Replacing not dead Raid5 drive w. temp. controller

• Whats the best way to exchange a raid5 disc (5 discs, xfs) in omv? Its still working but needs replacement due to smart status.

I plan to put in another sas controller so i can add the drive to the raid as spare and do a replacement, my current controller has no more free ports.

I assume this will lead to a faster rebuild time and less stress for the remaining drives then to put out the drive, put in the new one and do a rebuild/resync.

Can this be done with the gui?

With mdadm it would be somehow like that:

# mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdf1
    # mdadm /dev/md0 --replace /dev/sda1 --with /dev/sdf1

---

I wonder what happens when i remove the 2nd temporary controller again. The new drive will become sda1 instead of sdf1. How should i handle this?

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

• Regarding the 2nd controller for installation. I can move the omv boot drive to the temporary controller to avoid sync/delay problems and to have all raid drives on the same controller.

Nevertheless after doing the replacement when i remove the 2nd controller the drive designations would change ...

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!