Plex plugin no longer starting

• I rebooted my server and ran into these error messages when trying to start plexmediaserver:

I noticed that Docker didn't work properly after the reboot, which made me realize that Plex didn't work either. I tried re-installing the plugins, but no success...

• Just a hint, I installed a fresh OMV 3.0.59 system. When choosing between Plex as docker-image vs plex as omv-plugin I decided to install it via omv-plugin. Maybe it would be easier for you to manage plex via plugin then resolving the docker issues?

• Just a hint, I installed a fresh OMV 3.0.59 system. When choosing between Plex as docker-image vs plex as omv-plugin I decided to install it via omv-plugin. Maybe it would be easier for you to manage plex via plugin then resolving the docker issues?

I'm using the OMV-Plex-plugin and not Docker-plex. I meant the OMV-Docker-plugin isn't working either.

• After reinstalling plexmediaserver-plugin I had the same error with the same error messages. By activating the plugin a folder '/opt/plexcodecs' was created with a symlink 'Codecs' in it. The symlink causes the error. I've deleted this symlink and created a folder called 'Codecs' and changed user and group to 'plex'. After that i could restart plexmediaserver with 'systemctl restart plexmediaserver' and - Voila - everything is running again.

The reason for this is that the symlink 'Codecs' refers to '<plexmediaserver lib-path>/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/' which is itself a symlink to '/opt/Codecs'. The result is an infinite loop. The wrong symlink in '/opt/plexcodecs/Codecs' was set after activating the openmediavault-plugin. The error is maybe in there.

Please have in mind as long as this error exist you have to repeat this procedure after each reinstallation.

OMV 5.4.2-1 (Usul) | 64 bit | 5.4.106-1-pve Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is the line that does that. Should it be removed or changed?
    https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…conf/plexmediaserver#L106

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No don't change it. This symlink ist the correct one. Somewhere in the process a symlink ist set, which is the other way around, like

ln -s "${PLEX_HOME}/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs" "${PLEX_CODECS}/Codecs"

It looks strange, but it's reproducible on my server by reinstalling the plugin. Last time I installed the plugin was some month ago (I don't know exactly), when I changed to OMV 3.0. At that time the install process of the plugin was ok.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plex package itself must be adding the other symlink. Maybe the plugin could look for the wrong symlink and remove it.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• But this only would be a workaround. Before thinking about that, some other users should confirm, that they have the exactly same issue I described.

Is there a way to ask the plex developers?

• I did indeed have the same issue just an hour. But not after the first fresh plex-plugin install a couple days ago.
    The install wouldn't use the shared folder with old plex config on as talked about in another thread though so I tried to fix that and plex wouldn't start this time due to the same error as described above.
    Seems the omv plex-plugin creates the /opt/plexcodecs/Codec symlink and I remember it was in some discussions a while back.
    The symlink ${PLEX_HOME}/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs" "${PLEX_CODECS}/Codecs point to /opt/plexcodecs/Codec which points back to itself so I think the quickest fix is to not create the /opt/plexcodecs/Codec symlink and create a folder there instead.
    In that folder I now have a codec.

As for the database folder it suddenly started using the shared folder after I copied old .../Plug-in Support/Database/ files to the /var/lib/.../Plug-in Support/Database/ folder and restarted the service in the UI. Not sure how this happened but /var/lib/plexmediaserver/ is now empty and the shared folder is growing so all good I think :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!