HP MediaSmart EX475

• HP MediaSmart EX475
    4x 1.5gb SATA in RAID5 (3TB)
    1GB ram
    Semprom x64 1.8ghz Processor
    PS2 USB/Mouse & VGA Monitor

Initially for testing I have been able to install and log into Ubuntu Server 16 x64 LTS on this machine. It works very well and were I prepared to keep the machine attached to a Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor it would do the job superbly. Unfortunately this is not an option so its not suitable for headless use without re-inventing the wheel.

OMV V2
    Over the last week I have installed successfully on a USB ScanDisk with SWAP, Without Swap, and on the RAID5 virtual Disk.
    Whereas it takes a couple of sessions to get the RAID5 virtual volume built 1st in order to choose it to install on it, it does work.
    Having got the initial build to install successfully directly on USB, I re-built again without swap on USB to see if it still worked with the intention of moving /var and /tmp onto the RAID5
    The installs can be fiddly and most often I have to go back to re-try previous stages 'post disk volume' as they often fail. Being restrained by the install script on this PC is tricky.
    All this done successfully, the PROBLEM IS...
    Post every install on V2 when it comes to starting up there is no video output past BIOS, not even console showing so I have no idea to what stage it progresses as its not registering a DHCP lease.
    I can smoothly shut it down via power button and it does sound to power up fine without error codes or lights, Its just not accessible.
    I don't know how this Debian build varies from the Ubuntu server but I suspect the SIS VGA libraries are not available nor possibly the networking after install.

OMV V3 beta
    Tried installing this today onto the RAID5 volume to see if it made any difference. Installer failes quickly at the Debian package stage but did proceed to build everything with re-trying after that.
    Had to choose all repositories for downloading services before I could proceed to the end point. There is an option to load drivers from another media and asks for an ISO build at some tries but as I don't know the core nor have the drivers or a means of dropping to root shell to get them so i'm stuck.
    Once again however when I finally get to the re-boot point to run it I am blind so i'm assuming same driver issues.
    I'm not surprised V3 failed completely as I doubt its all there but this presumed SIS driver issue has me stumped as I would have expected TXT console to be visible.
    I even tried two different monitors in case it was a matter of out of range signals.

I don't want to give up on this, i'm happy to admit I'm not capable of anything other than following learned instructions on configuring Linux as I don't code in this environment.

As I cant simply use the built in installer script and even manual steps work fine eventually but I still don't get a good result, I need learned input to get to the bottom of this issue.
    If I have to i'll build my own collection of services on Ubuntu Server to get a manageable result but i'd far rather use OMV.

NB Puppy linux, installed on a USB boots up fine though I do need to manually get the SIS fix as the default screen is flakey without it.
    A Ubuntu live CD is unusable as it also cant drive the screen appropriately so I get nothing readable - just out of sync colourful crap.

HELP !! ?(

• I'm not sure what you're doing here. I don't understand your process about Swap or not Swap. The normal OMV installer doesn't give you a choice and installs itself on the entire disk.

Basically, you should remove your data drives, install only the system drive, and run the installer from a USB drive. Once OMV is up and running, you can install your data drives. You should not install OMV on your RAID5 drives. It requires a separate drive (or USB flash device) for the system. If you run the system from a flash drive, you need to install and run the flashmemory plugin.

You certainly shouldn't be installing multiple times. You can drop OMV2 as it will no longer be supported. Go straight for OMV3.

Black screen and not appearing on the network suggests a crash during the boot, but once OMV is installed, you no longer need the screen.

Another option is to install a plain Debian and install OMV on top. This will give you the option to select and repartition your system drive, but you should still keep the system on a separate drive from your RAID5 drives.

• The plan was to simply install on the flash drive leaving the 4 HDDs for a RAID5 however the 1st install had very little options on disk partitioning compared to a normal server install and it put a swap on the USB. As you know SWAP on usb is not good so I re-installed without swap and intended to deal with the frequent write folders as above. The plugin simply makes a RAM drive and points same there as far as I could tell.
    Outwith these installs, the damn VGA issue kept appearing so in case it was related to USB, I decided to simply install on the raid volume as I would do with a full production or virtual server. Using a single disk just for the OS would depreciate the RAID size and features and I wanted 4 drives in the raid. The OS is tiny so on the USB or raid its immaterial but on RAID the virtual volume can house standard swap and operate without worrying about destroying a USB plus I still keep the 3TB raid with Hot Spare etc.
    Trouble is, even installing on the 3tb raid partition I still get the VGA driver issue.

The V3 beta build is all I could find and it has serious issues with drivers etc.
    I can get a copy of Full Debian server and get it running if you think it is possible to update it with OMV but the installer is rather limiting so i'd need pointing at the correct methodology to do this ?
    I'd rather revert to the USB install now I know its not a USB boot issue with the Video. I may with a full Debian install be able to fix this VGA issue prior to upgrading to OMV.

• The plan was to simply install on the flash drive leaving the 4 HDDs for a RAID5 however the 1st install had very little options on disk partitioning compared to a normal server install and it put a swap on the USB. As you know SWAP on usb is not good so I re-installed without swap and intended to deal with the frequent write folders as above. The plugin simply makes a RAM drive and points same there as far as I could tell.

You're making it more complicated than necessary. Don't bother with repartitioning. Just install as normal on your USB flash drive (but really, you should consider using a cheap SSD instead) and install the flash memory plugin later.

You shouldn't be messing around with the RAID drives at this stage, not until you have the OMV web UI up and running. The VGA issue has nothing to do with the drive the system is installed on. As I said, all you need is for it to boot. You shouldn't need VGA display at all.
    V3 is stable at this stage. The only thing holding it back is that some plugins are still considered beta.

Installing OMV on Debian is described here:
    Install OMV3 on Debian Jessie

• Well time has moved on and nothing has improved other than a fresh approach.
    Wiped everything an downloaded the latest V3 of OMV. very easy reliable install.
    NAS has 4 identical drives SATA Port 2 Master,Slave, Port 3 Master Slave according to BIOS.
    IF i INSTALL on 1st master debian sees scsi 5.0.0.0 and slave 5.0.1.0 during install but on reboot OMV is unable to detect 'any' drive in the slave bay/position; its not ignored its not visible to the kernal at all as nothing in device lists or visible to parted etc. BIOS sees it, During reinstall etc sees it or booting Gparted distro but not when rebooted to OMV.
    It could be the sis driver but damn strange. The next master and slave drives show up ok.

if the enclosure had space for a 5th drive i'd use it for OMV but its as above or back to tryin to use usb with ram disk.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!