OMV with HDHomeRun tuner

• I recently set up an OMV 3 machine, and I have an HDHomeRun tuner that I am now trying to get working with tvheadend so the machine can double as a DVR. Unfortunately, after much investigation, I'm totally confused. I have tvheadend running, and the HDHomeRun shows up in Configuration->DVB Inputs->TV Adapters, but I'm unclear whether I still need to build/install some DVB drivers or if there's something else I'm missing. I thought that since the HDHomeRun shows up, I was good to go, but it doesn't seem to be working. So I poked around trying to figure out how to build the DVB driver, but everything I find is at least 3-4 years old, and seems to be outdated or way more complicated than it seems like it ought to be. The most promising thing I found was this:

http://forum.openmediavault.or…2337-HD-Homerun/?pageNo=1

But I ran into a variety of issues trying to follow that as well, and I want to make sure I'm at least heading down the right path before I spend too much more time here. Is there an easier way to do this? A OMV package that I should be using? Anything?

Help!? :)

• Did you find this Tvheadend Guide discussion thread

I'm not running tvheadend at the moment because i upgraded to a new server with omv3

At the last time i compiled tvheadend i need to compile with this options:

Code
    AUTOBUILD_CONFIGURE_EXTRA=--enable-libffmpeg_static\ --enable-hdhomerun_static ./Autobuild.sh -t precise-amd64

I also write a guide hoot scan the channels. please see link above.

Which version of hdhomerun are you working with?

OMV 5.x always up to date.
    Modded dell t20 into 19" rack case with Pearl LCD Display (Status Display!)

xeon e3-1225v3 / 32GB RAM / 1x500GB WD Blue SSD (OS) / 1x250 SSD (not used) / 1x1 TB Toshiba HHD (MultiDisk) / 4x 4TB WD40EFRX (Raid5)

• Thanks for directing me to that thread, looks like it has some helpful stuff there. I will take a look through it later today.

I have a HDTC-2US. I didn't compile tvheadend, I just installed from the repository as described here:

https://tvheadend.org/projects…/wiki/AptRepository#Usage

Everything appeared to work correctly (other than the fact that the service wouldn't actually start. I had to dig through syslogs and found that it was because I needed to install gzip2 package).

Do you know whether I need a separate driver for the hdhomerun, or is it built into Debian or tdheadend somehow? (I'm familiar with Windows, but mostly ignorant of how drivers work in Linux... :/ )

• Okay, I read through that thread, and in doing so, hit upon a question... since I'm in North America, using ATSC, do I need the DVB driver? Or is that just necessary for Europe, etc, where broadcast is DVB-x network? Is that why it automatically detected my hdhomerun in tvheadend?

The thread also answered some of the questions I had about setting up tvheadend. It now successfully scanned through channels, so I have Muxes/Services all set up. However, when I try to click on the "Play" links, it asks if I want to download or open the .m3u file. I've tried opening it in vlc and Windows Media Player, and neither worked (just black screen). I haven't set up kodi or another front-end yet, so perhaps I need to do that to actually play it. Is there some other way I can test it before I do that?

• @jps

In the time i wrote the things in the other forum it was this way:
    - To use the any hdhomerung product i need to compile the version with the line i wrote above.

I dont know how the version in the tvheadend repo is compiled.

If tvheadend find all channels it looks for me that there is no need to compile it by your own.
    It should be possible to play any channels directly in the browser.
    I dont know where exactly the button to play is. But if i remeber right there should be directly in the start (EPG) page a play button.

BR Robert

xeon e3-1225v3 / 32GB RAM / 1x500GB WD Blue SSD (OS) / 1x250 SSD (not used) / 1x1 TB Toshiba HHD (MultiDisk) / 4x 4TB WD40EFRX (Raid5)

• @jps

just installed tvheadend on my omv.
    Looks like it working out of the box with my hdhomerun eu tuner.

Did you need some screenshots how to setup?

BR Robert

• That would be great! I really feel like I'm probably close, but without clear instructions, it's really confusing. Did you install with dpkg this time, or did you build it from source again?

Like I said, I have the Muxes/Services set up. I don't have EPG set up yet, but just because I haven't tried; I don't really care about that until I actually get a signal.

I hadn't noticed the "Watch TV" button under the EPG tab, so I tried clicking on that. I got different behavior in two different browsers. In Firefox, I saw "An unknown error occurred", and /var/log/syslog contained this:

In Internet Explorer, I saw "The video could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported", and the /var/log/syslog contained this:

I got similar results when trying to hit the "Play" button from Configuration -> Channel / EPG -> Channels:

Are there tvheadend specific logs somewhere with more verbose logging?

• @jps

I installed like the tvheadend guide shows with the debian repo.
    There is the hdhomerun driver included. https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/wiki/AptRepository
    Only need to add the repo i need (in my case jessie) and select the stable tree.

Code
    echo "deb https://dl.bintray.com/tvheadend/deb jessie stable" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

So i dont need to install updates manual, normal process with apt-get update && apt-get upgrade should work.

Later today when i'm back at home i will make some screenshots how to setup.

I also get the same problem with "An unknown error occurred" also didn't find a solution.
    But i didn't search for the problem now.
    Tablet with tvhclient on ios is workin.

BR Robert

• That's the same guide I followed to get tvheadend installed. I didn't see anything on there that said the HDHomeRun driver was included, but that makes sense given that it's working with the tvhclient for you. So as I suspected, it seems like I'm pretty close, basically have it installed like you (though I haven't set up the EPG yet), and we're both hitting the same error :)

I'll try playing around with the tvhclient tonight to see if that works for me.

• EPG is working out of the box at my setup.
    After the chanel scan the epg datas appear directly.

Edit:
    Attache some screenshots

• I tried with the tvhclient on my Android phone, and lo and behold, it works! It's kind've annoying that it doesn't work in the browser, but that's not going to be my primary scenario anyway, so I can live with it :)

Thanks for the screenshots. I validated my settings look basically like yours; the EPG is not set up, but I think I recall reading somewhere that some areas / networks (ATSC?) don't have EPG info embedded, so it won't automatically get that information; I think I'll have to set up one of the "External Interfaces" (XMLTV or PyEPG), but I just haven't investigated that yet.

Thanks for all your help!

• I tried with the tvhclient on my Android phone, and lo and behold, it works! It's kind've annoying that it doesn't work in the browser, but that's not going to be my primary scenario anyway, so I can live with it :)

Thanks for the screenshots. I validated my settings look basically like yours; the EPG is not set up, but I think I recall reading somewhere that some areas / networks (ATSC?) don't have EPG info embedded, so it won't automatically get that information; I think I'll have to set up one of the "External Interfaces" (XMLTV or PyEPG), but I just haven't investigated that yet.

Thanks for all your help!

It's my pleasure.
    Have fun.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!