Low Energy Consumption NAS with Orange Pi Plus 2?

• Hi everyone!

I have been been donating to the OMV project and using exclusively OMV on my home NAS for over 2 years...the system never ceases to amaze. I think the community here is great, so good that I have always found the information I needed from other posts and have never had to write anything! I have a few ideas for upgrading my current NAS setup in the interest of reducing energy consumption (here in Germany the KWh is rediculous) and I really don't need CPU power in the setup I have now. Additionally, I am approaching 4TB of data (movies/music/pictures) and need to upgrade HD space anyways. I have been looking around on the OMV forums as well as in the Orangepi forums and information seems a bit scattered so I thought I would address my specific questions in a post.

Current Setup:
    Dell Vostro 400 with 2 x 4TB Seagate NAS drives (2nd 4TB is RSync'd to 1st)
    Idle Consumption: 72W :thumbdown:

For fun I had a RaspPi 3 laying around and installed OMV on it from the repos, attached a 1.5TB USB drive and all I can say is, WOW. Impressive. The little thing had no problems streaming music and the upload and download of photos was really snappy. Streaming HD movie files with lower bitrates even worked nice! Best part about it, idle power consumption = 4W! The RaspPi would be great except I have a lot of movies which are Bluray and the USB 2.0 just doesn't have the transfer rates to get it over the network to my Kodi HTPC.

I would like to take a single board computer has Gigabit Ethernet as well as a sata. The idea would be to then get 1 8TB NAS drive (will have probably 5W consumption alone and likely not able to be powered from a small single board PC) and install OMV on it. I write new data / add movie files very infrequently so I could use the old NAS with the 2x4TB as the backup and just power it on when I need to run an RSync.

-Is there a better setup to fulfill the low energy consumption and high transfer rate NAS requirement (ie. is the BananaPi sufficient?)
    -Does OMV run on the Orange Pi Plus 2? The information from the forums on OrangePi wasn't very complete and it was not clear if the OMV image available on SimpleNAS actually works like it does on the Raspberry Pi.
    -Is the single 8TB NAS drive practical? Anyone have any experience with it?

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
    -J

• Offizieller Beitrag

-Is there a better setup to fulfill the low energy consumption and high transfer rate NAS requirement (ie. is the BananaPi sufficient?)

I'm sure a BananaPi would work fine. You could also look at the Odroid Xu4. You would just need connect via usb3 instead sata.

Does OMV run on the Orange Pi Plus 2?

Probably. It works on *most* things that you can install Debian on.

Is the single 8TB NAS drive practical? Anyone have any experience with it?

Should work fine. I have an 8tb drive in my nas but it isn't the only drive. How are you going to backup though?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks Ryecoaaron!

I overlooked the Xu4....I will research that a bit more and see if that would work instead.

To answer your question about backup: the past years using a NAS I have found I rarely (maybe 1 new file a week) write to the NAS. I started out with two drives running in sync all the time but I think that for my usage it is really a waste. Thats is why I think I will turn my old server with 2 x 4TB into the back up with the drives striped. Most critical would be when I upload new photos after vacation... I will just have to remember to turn on the backup server and immediately rsync it. When I buy a new blu ray I rip that and upload it to the server but since I will always have the disc I could never really lose that anyways.

I read somewhere that the BananaPi (I think just the M1) has support issues with hdd's over 2TB. The M3 would support a 8TB NAS drive? Maybe you are right and I should just connect via USB 3.0.......

Thanks again!
    -J

• I was considering the orange pi also but it seems to be poorly supported so
    I was about to ask a similar question.
    would either the odroid c1+ and c2 be quick enough as a server for HD videos?

Dave

• Offizieller Beitrag

would either the odroid c1+ and c2 be quick enough as a server for HD videos?

Both of them have usb2 ports that are the bottleneck. I'm sure they could server HD video to at least one client though.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• oops
    I thought I saw that the odroid had sata. Just rechecked to find it does not.
    oh well.

Short comings
    Raspberry pi
    I remember seeing that the raspberry pi's use the same hardware to service both the usb and the Ethernet in a block diagram. I cannot find the info again. Where the odroid have separate usb host , otg and Ethernet.
    Odroid
    No sata
    Kernel is stuck at 3.14 ( poor hdtv support )

Banana pi
    just checked the sata on the banana pi and it is limited to 2TB drive
    http://www.banana-pi.org/m1.html
    Poor software support

Is there any boards you could recommend for a budget project?
    My final goal is to use tvheadend to record 2 dvb channels at once while watching one via Ethernet

Thanks dave

• Offizieller Beitrag

I remember seeing that the raspberry pi's use the same hardware to service both the usb and the Ethernet in a block diagram

That is true.

No sata
    Kernel is stuck at 3.14 ( poor hdtv support )

No sata but USB3 is faster than sata2. Not much you can do about the kernel.

Is there any boards you could recommend for a budget project? My final goal is to use tvheadend to record 2 dvb channels at once while watching one via Ethernet

Your goals and your budget do not match. To find something fast enough enough with sata, gigabit lan, and new kernel support while using very low energy is going to cost more than you seem willing to spend. You need something like this.

• I have e Banana Pi system running OMV2 but I will migrate to a mini-ITX (AMD AM1) system because of two main things:
    -It has sata but does not support the full sata speed it's a usb to sata bridge.
    -It has GB-LAN but also not full speed supported
    I get transfer rates over wifi from laptop to router and from router to banana over GB-Lan of 10-13 MB/s

If you can live with this then Banana Pi is a good choice. But as ryecoaaron said, the budget is not tailored right to you technical requirements that has to be fulfilled.

• You also can go with an used Intel Nuc (the H-version which supports 2 drives). Buy a cheap mSATA or M.2 SSD (depends on the version) inside for the OS. Use a longer SATA-cable which goes outside the box and a power cable as extension and connect these to a 3.5" hdd. So no need for an external usb case. Haven't seen such a set up yet but it must be possible. An Intel Nuc is much better and stronger than any Pi.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would suggest a formal sticky post of "hardware that work with omv" with the results and limitations.

It would be easier to have a post of hardware that doesn't work with OMV. Even then, this is related to the kernel you are using. I don't think I have seen anything that OMV 3.x with the 4.7 backports kernel doesn't support other than maybe a usb printer.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!