Error: "Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusfs2WVj' (size=0)."

• the problem is that after the issue appears you cannot apply any settings, so also cannot disable plugins. at least in my case

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• Offizieller Beitrag

in my case it seems to be related to flashmemory plugin which is installed by default on ARM systems afaik.

I've never had an issue with the flashmemory plugin causing this. Does removing the plugin fix your problem?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• interestingly for me the issue appears only on my HP N40L microserver. In virtualbox installing the same plugins does not break the web interface

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• I've never had an issue with the flashmemory plugin causing this. Does removing the plugin fix your problem?

It was just an assumption, anyway I've scrapped the A10 board for several reasons and moved to PCDuino3Nano. The problem does not appear there, however it sometimes appears on my main OMV x86 server with the system installed to an SSD drive. not sure what causes the issue, but it appeared only once. I suppose it can be caused by OMV running from a slow storage drive like microSD.

24/7 PCDuino3 Nano OMV 4 (custom built armbian with debian 9), 1drive
    OMV 4, AMD A8-5600k + 16gb, 8 drives, 26TB of storage, zalman r1 with custom hdd bracing

test OMV 5, AMD e350 + 4gb, 1 drive , DIY enclosure from Nokia D-Box 2 case.

• in my case it seems the issue is related to OMV 4. installing and setting up OMV 3.0.89 did not invoke the issue. so it seems like this:

1) HP N40L - OMV 4.0.6 failed to read file error appears after installing & setting up plugins, reproduced 3 times
    2) HP N40L - OMV 3.0.89 - everything OK, cannot reproduce
    3) Virtualbox - OMV 4.0.6 - everything OK, cannot reproduce

Now i cannot gurantee that i performed exactly the same steps in every case. In case of virtualbox i did not set up an additional partition on the system disk and did not change the default webui password.

Powered by Proxmox VE

• I have also the same problem.
    I upgraded my backup server from omv 3 to omv4 and the problem appeared.
    In omv3 there was no problem.

• maybe this is the same?! I get this error when trying to apply settings from email notification service.

cpu Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz
    omv 6.9.13-1 (Shaitan)

kernel 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64

• Same issue for me as well, Brand few fresh install of 4.0.13-1 installed from a USB stick to SATA drive. After install I was able to install updates, load omv extras and install a bunch of plugins without any issues. It started happening after I tried enabling the SMART Plugin. At first I was able to disable that plugin, reboot and then it let me apply. however after trying again it wont let me apply any settings what so ever, even after apt-clean, and multiple reboots.

Error #0:OMV\Exception: Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusj07kHO' (size=0). in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/json/file.inc:199Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/json/file.inc(214): OMV\Json\File->getContents()#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(306): OMV\Json\File->read()#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(536): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->finalizeBgProcStatus('/tmp/bgstatusj0...', '', Object(OMV\Exception))#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(151): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))#4 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(213): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)#5 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)#8 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)#9 {main}

x86 - AMD A8-5545 here (Biostar A68N-5545), boot drive is a Maxtor 300G sata drive, I initially tried installing to a USB Stick and had nothing but issues so I did a complete fresh reinstall on this drive. Things were much better until this occurred.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von iamchocho () aus folgendem Grund: Additional details

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is a known issue. We are trying to find what is causing it. The code hasn't changed in over a year. So, it is likely a php7 issue.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok, good to know. If there is anything I can do to help: logs, debug, dump system configs I am happy to do so. I am building a new OMV box to migrate to on this system so if there is something I should do before scrapping it and trying an older version let me know.

• Hello,

SO i have the same problems i have installed Fresh copy with no plugins and flash plugin just vanilla OMV 4
    As you can see on this video https://www.useloom.com/share/…cacc14ba5ac50a0553e3b13fc

I will get the error randomly no matter what i do in most case i get the error on first try and second try is fine.

But if i run apt clean if seams to clear the error when it happens over and over but it will come back.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gibbc () aus folgendem Grund: added temp fix

• I had this error on after installed the omv-flashmemory plugin on OMV 4 installed from the OMV.iso on a SSD

as mentioned by Aaron in comment #14 the

Code
    omv-aptclean
    rm /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json

fix my issue, at least for the moment

so it did'nt :(

---- >>

The bugging files (bg*) are empty

I ended by adding a cron for rm -Rf /tmp/bg*

• Hello Forum,

sorry, but my english is not good.

I have the same problems with read file /tmp/*.

it seems to be the permissions.
    When the error occurs, I open WinSCP and set the permissions of the
    reported file in the tmp folder to 777 and click Apply again. That works then mostly.

Many Greetings
    BIGAIRFOX

• OMV 4.0.15-1 and kernel 4.14 here. OMV installed with a USB and running on an SSD.
    I experienced the same issue than iamchocho. I tried to set a short self-test for one of my disks (S.M.A.R.T > Scheduled tests) and the message "Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatus..." showed up.

I 1/ cleared my browser cache, 2/ ran the omv-apt clean and 3/ deleted the dirtymodule.json, but the message still appears. I did the same and rebooted also, but the result was identical.

I can read the following line in the logs when the issue occurs:
    omv-engined[3925]: Failed to write to socket: Broken pipe

Will wait for a fix :) It is not a major issue for me anyway.

Asrock J3455 - 8GB ram - 1x4TB WD RED + 1x2TB WD Green
    OMV 4.1.26-1 - Kernel 4.19

• Debian GNU/Linux 9.3 (stretch) x86
    OMV: 4.0.19-1
    Linux OPENMEDIAVAULT 4.9.0-5-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u2 (2018-01-04) i686 GNU/Linux

I have exactly the same problem on a fresh installation (OMV4 on a fresh debian 9.3 32bits)
    In order to pass this message, I perform this command via ssh

Code
    chmod g+r /tmp/bgstatus*

That solved my problem each time the problem occurs.

• Still persist OMV 4.1.0

I have 2 machine one is affected the other is not affected all begin when I activate SMART

Can I help ?
    [c]
    {
    "pid": 30015,
    "running": false,
    "result": "",
    "error": {
    "code": 0,
    "message": "Failed to read file '\/tmp\/bgstatusVtZpUm' (size=0).",
    "trace": "OMV\\Exception: Failed to read file '\/tmp\/bgstatusVtZpUm' (size=0). in \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/json\/file.inc:199\nStack trace:\n#0 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/json\/file.inc(214): OMV\\Json\\File->getContents()\n#1 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/serviceabstract.inc(334): OMV\\Json\\File->read()\n#2 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/serviceabstract.inc(525): OMV\\Rpc\\ServiceAbstract->updateBgProcStatus('\/tmp\/bgstatusVt...', 'outputfilename', '\/tmp\/bgoutputEp...')\n#3 \/usr\/share\/openmediavault\/engined\/rpc\/filesystemmgmt.inc(642): OMV\\Rpc\\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure), NULL, Object(Closure))\n#4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->create(Array, Array)\n#5 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#6 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/rpc.inc(86): OMV\\Rpc\\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('create', Array, Array)\n#7 \/usr\/sbin\/omv-engined(536): OMV\\Rpc\\Rpc::call('FileSystemMgmt', 'create', Array, Array, 1)\n#8 {main}"
    }
    [/c]

• Is it possible that this is a race condition ? For my install, it happens sometimes, but not all the time, and sometimes it will work when done at a different time.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!