OMV setup next to Proxmox, not as a VM?

• Hello All. I have posted a few times in here before, and I am wanting to find out if what I am wanting to to is feasible.

I have a Dell Poweredge 2900 server that I picked up cheaply. (2) quad core 2 Ghz processor, 24GB of RAM, (8) 750G hard drives.

I initially set this up with OMV, but I am wanting to also be able to run virtual machines on it. So, I pulled out all the drives, added a new one as the boot drive, and installed Proxmox on it. I then installed OMV as a virtual machine, with the hard drives being passed through to OMV for data storage. If I set them up as SCSIx in the config file, then I was getting lots of end_request I/O errors in the OMV log on bootup,and occasionally at other times. So, I edited the config file, and changed the drives to virtio devices. This worked fine, no errors, but the SMART data was not passed through to OMV.

Apparently Proxmox has a limit of 5 SATA devices in a VM, so adding them as SATAx devices was not really an option, because I have 8 data drives, and will probably be adding up to 5 more via a SuperMicro hot swap chassis and an add-in SATA card at some point. I do not do RAID on any of the drives, I just have backups to external drives, and a lot of the data does not change that often anyway, so I have decided against RAID for my setup. Being able to setup another machine with OMV or even just plain Debian and accessing my data is the important thing for me.

Now, to my point. Since I am having errors when trying to pass through the physical drives as SCSI, and not getting SMART data when I set them up as VirtIO, I am wanting to find out if anyone has tried and either succeeded or failed to setup Proxmox and OMV next to each other. My plan is to install Proxmox from the install CD as normal, and then to follow the instructions in the sticky thread on installing OMV using APT. The GUI for Proxmox runs on port 8006, and Proxmox runs on standard port 80 or 443 if using SSL, so I am thinking that won't be an issue.

Is there an issue of running OMV on Debian Jessie when normally it is on Wheezy? I don't want to use Proxmox 3.x yet, as beta software on my NAS is not my idea of stability, and the production versions of OMV have served me well in the past, with no data loss due to it directly, just my own stupidity.

Thanks for your time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

if anyone has tried and either succeeded or failed to setup Proxmox and OMV next to each other

It will not work. OMV 3.x requires the watchdog package and Proxmox removes it which removes OMV. If you install Proxmox first, OMV will remove proxmox. So, they can't be installed at the same time.

Is there an issue of running OMV on Debian Jessie when normally it is on Wheezy?

OMV 2.x will not work on Jessie. OMV 3.x requires Jessie. This doesn't fix problem above.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for the reply. I had my hopes up. A combined distribution would be a powerful thing, I think, for those of us with a machine with lots of horsepower. Would be nice if it could be made to work. Any idea how to get SMART working through the VIRTIO setup as I had mentioned above? That is my only real sticking point. Proxmox cannot see the drives once they've been passed through, but they are passed through in such a way that I cannot get the SMART data. Or another way that would not have the errors show up in Proxmox?

• why not use SCSI for pass-through? get you 13 devices

SORRY I have re-read your post more carefully and saw that you did try iSCSI.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von vl1969 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

A combined distribution would be a powerful thing, I think, for those of us with a machine with lots of horsepower. Would be nice if it could be made to work.

I just tried it. It does work if you strip the watchdog stuff out of OMV. I doubt Volker wants to take the watchdog stuff out of OMV though.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Any possibility that you could share with me how you did it? And I'm assuming you did it with 3.x, since that is what will run under Jessie?
    If it's just some apt-get stuff, I can do that, if it's compiling a special kernel, not so much. But even then I'd have to assume that I would have to redo those changes whenever there is an update to OMV.

• I wouldn't do that if I were you. too complicated IMHO.

how do you use the OMV anyway? what are your needs?

maybe the better setup would be to run OMV as host, version 3.x is actually pretty good and seams to be stable,
    and just use virtual box plugin for virtualization?
    this way your HOST will also be a file server (SAMBA / NFS I tihnk it even supports iSCSI target) and everything else will run in VM

• Offizieller Beitrag

It isn't hard for me but as soon as an OMV update came out, it would either uninstall OMV or proxmox. I'm not sure if not having watchdog can cause any other problems with OMV either.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any news on this?

What news are you waiting for? It doesn't work due to conflicting requirements.

• Any news on this? Proxmox and OMV on the same host (side by side) would be a big win for me.

it will never happen.
    both products are designed for total system control, even though for different end use scenario.

OMV is a custom build NAS product with some additional functionality.
    not matter how you look at it , the main target is NAS function.

Proxmox is a virtualization hypervisor. but both of them want and to some degree need a total system control. with both products you can side-load extra apps if you careful, it is a risk to totally screw up the whole system if you do something unexpected.

in your case you have to make a choice what is important for you.

OMV has a virtualbox plugin, so you still can virtualize what you need.
    if VB is not good for you than Proxmox is the answer and you need to figure out how to deal with your data drives.

you can also check out iESX but it has it's limits in free version as well.

PS>> also as I am rereading you posts I see couple of things that just jumps out.
    #1. Proxmox version VE4.3 os out of beta now. many things have been fixed and changed.
    why not try lading it now and see if passing through drives still gives you an error
    also maybe you can try mixed settings like 6-SATA + 14 iSCSI see if any of them gives you issues.

#2. OMV v3.0 is very stable now even though it still marked as testing/beta it essentially RC ready.
    also works very well. and OMV do have VirtualBox plugin so you can virtualize on it.
    and not pass-through the drives anywhere.

#3. SMART is installed on Proxmox by default now. you can setup and use it on Host side.
    and you can,although manually via CLI, mount all you drives on proxmox and NFS share them to OMV VM (there is a remote share plugin ) so you can manage the contents from OMV while drives are on host. it is an extra work and lots of CLI but doable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I found the Proxmox installation guide for existing Debian Jessie, but not w/OMV.

OMV and Proxmox on the same machine won't work. Proxmox will uninstall the watchdog package and OMV depends on it. So, you cannot have both installed without modifying OMV to remove the watchdog dependency and code.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!