virtualbox plugin not showing in OMV UI.

• Hi All

I wanted to install virtualbox on my OMV (0.4.24) server. I've got the omv-plugins plugin installed and have used other plugins from the site without problem (then minidlna, mysql and opnvpn ones to be specific) and the virtualbox one seemed to install fine, there were no errors in the log window etc.

But it doesn't show up in the OMV UI.

If I go to System Information > Services > Overview it shows "VirtualBox Web Service" with "Off" in the enabled column but a green dot in the running column. There are also three processes listed as running under the vbox user.

Code
    vbox      2538  0.0  0.0 116040  5472 ?        Sl   19:58   0:00 /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxwebsrv --background -H 127.0.0.1
    vbox      2540  0.0  0.0  84584  5284 ?        S    19:58   0:00 /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxXPCOMIPCD
    vbox      2545  0.0  0.0 170200  7424 ?        Sl   19:58   0:00 /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC --auto-shutdown

I've tried re installing the plugin, rebooting the server and I've searched the forums but have been unable to find anything that helps.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Those are the same three services I have running. What does /etc/init.d/vboxweb-service status give you?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have the same problem here. Install via OMV-Plugins.org-Repository directly inside OMV worked properly. No errors.
    But i have no "virtualbox" link under services. Under Systeminformations --> Services --> overview it shows the "VirtualBox Web Service" not activated but running:

Need help! :oops:

The processes are running, too:

Code
    5036 vbox      20   0  178m 5548 3540 S    0  0.1   0:00.04 vboxwebsrv
     5038 vbox      20   0 86076 5328 3436 S    0  0.1   0:00.01 VBoxXPCOMIPCD
     5044 vbox      20   0  167m 7492 5544 S    0  0.2   0:00.10 VBoxSVC

Thanks in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm able to reproduce this. It is definitely something with the plugin (not updated for omv 0.4.24??) If you install the plugin on an older version of omv and update 0.4.24, it works fine. Although I had to create the /etc/default/virtualbox file when I installed on 0.4.19.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• This is weird. Tell me what version of VirtualBox and PHP VirtualBox you have. They have to match. I suspect the installed version of Virtualbox does not match the PHP VirtualBox in the plugin. You will probably need to purge all and then try plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

phpVirtualbox hasn't been updated for virtualbox 4.2.6 and neither has the plugin. So, I'm running virtualbox 4.2.4 and the latest phpvirtualbox. I tried this on a clean VM and had the problem.

• Glad its not just me. My versions are:

VirtualBox - 4.2.4 (Installed by the plugin)
    PhpVirtualBox - 4.2-5 (this is the one installed by the plugin)
    PhpVirtualBox - 4.2-4 (this is the one I installed separately)

Interestingly I don't see a 4.2-5 release download on the website.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was able to install virtualbox with no problems this morning on a hardware box. I only had the problem when installing in virtual machines. I can't figure out what is missing from your system to make it run.

• Obviously I´m not the only one. ;)

I tried to reinstall the package again.

i got this error:

The error message is like: "an error happened"
    After that i was no more able to get to the "manage updates" point. I had to reboot the whole machine and type via commandline

Code
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

After that command it installs(?) the virtualboxplugin completely:

Now I´m again able to get into manage updates. - But still NO virtualbox symbol under services...

Any command line strings which delete and deinstall the virtualbox things completely, update omv and install the virtualbox plugin again? :|

• Another day, another try.
    I deinstalled the plugin, manually deinstalled (purge) the virtualbox 4.2 from my omv and tried only to install the plugin:

After this last sentence i again got the "communication failure"...

The processes are running. But still no symbol inside OMV. Please help! :(

Thanks in advance!

• I tried several times... Deinstall virtualbox 4.2, deinstall plugin, reboot, install plugin etc... Now not even the processes are starting from virtualbox. Under services the dot is red - not running.

But the install was ok - no disconnect or communication failure:

Any suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "WastlJ"

Any suggestions?

Every one of my clean installs has worked perfect. I'm sure it is just permissions somewhere but I don't know where. Unfortunately, I think the only option is to reinstall OMV, update, and install Virtualbox before anything else including configuring samba, nfs, etc.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!