Cloning partitions using Clonezilla

• My NAS has an SSD system disk left over from when it was a Windows desktop. The SSD is 120GB and therefore I've turned it into two partitions: one for the system drive and one which is a non-system partition for mySQL, Plex, and so on.

Question: if I use Clonezilla to back up the disk, it saves both partitions. When Clonezilla restores an image to a disk, does it restore the partition structure as well? How does it handle the restoration of an image containing more than one partition?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

if I use Clonezilla to back up the disk, it saves both partitions.

It doesn't have to. You can clone one partition as well.

When Clonezilla restores an image to a disk, does it restore the partition structure as well?

Yes.

How does it handle the restoration of an image containing more than one partition?

It restores the entire disk. Partitions are always cloned individually with the boot record and partition table saved.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Great - thank you. The reason I ask is because obviously I want to keep the system partition, but also to keep the SQL database on the second partition, because that is where Greyhole stores its data, etc. From what you're saying it sounds as if I could restore all of that from the image without any difficulties were the SSD to fail or similar, provided the new SSD were of an equivalent or larger size.

Have I understood that right? (In fact, does restoring to a new SSD mean you have to restore to one of identical size and spec?)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have I understood that right?

Yep, you are all good.

In fact, does restoring to a new SSD mean you have to restore to one of identical size and spec

Restoring to the same size or larger is easy. Restoring to a smaller one can be problematic.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!