Swapping Boot Drive and Cloning OMV System To It? How?

• The SSD I have been using to boot OMV is reporting errors in SMART and bad sectors. I have a new SSD plugged into the system that I'd essentially like to copy all of OMV over to, then shutdown, remove the current boot SSD, and have this one just act as the new OMV drive.

I attempted to use Clonezilla natively via the plugin (one-time reboot directly into Clonezilla) but during the process of imaging the OMV drive, Clonezilla stopped because it said the OMV drive has bad sectors and refused to build an image of my drive (this after doing an fsck -fy and letting any errors get prepared before the image backup started, still failed during backup).

I'm currently back under OMB doing a full file backup of the system drive inside of OMV itself, though that is just doing a file copy of everything to another drive in the system. I still need a way to create a new system boot drive and get all these files/config on there.

Since Clonezilla seems to be failing, what is my next approach I can make to get my entire OMV system drive over onto a fresh SSD and remove this drive from the system completely?

I just don't want to redo all my config and reinstall all my plugins, lose all their config, etc. Even if it's as easy as creating a new OMV boot drive independently (as if I am setting up a new system), then connecting it to the live OMV system via USB and somehow copying a bunch of files from the live boot drive to the new drive while OMV is running, I'd be up for that, too.

Thanks for any help.

• Did you install flashmemory plugin for your SSD?

1. Shutdown your system.

2. Download the Clonezilla ISO, and burn it to a flash drive or a CD, and boot it directly into your computer.
    Next, clone the drive.

If all fail, then try to clone just the partitions.
    It would be better if you start fresh.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Thanks. I will have to look into the flashmemory plugin. I probably did not and it sounds like this is something I should have done.

I'll try clonezilla again with the drives plugged into another system and a Live CD. The Clonezilla reboot in my OMV box didn't want to image my OMV drive for some reason. I realized I need to resize the partition before I do that anyway, since the old OS SSD is 300GB and this new one is only 120GB. So I think I first need to use Parted Magic to resize my current OMV drive to 120GB, then Clonezilla to image it and move the image to a a new drive.

I had considered just starting fresh with a new OMV install on the new drive, but then I figure I need to do all this again manually (right?)

- Re-import all existing ext4 drives (each drive is on its own right now, no RAID)
    - Redo all shares
    - NZBGet Config and Setup
    - Sonarr config and setup
    - Couchptoato config and setup
    - Rebuild my MySQL database for Kodi and start over

I love a fresh install, but I'm worried that there's a lot I could potentially lose or at minimum a LOT of data to rebuild especially for all my file downloading plugins. I'm sure there's more.

I just figured, rather than have to redo all that, easier to move everything to a new healthy drive and keep the files and all the setup and config as-is.

If there's an in-between here or an easy way to create a new OMV installation on a new SSD and then just import all of OMV's config and plugins and all their current data as if I never changed the drive, I'd do that too.

Thanks.

• Also want to say thanks about flashmemory. Had no idea it existed and just installed it. Not sure that will fix the fact my SSD is bad but at least I know for the future once I get this new SSD running. Thanks so much.

I think I will attempt to clonezilla everything to a new drive tonight unless there is a way to easily copy all my config over to a new OMV installation on another drive. If there is, I'll just do it that way. I'm just trying to avoid having to reconfigure everything.

• Yeah, you're welcome.
    Your old SSD is no good now.
    Whenever you using a SSD or a flash drive, flashmemory plugin prolong its life.
    Use the plugin for your new SSD.
    Regarding your disk size, you definitely to resize that before you clone it.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• By default clonezilla will not properly clone a larger drive to a smaller one.

You can try selecting EXPERT mode and activate the "-icds" option. Then choose "Resize partitional table proportionally" in the following menus.

This should result in a functioning clone.

• in my case, the issue turned out to be a space between the system and swap partitions. For some reason the latest clonezilla reads this dead space as a ghost partition and tries to copy accordingly. Shifted the partition locations to be tighter and all G.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!