Technically possible? (System on 2 mirrored 32Gb-SSDs via USB3)

• Hello,

currently I'm running my NAS on freeNAS, but I'm not really comfortable with freeBSD, so I'm thinking about a change to OMV. The problem is that my Asrock E3C224D2I Mainboard "only" has 6 SATA Ports, all used by (mirrored) Data-Disks. My current system runs via two mirrored usb-sticks - which is totaly fine with freeNAS. But then I read the instructions that you shouldn't use (non slc) sticks for OMV. So here is the question:

Is it technically possible to connect two 32Gb SSD disks via USB3 and install OMV on one of them, and mirror the system also to the second disk? (current setup with sticks on freeNAS) Because I don't want to loose those sata ports from my data disks to a system disk, but I also want to have a runnable system if one disk fails.

Otherwise, maybe you can provide a managable way for me to keep the system disk bakuped(correct wording?) and restorable in case of failures...

Thanks in advance!

• Offizieller Beitrag

But then I read the instructions that you shouldn't use (non slc) sticks for OMV

It is fine with the flashmemory plugin.

Is it technically possible to connect two 32Gb SSD disks via USB3 and install OMV on one of them, and mirror the system also to the second disk?

Yep. This is how I would do it:

First, install Debian Jessie from netinst ISO (minimal install) which will allow you to setup a mirror of the boot drives.

Bash
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

Then install omv-extras so you can install flashmemory

Bash
    wget http://omv-extras.org/omvextras3.deb
    dpkg -i omvextras3.deb
    apt-get -f install
    omv-aptclean
    apt-get install openmediavault-flashmemory

Login to the web interface and enable the flashmemory plugin and configure other items.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have the same mb. That has an internal USB port for os.

Woah! Never realized, you're right! Thanks for that one!

Do you really need mirror for boot os?

Well, in this configuration if one stick fails the second one (hopefully) keeps working without any manual doing. You just need to replace the broken stick.

What would be a better method?

• What happens when you mirror the OS drive and something goes bad, say filesystem corruption, file loss, drive fills up. Doesn't all that bad stuff get mirrored too?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!