Kodi on OMV 3 won't start (board: ASRock N3150-ITX)

• Hi!

First of all: I am aware of this topic and this one, but since there is a backport for Debian 8 which I try to use, I start this new topic. Probably the info here could also be interesting for Pheoxy's plans.

I'd like to test Kodi on my NAS. Ideally, I will be using an udev rule to start and stop Kodi when the HDMI channel is opened / closed by my TV. But that's still up in the air. ;)

I set up a virtual machine (VirtualBox), installed OMV 3 and upgraded it to the newest version. Besides the VirtualBox guest extensions I installed an x server apt-get install xorg (which should also install the video drivers, right?) and alsa apt-get install alsa-base. After that I followed the instructions to install kodi from the backports repo. Starting kodi (xinit kodi-standalone) and playing a test .mkv-file went well, so I decided to give it a try on my real machine.

I took the same steps as above on my OMV 3.0.47 machine but for some reason kodi keeps crashing on startup. The x server itself launches (startx) and shows a terminal. Since I wasn't able to figure out what goes wrong with kodi I installed xfce4 and tried to launch it. However, also xfce4 crashes on startup and therefore the x server terminates.

Taking a closer look in the kodi log-file doesn't show any serious errors. The file just ends (unexpectedly) after the "GL_EXTENSIONS" line. Interestingly, the logfiles states this line GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.. Since I am not using an virtual machine I am quite confused about VMware as vendor. I expected to see Intel Corp. (or something like that) there.

This and the fact that also xfce crashes let's me to believe that this is not a Kodi problem. I rather think that something is wrong with the video drivers or some other incompatibility between Debian 8 and my motherboard. I should also mention that I have the 4.7 backports kernel installed. Has anyone with the ASRock N3150-ITX board tried to setup a desktop environment, Kodi, or any other graphical output in OMV 3? Or does anyone have ideas how to further investigate this issue?

Best,
    Aiakos

• As is seems this is indeed not a problem with Kodi, but with the video driver. Apperantly other people also experience issues like this: http://unix.stackexchange.com/…graphics-on-debian-jessie.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be an easy solution yet. A possible approach could be like this:

I was managed to solve the issue on Debian by installing mesa from jessie-backports. To be specific, I upgraded the following packages to the backports version and solved the issue: libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-drivers libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libwayland-egl1-mesa

I will probably try this when I have some spare time...

EDIT: This thread proposes a similar solution.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!