Recover from SMART error

• Hello everyone,
    First of all, I wish you a happy new year.

Second thing: I have a 500GB drive complaining about "currently unreadable sectors (pending sectors)" on my OMV box. I searched for this SMART attribute and I found out that it means that a certain number of sectors on my HDD are failing and they can not be read correctly. Furthermore, some people tell me that I could wait for this sectors to be re-read and hope that the drive could get a successful read and remap them to a good sector of it and eventually, pending sectors would be 0 again.
    I have waited since thursday and everyday OMV complains about it and I don't know what could I do.

I have 2 drives with a backup of this drive and I don't mind wipping the disk with DD to write zeroes on it to force the firmware of the HDD to find that bad sector and remap it or mark it as unusable and stop using it. After that, I could get back the data again from the other drives but the new filesystem would change its UUID and I would have to change all the shared folder configuration that are present on that disk, am I correct?

So I would like to have an advice of someone that had a similar problem and how they resolved it.

PS: I have run a couple of long self-tests and a couple of short self-tests and they report "finish wothout error" but the drive is marked with a red circle in de SMART->Devices menu.

Thanks in advance!

Guillem

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!