File system preference

• So my NAS situation isn't necessarily ideal but I knew it wasn't going to be and I currently am only using one 2TB hard drive hooked up to my BananaPI. My 2TB hard drive is formatted as NTFS. My question for you folks: what file system would you use in my case? Do you think ZFS would be a better option? I essentially use my NAS for hosting mp4/mkv/avi files for viewing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

zfs on a banana pi? No. I would use ext4.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sure without dedupe and compression. It is still an armhf system and not any faster than an Odroid XU4. I just don't see a point of using zfs. The plugin is only in the amd64 repo as well. If you really want a CoW filesystem, just use btrfs.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

http://www.banana-pi.org/m3.html

• Octa-core 1.8GHz Powerful CPU.
    • 2 GB LPDDR3 memory.
    • 8 GB eMMC storage.
    • WiFi & Bluetooth onboard.

That wouldn't be enough for zfs on a 2TB drive?

that's not enough. Zfs binaries and drivers are distributed only for x86_64 architecture. if you want zfs I guess you need to build your own image and compiling zfs for arm. Also zfs is pointless without an additional drive if you want checksumming (don't forget ECC ram which I believe is the main reason they don't support arm)

• Thanks ryecoaaron! I will have to experiment! :) I'm leaning toward ext4 or btrfs. Right now with NTFS, write speeds to my NAS, I'm about getting about 20MB/ps max. I guess ultimately I'm looking for better performance. In this article: http://www.htpcguides.com/rasp…arks-sata-gigabit-matter/ They used ext4 and got better performance. What do you think would be better performance wise? Ext4 or BTRFS? I heard BTRFS is still 'experimental' even though Synology NAS systems use that file system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Zfs binaries and drivers are distributed only for x86_64 architecture

I had to look as well but all the architectures have packages now that we are using the Debian zfs packages.

What do you think would be better performance wise? Ext4 or BTRFS? I heard BTRFS is still 'experimental' even though Synology NAS systems use that file system.

ext4 is faster than btrfs and zfs. I would say single drive btrfs and probably even raid 0/1 btrfs is stable. raid 5 btrfs should not be used.

• Don't think you will get a much better performance with a different file system as the BanaPI M3 uses an USB to SATA bridge. Following the list in your link they used a BananaPI M1 ("the first one) for the test. This one has a SATA II interface without USB and so it is much faster.

Regards,
    chris789

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!