How to get rsync going?

• I'm new to OMV so don't mind the basic question. I have OMV running with two USB drives attached to an RPI. Other than creating an Rsync job copying from one USB to another, is there anything else I should do? It just kind sit there and nothing is happening on the other drive. Help!

• Oh, never mind. It's now working. LOL!

Can someone tell me if it's possible to use Rsync on drives that are not physically attached to the RPI? Can I rsync a network drive/folder to another network drive/folder? I'm using OMV version 2.2.5.

• Offizieller Beitrag

On OMV 2.x, you would have to use the remoteshare plugin. That is not the best plugin and I re-wrote it for OMV 3.x (called remotemount).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I did enable the remote share plugin. So how do I get a remote share folder to be seeing by Rsync? I can't seem to figure it out...when I try to add a samba share, I put in the remote server name, and share name, but when I click on share folder I only the two physical USB drives attached to RPI. I can't seem to navigate to the shares on my network.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't get to browse for the remote share. You type that in the share name field. The shared folder box is for bind mounting that remote share to an OMV shared folder for use in the OMV web interface.

So, if you access the samba share with \\server1\share1 on Windows, you would enter the following:

Server: server1
    Share Name: share1

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Finally got it working. So you have to create a folder in attached USB drive to serve as a place holder for the remote share. That was not so obvious.

Also, I could not use subfolder share1\folder as the Share Name, it seem only take root.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That was not so obvious.

I could not use subfolder share1\folder as the Share Name, it seem only take root.

There are lots of changes/improvements to remotemount. Remoteshare has lots of issues and you still may experience permission issues.

• I will upgrade to the latest soon as I can get stable mount on USB drives. I will play with OMV 3.0.51 with different brand USB docking stations and see if I can get a better result. Thanks.

• So I have been experimenting Rsync as a way to sync up files in place of RAID mirroring as suggested. I have a Rsync job setup and it did run the first time but did not complete the sync. I could hit the 'Run' button to get it going manually but it does not seem to run on periodic basis. I've tried to delete the job and recreated a few times, even reboot the machine, but it seem just sits there. I check the Rsync log and there is nothing. What could be wrong?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!