SFTP login goes to root instead of user home folder

• Hi all.

I had been looking for a good nas program instead of taking the easy way out and spending money on some nas device.
    So I came to this.
    And I really love it!
    Eventhough I know a lot about dos/windows. I know very little of using unix/Linux. I am a persistent bugger though, and know how to read.
    But basicly I just have no idea what I am typing in a shell.
    This gave me a few problems along the way. But up until now I managed to figure it out by finding a lot of answers here. :thumbup:

I set up the smb part. I managed my users and groups. I have the shares with correct permssions on my windows computers and android phones.
    Then I set up ftp. Up until the point I was struggeling a bit to get it passive past my firewall and discovered the wonder of Sftp and ssh.
    I configured ssh. added my users to the ssh group. I can log in through sftp on phone and windows from outside my network with sftp ssh.
    So far very good.

But now the thing is that even though I unticked the box at SSH setings: Specifies whether it is allowed to login as superuser.
    It still seems to go to the root. Instead of only showing those directories the user has access too. Like it did with FTP.
    I read again. And I found a post about it in this forum part... But I just dont get it.
    Now if it would just be me as a user, it would not be a big problem. I just appointed a start directory on my phone and pc to where I need to be.
    But other people have to be able to simply log in and go to where they should immediately.

If someone would maybe like to explain to me how to change it, or tell me what I did wrong, I would be very happy.

Thanks a lot!

• Ok. I have been reading some more on the issue and trying to understand the unix permissions. And Maybe I was confused to the actual difference between ftp and sftp/ssh.
    I read that sftp with ssh does not work at all like logging on to an ftp server.

But what do I want then..
    I want a user to click on a link, enter a username and password, and end up in a predesignated folder where he cannot get out of.
    And where he can either just read what is in there. Or also have the rights to add, change, make folder, etc.
    Or that the user can make a network drive to this location. But the same circumstances apply.
    Basicly what I am used to with ftp.

I did like the sftp easyness and secureness compared to ftp though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You want ftps then. You could do what you want with sftp if it is was chroot'd but that isn't an option in the ssh plugin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Aaha. I will have to read some more then ;)
    But I started with sftp cause I read ftps will give problems for users when server is behind a firewall.

Talking about firewalls. I just changed my ipcop 1.4 to 2.19 and the port forwarding is annoyingly different and the documentation very limited. whats with these default ports instead of just keying them in yourself??
    Why do people always change a working thing???! ;)

Just talking to myself. From some spanish video I learned how to change the default ports.. You have to add the port as a service first... Boah. :P And so we learn...

So at least I got the passive ftp server going in openmediavault now. :)

• So from ftp to ftp over ssl was no problem. And it seems to work without problems in passive mode.. :)
    I just have to experiment a bit more with different browsers on different os'es, phones and programs logging on.
    But it seems I have what I needed.

Now I go and read about the plugins. I want some kind of photo dia show thing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!