Slow Network download speed - upload fine

• Hi

I have a strange issue that I just noticed yesterday.

When I upload files to OMV I get decent speeds around 70-110 MB/s but when I download files from OMV to my PCs the speed is stuck at roughly 30 MB/s.

Config:
    OMV 2.2.x
    1 GBE Intel dual Nic
    16 GB Ecc RAM
    ZFS Raid z2

What I have tried:

Downloaded from ZFS shares and ext4 shares (latter is on a SSD) - so not a disk/ZFS issue

Changed Nic and switched switch ports

Changed cables

Tried different Kernels (3.2, 3.16 and 4.4)

Tried SMB shares and FTP download

Tested different PCs

...all to no avail - stuck at 30 MB/s

Is there any setting in OMV or debian that could limit the send speed of OMV ?

Last time I transferred large files from OMV to my PCs I did not have this issue, though I usually push to OMV and hence I can't remember when every was ok before...

Any thoughts here?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any setting in OMV or debian that could limit the send speed of OMV ?

No.

Have you checked the read speed of the zfs array directly on the system? I would test that by timing the copy of a large file to another fast drive in the system. I would test the raw networking with iperf as well.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I also downloaded from the SSD which is a ext4 volume.
    And as I said upload us 110mb/s

So altogether I think array speed and network speed in general can't be the issue as it is an isolated uploaded/sending problem from the NAS

• Offizieller Beitrag

So altogether I think array speed and network speed in general can't be the issue as it is an isolated uploaded/sending problem from the NAS

Actually I would say the networking is fine but the array read speed is suspect. Just because the write speed is fast does not mean the read speed will be. You haven't shown me any evidence the read speed is fast.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Yeah fine I will test it when I get home :)

But why should the read speed of the SSD - which is not in any array - and is not ZFS (it's ext4) be bad as well then - that's why I think it is unrelated to disk speeds

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read your post wrong. I thought you were saying download from the ssd was fine. So, that means it could be the networking. Once again, good upload doesn't mean good download. I would check with iperf.

• I read your post wrong. I thought you were saying download from the ssd was fine. So, that means it could be the networking. Once again, good upload doesn't mean good download. I would check with iperf.

NP :)

Nevertheless I did some testing:

Copy speed from ZFS Array to SSD: roughly 230-280MB/s - could be better, but I think this is ok

iperf:

OMV server as client:

Code
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   335 MBytes   281 Mbits/sec

Windows PC as client:

Code
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  4]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.08 GBytes   926 Mbits/sec

Switch port info:

So there is definitively something wrong with OMV NICs sending data - and I have no clue were to look... :(

Edit:

Some more info:

ethtool:

and:

Code
    mii-tool
    eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-FD flow-control, link ok

So takeaway here: NIC is set to auto negotiate and is running 1GB Full duplex - thought it might be a duplex issue here, but doesn't seem to be

Ok some more stuff I tested:

• disabled TLP ( so no power management)
    • set Set PCIe Links to x3 (I need the slow x1 speed because my DVB card wont be detected in BIOS otherwise)
    • checked my switch - all ports are set to autonegotiate, so the same as the NIC
    • rest OMV network via firstaid

And the issue still persists and I am totally out of ideas.....

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is rare with Intel NICs. Normally, I would say upgrade the kernel but you already did that. Maybe a switch issue? Not sure what the issue is.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Boot systemrescuecd on the system and try iperf again. I know this isn't an OMV issue but that will eliminate a few things.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK will do that, but might take till friday

Trust me... I'm not in a rush :D

• Ok,

I just updated the firmware of the switch and connected my notebook directly to the NAS - same issue.

But what I noticed was that if I disconnect the cable and reconnect it the speed is set to 10mbs FD !? - only after I hard-reboot of the NAS it gets back to 1Gbs.
    This happened with the switch and my notebook.

I will still boot with the System rescue disc tomorrow or on friday an re-check iperf but somehow it seems to me like a broken onboard NIC - right?

EDIT:

According to this page:
    http://noahdavids.org/self_published/duplex_mismatch.html

It doesn't seem to be a duplex mismatch as all my counters are "0"

• Offizieller Beitrag

This definitely sounds like a NIC and/or switch issue.

• OK I solved the mystery for the main part:

It was my Antivirus scanner on the Windows machine limiting inbound speed to max 40Mbs. After de-installation it is back to eral GbE speed - honestly WTF !
    I still suffer from slower than expected speed between Linux and Linux systems (50Mb/s) but that is likely a firmware issue on the Linux machine with its Realtek card..

Thx for helping me out here

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!