how to mount NTFS external storage devices viewed by the system as VFAT storage devices?...

• Hi people,

I installed today - after testing the OS in a VM - OMV 2.2.13 on a spare computer I have. Specs are listed below as an attachment in both French and English, for those who would be curious.

So, I plugged to the USB ports a USB key and an external HDD, both formated in NTFS. I read that OMV has a native support for r/w NTFS storage devices.
    But as you can see, I can't mount it, and attached to this thread also is the error window I get when trying to mount said devices. I don't know how to solve my problem, and I couldn't find either here or on google a solution.

So, simple questions, for I guess an answer not that simple: what is causing my error AND how to solve it?

Thanks a lot,

Triska.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, I plugged to the USB ports a USB key and an external HDD, both formated in NTFS. I read that OMV has a native support for r/w NTFS storage devices.

Your drives are vfat not ntfs. OMV doesn't support vfat because of many limitations. So, the fact that it supports NTFS doesn't help here.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The only solution, if you want to use the devices with OMV, is to back up the data to some other device, then reformat the drives to an OMV supported format.

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• Indeed you are correct. I usually use NTFS, but these 2 devices are in FAT32, and I don't know why.
    Next time I'll check them. Conclusion: always checking everything before creating a thread.

Thanks anyway guys.

• I believe your devices are something other than FAT32. I backup FAT32 devices regularly with OMV.

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• Offizieller Beitrag

vfat = fat32

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I don't know all of the details in differences between FAT filesystems, but my SD cards are reported by Windows as FAT32 and are mounted by OMV without issue.

Bilder

• Vfat is a FAT filing system with virtualisation things added to it. I have no idea if my USB key and my HDD are in true vfat or just FAT32, all I know is that, for win7, they're FAT32.

Anyway, they're not my main devices, and the others are in NTFS. Now all I have to do is to add these HDDs to my NAS - manipulation I tried yesterday and failed as I made mistakes, but that's how one learns: trials and error. ^^

So thanks anyway people. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Vfat is a FAT filing system with virtualisation things added to it. I have no idea if my USB key and my HDD are in true vfat or just FAT32, all I know is that, for win7, they're FAT32.

Actually, vfat is mostly adding long filename support to fat. Linux uses vfat to mount all vfat or fat filesystems.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!