Help with a new build

• Hi there i'd like to get some advice on building an nas.

The only real function of my NAS will be media sharing i.e. Videos, photos, music and general file back ups

I had originally planned to buy a Synology DS916+, but I think I could build a better NAS with much the same power consumption.

Just looking some advice/ opinions on the best hardware to do this.

Would like at least 4 drives with room to expand in the future.

Looking forward to you comments and advice

Many thanks
    BTD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Buy a SSD for your OS such as Samsung Evo 850 120GB.
    If you plan to use 4 drives, use RAID10 for best performance/redundancy.
    Use an Intel CPU i5 or i7.
    For streaming media, use Plex or Emby.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you aren't transcoding, and i5 or i7 is overkill. I do lots of streaming and backup with a Celeron j1900 in a QNAP TS-451 running OMV 3.x.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm kinda used to using Kodi for streaming.
    Never really used Plex.
    So transcoding isn't really a requirement at the minute.

Thanks for the replies & advice.

Keep it coming.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Kodi is the client. Plex (in OMV context) or Emby are the server component.

In my opinion, if you use Kodi (I do too), then you don't need plex or emby. I just share the files via samba since kodi can connect to samba shares.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Kodi is the client. Plex (in OMV context) or Emby are the server component.

In my opinion, if you use Kodi (I do too), then you don't need plex or emby. I just share the files via samba since kodi can connect to samba shares.

That's what I'd like to do.
    Just looking to see what's the best option for a mini server with light power consumption.

• OMV runs smoothly on my Thin Client...so the answer is Yes :D
    Some guys in the forum here are working with the microserver...

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• When you buy the HP Microserver, I think you can start without more RAM, without a better CPU and maybe even without that odd adapter for a SSD. Worked here at least for Kodi with plenty of capacity buffer (RAM and CPU). The server can boot from internal micro-SD card.

It might need a little bit of fiddling. It is not totally trivial, to set the Microserver up for booting from SSD, when equipped with 4 HD drives. With my setup, OMV 2 couldn't install Grub on the SD-card - at least it wouldn't boot. OMV3 had no problem. This behavior could be reproduced.

When energy consumption is really important, some ARM based systems will be somewhat better. IIRC my HP microserver used 35 W when disks were sleeping.

OMV 4.1.13-1 (typically everything up to date), only plugin: flash memory; HP Microserver, 4 internal ext4 HDDs, SSD for OS, SD-Card for booting (can't boot on SSD with 4 HDD used …), external USB3 HDDs (ext4 + NTFS)

• When you buy the HP Microserver, I think you can start without more RAM, without a better CPU and maybe even without that odd adapter for a SSD. Worked here at least for Kodi with plenty of capacity buffer (RAM and CPU). The server can boot from internal micro-SD card.

It might need a little bit of fiddling. It is not totally trivial, to set the Microserver up for booting from SSD, when equipped with 4 HD drives. With my setup, OMV 2 couldn't install Grub on the SD-card - at least it wouldn't boot. OMV3 had no problem. This behavior could be reproduced.

When energy consumption is really important, some ARM based systems will be somewhat better. IIRC my HP microserver used 35 W when disks were sleeping.

That's perfect. I'd like to run OMV3.
    Just need to buy microserver in the coming weeks and get building.

My house is all wired with cat6 so I'm hoping that streaming shouldn't have any major issues.

I run Kodi on a 2 Pi3's so I hope it all goes smoothly.

Famous last words !!!! Lol

• I am using the microserver with 24 TB (4 * 6 TB plus small SSD). I guess, the limit was documented at a time, when disks larger 4 TB were not common and therefore were not tested by HP. I wouldn't fear, that 8 TB drives don't work. However not tested myself, maybe google will find references. I don't use RAID and I think in a typical home environment (you mentioned videos, photos) backup is much more important. RAID will typically not be a good substitute for backup.

If you find it suitable, you can also use external HDs on the USB ports. They also can be shared with OMV. However, performance might be not optimal, even on the USB 3 ports. (Probably depending on concrete conditions - I myself was not overwhelmed by write performance. Read performance is always excellent here, even on external drives).

OMV 4.1.13-1 (typically everything up to date), only plugin: flash memory; HP Microserver, 4 internal ext4 HDDs, SSD for OS, SD-Card for booting (can't boot on SSD with 4 HDD used …), external USB3 HDDs (ext4 + NTFS)

• I am using the microserver with 24 TB (4 * 6 TB plus small SSD). I guess, the limit was documented at a time, when disks larger 4 TB were not common and therefore were not tested by HP. I wouldn't fear, that 8 TB drives don't work. However not tested myself, maybe google will find references. I don't use RAID and I think in a typical home environment (you mentioned videos, photos) backup is much more important. RAID will typically not be a good substitute for backup.

If you find it suitable, you can also use external HDs on the USB ports. They also can be shared with OMV. However, performance might be not optimal, even on the USB 3 ports. (Probably depending on concrete conditions - I myself was not overwhelmed).

Thanks for the reply Buers.
    Must look into it a bit more.
    :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!