What is the correct way of changing failed disk

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume you mean a failed disk in a raid array? What is the output of cat /proc/mdstat?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The web interface lists the serial numbers of each disk. That serial number should be on the drive itself. As for the procedure, it depends sometimes on whether the system still recognizes the disk. If it doesn't, then just pull it and put a new disk in.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• And for safety reasons:

If you are not 1000% sure, that you have identified the right physical disk in your array (and you have no indicator on your array), then you should power down OMV before pulling any disks. Otherwise you risk to loose all data, if you pull the wrong disk.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Have I understand correct, that this is the correct way to change failed disk;
    1. First log on to OMV, Raid Management, Detail - then you will se what /dev/sdX is failed
    2. Go into physical disks and find the same /dev/sdX and read out the serialnr
    3. Shutdown OMV
    4. Remove the broken disk, and put in the new disk
    5. Startup OMV
    6. Raid management, recover and choose the New disk

Then everything should be ok, or is it something els I have to do??

Regards
    Kåre!

• Besides waiting for the restore? No, nothing else that needs to be done.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• just as a thought, is it possible (or can it be added) to beacon a particular drive? its handy being able to read the serial number but no good if the drives are in the hotswop bays and its a game of roulette as to wether you will get the correct drive. 1/6 in my case :)

this is as an alternative to shutting down a live production system.

• Could you explain what you mean by "to beacon a particular drive"?

PS: I know some guys that write the serial number on the side of the Drive just for this case.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Beacon means to identify a particular port, interface of device - usually by causing the LED's for that node to flash. this makes it very easy to identify the exact hardware component in need of maintainence.

eg for a hard disk, to illuminate or flash the activity/health LED.
    brocade have a cool beacon feature on some of their fibre switches, all the port activity LED's sweep left to right like knightrider :)

eg:

HTH :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!