However, I installed the CUPS system through the OMV admin gui.

I keep getting the following errors:

while this is annoying, I don't think it's symptomatic for the inability for users to not being able to print anonymously.

BTW: here's my cupsd config file:

Any substantial help will be appreciated.

• ....aaaand me again!
    :)

I just realized, my windows PC's are accessing the printer through SAMBA.
    But even there I have configured:

And with (5) and (13) anonymous printing should be allowed....

I just don't get where the error is..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!