Fan Control for Hard Drives

• So, i hope i am right in this section

for some time i am searching for a Fan Control for Hard Drives. I Wanted to build a new Nas when 3.0 will be released and hope that there is a Fan Controll that i can keep my Hard Drives in Optimal Temperatur range (which is 30-45 Degree C according to big Cloud owners...)

I read in a Statistic about Best Drive conditions for Clouds, and they say its between 30-45

so why is there no Fan Controll Plugin where i can pick which fan is cooling my HDDs so it will start cooling over 35°C and go Full Speed at 45°C

By now i got a MH1210A Temperature Controller
    http://www.da-share.com/mh1210a-temperature-controller/
    or see Manual: http://www.da-share.com/wp-con…014/12/MH1210A-Manual.pdf

Basicly i want to complain and say: make a Fan controll Plugin for Harddrives :D

• i want to make everything perfekt from scretch, so this is why i ask

and if you say "termperatur doesnt matter"

i think i read that you have 50% more failure rate if hardrives are under 25°C or so...
    so its better to have Harddrives arround 50°C rather than to cold...

• Offizieller Beitrag

i think i read that you have 50% more failure rate if hardrives are under 25°C or so...

I don't believe this. I like to keep my drives under 30 C. My Samsung F4s (have 10) have always stayed under 22 C in my basement and have never had any issues with them in 5+ years.

Heat is the enemy of all electronics but so is humidity. If you get a drive too cold with too much humidty, you will get condensation. That is the only way cold is going to cause any issues. Maybe if you had it down near 10 C you might get condensation even with normal humidty.

All that said, just have a fan run at constant speed. If the drives get over 40 C, turn it up. Otherwise, leave it be.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• i think i read that you have 50% more failure rate if hardrives are under 25°C or so...

Go on, give it a try. Can't want to see what will happen to your HDDs - I'm sure that's going to be super epic.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!