Issues with Systemdisk and grub - Solution included.

• *modified the Thread 3rd time, incl. Solution*

Liebe Forengemeinde,
    (english translation below)

ich gestalte nun letztmalig diesen Thread um, da ich euch nun auch eine Lösung präsentieren möchte.

Nach unzähligen Neuinstallationen von OMV2 und OMV3 über die verschiedensten Arten (CD-Rom und Stick) unter Verwendung aller möglichen USB und SATA Ports, bin ich dem Problem weiter auf die Spur gekommen.

Das Fehlerbild ist immer das Selbe, erst stelle ich ATA Fehler auf Port 5 fest, sowie den immer wiederkehrenden Eintrag

„Hard resetting link“

Nach einem Neustart dauert der Punkt bei Grub „Initiating RAMDISK“ Ewigkeiten und beim nächsten Systemstart funktioniert Grub garnicht mehr („no Disk“ oder „Out of Disk“ oder auch der grub rescue).
    Mit grub rescue kommt man übrigens zu keinem Ergebnis, da das Filesystem unbekannt ist und nicht lesbar. Wurde wahrscheinlich durch OMV kaputtgeschrieben.

Kommen wir nun zur Lösung:
    Ich habe in meinem HP Microserver Gen8 einen solchen Einbauschacht wie im Anhang verwendet, um eine SSD zu montieren. Da nur ein Slim-SATA Anschluss aus dem Gerät kommt, habe ich einen weiteren Adapter von Slim auf normal SATA verwendet.
    Entweder ist nun der Adapter von Slim auf normal defekt oder der Einbauschacht selbst. Denn seit mehreren Tagen habe ich die SSD nun direkt an den 5ten SATA Port angeschlossen und absolut keine Probleme mehr.

Vielleicht hilft jemandem meine Lösung ein wenig weiter.

Dear Members,

I’m reusing this thread to present my solution to this forum, because it might that someone else is running into my issue.
    I installed OMV2 and OMV3 a couple of times and I had always the same issue with my installation, regardless which way of installation I took (CD Rom, USB ISO on every Port of the HP Microserver).

The malfunction started with entries in the system log file with “hard resetting link” for ATA on Port 5 (where the SSD is connected).
    After reboot, if grub started, the part of “initiating RAMDISK” took forever. This is usually the last time, the system will start.
    After the next reboot grub won’t start anymore and I get the error messages “no disk” or “Out of Disk”. Grub rescue doesn’t work ether since the filesystem is corrupted or not known.

Now the solution:
    I have a HP Microserver Gen8 and bought such a frame like in the attachment to accommodate the SSD in the ODD bay. Unfortunately I have to use another adaptor to connect the slim SATA to regular SATA. One of these parts is broken or not functional and causing the issues. After removing both of the parts an connecting the SSD directly to the server I do not have any error messages anymore.

Hopefully this exercise will help some other users.

• Maybe to get some light in:
    I'm using a HP Microserver Gen8.
    4x3TB in the Rack and a SSD on the 5th port.

I have a USB Stick connected to the internal USB Slot and running Grub on it, which points on the SSD.

After playing around with the 1st grub I was able to boot into the system and it recommended to use "fsck", what I did.
    Afterwards the system started normal.

But what is wrong? How can I prevent, getting this issue again?

*edit* and after a Reboot at is not working anymore.

• okay next step
    I figured out the filesystem on the SSD (/dev/sdf) get's damaged. I have a lot of Errormessages during boot (failed command: Read FPDMA queued..... EMASK ATA Bus Error)
    Furthermore the Grub start takes a long time and sometimes it fails sometimes not.
    But the start needs quite a long time, when it walkes through grub (init of Ramdisk is about 5 Minutes).

Found similar ATA Errors in the Messages-Log in the Web-IF

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!