OMV on Proxmox

• Hi

I am currently building a new Proxmox server and intend to move my OMV installation to this server. Currently I run the following plugins on OMV

Coutchpotato
    NZBGet
    Transmission
    Sonarr

My question is should I move these applications to LXC containers or keep them as part of my OMV3 install?
    Are there some benefits to running these application in their own containers?

Regards

• My choice is to install all of them to OMV3

Those service works properly when your storage for those works properly
    and If installed separately, add overhead for connection between those services
    No benefit for seperation.

OMV3 on Proxmox
    Intel E3-1245 v5 | 32GB ECC RAM | 4x3TB RAID10 HDD
    omv-zfs | omv-nginx | omv-letsencrypt | omv-openvpn
    Click link for more details

• The whole point of using Proxmox is to isolate applications in separate VMs. I would use OMV to manage the data drives, and create shared folders that are accessible to another VM that contains your NZB/torrent apps.

• what is your plan on managing the drives with OMV on Proxmox?
    I am interested because I plan to convert my OMV server to Proxmox server and run OMV as VM as well,
    but I am stack on figuring out the best way to have all my local disks managed and shared.
    I only have one server so the Host will be the hypervisor and file server in one.
    so far, all my research points to using NFS shares on the Proxmox side to expose the local disk pool
    and use OMV with Remotemount plugin to mount the host NFS and manage the sharing of the pool there.
    do your plan to do the same?

in your case you can, and probably should just install all of this apps on OMV VM and run it from there.
    IMHO, based on all research, it is not good to run anything on hypervisor host itself.
    I know many people do it, but I prefer more deeper encapsulation than containers.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

use OMV with Remotemount plugin to mount the host NFS and manage the sharing of the pool

You have more faith in the plugin than I do and I wrote it :D

While this may sound strange and I'm not sure how reliable it is, I created a VM in proxmox and passed drives thru to it. Then I install the iscsi plugin and exposed those drives. You can then use the iscsi shares in proxmox itself to provision storage to other VMs. If you set the iscsi VM to autostart on proxmox reboot, I don't think you would have issues. I'm not using this idea but it did work for my short test. That VM could use nfs as well since Proxmox can use nfs shares.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• well that's the thing,
    everywhere I look, I get impression that passing through disks ins not very desirable option.
    hence my optimism about RM plugin.
    again I am not overly sure I will go that route , but it is an option.

as of late, my plan is to build Proxmox host with WebMin installed.
    Proxmox will manage the VM side of thing and WebMin will help to manage the
    DAS side. using webmin and some CLI commands, I can build out a BTRFS raid-10 pool of local DAS.
    Export it using NFS .
    than build out OMV VM and mount the NFS shares in it to be able to share it out to all clients.
    OR
    I can use Webmin to do all the sharing,NFS AND SAMBA , essentially running 2 role host setup.
    one host serving as Hypervisor AND File Server for everything.

than use remote mount in OMV VM to bring the shares I want into it and run the media processing apps using plugins there. although for apps like Couchpotato,NZBGet,Transmission,Sonarr etc
    I really do not need OMV or Plugins. they are somewhat easy to setup and have their own webUI.
    OMV just makes it easier and less of a mess of it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I get impression that passing through disks ins not very desirable option.

I have four disks passed through on Proxmox to my OMV VM. Never had an issue.

If you don't clone VMs a lot (I do), I would get a raid controller or two and use ESXi. Passthrough the raid controller (even if in IT mode) to an OMV VM. If you need to share that storage with another VM, use iscsi or nfs on the OMV VM.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• ESXi is not an option.
    first, it needs a windows for management and I have no windows machines at home.
    second the management module is not free, and the one that is free is very limited as I have hear.

as I do not run VMs at the moment I do not clone them at all :P

BUT I also do not plan to clone them much anyway as all my VMs will be purposely built, so
    the only reason to clone them would be for backup, and that is a snapshot option, not realy clone.

PS>> I believe Proxmox has a PCI passthrough now, why not use it?
    I have 2 PCI-X 8 sata controllers, not raid cards. as my sig. states I use oldish Super Micro 24 bay AMD box
    I might just pass-through the controllers into VM my only concern is one of the PCIx slots is sharing the bus with onboard SATA ports, so if I pass it through the whole system is tost as my OS drives are on the onboard sata ports. but I can check that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

first, it needs a windows for management and I have no windows machines at home.

Not with ESXi 6.5. The embedded host client HTML5 configuration site works well, installs by default, and is actually the recommended configuration tool for 6.5. I maintain 11 standalone 6.5 boxes at work this way.

second the management module is not free, and the one that is free is very limited as I have hear.

Management module? Are you talking about vCenter? You don't need it.

I believe Proxmox has a PCI passthrough now, why not use it?

It does but I have not had as good of luck with pci passthrough on Proxmox compared to ESXi.

• do you know if I can try it out using hyper-v nested virtualization?

didn't know I can manage the esxi6.5 fully from webUI.

it looks like the only restrictions in there are 2 physical CPU (which is fine as I only have 2 sockets)
    and 8 vCPU per VM which is also ok

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you know if I can try it out using hyper-v nested virtualization?

Probably but I'm not sure. I know VMware does nested virtualization on their training clusters. I enabled nested virtualization on Proxmox so I could install ESXi :)

it looks like the only restrictions in there are 2 physical CPU (which is fine as I only have 2 sockets)
    and 8 vCPU per VM which is also ok

That is a restriction on ESXi < 6. I was able to add 4 sockets and 16 cpus on my test VM on ESXi 6.5.

• trying out to setup right now on my windows 10 Hyper-V setup.
    will see.

• If you don't pass the drives directly through to OMV, then I don't see the point in using OMV.
    - If you are going manage the drives, RAID, and SMB export directly in Proxmox, then you don't really need OMV.
    - If you are going to manage a whole lot of applications in OMV as plugins, dockers, or virtualbox then you don't really need Proxmox.

I also use the passthrough to manage my storage in OMV with Proxmox running other VMs, and there is no problem.

• I do not argue about using passthrough or not.
    just say that as far as my research goes, pass-through is frowned upon by many.
    also it adds complexity as it is not supported in GUI, thus I have to edit the VM config file by hand every time I want to add/remove drive.

passing the whole pci controller is not 100% supported based on Proxmox Wiki.
    I will check the ESXi and see if I can use that, but it will not install under Hyper-V so I will have to do a real install for that.

• a little update here :)
    after a lot of hustle and hair pooling and googling, I managed to install ESXi 6.0 in Hyper-V VM.
    v6.5 is NOT supported.

the host is running and all but to use it I have to go to second PC, not the one I am running the Hyper-V on.

if I understand properly, the Free licence version, I can use the "Download vSphere Client for Windows"
    and use that or "Open the VMware Host Client" and use webUI.
    so far so good. I can not test passthrough feature as it is not supported in nested setting.
    if my real hardware works with 6.0 or 6.5 versions, I will set it up and try it out.

thanks ryecoaaron for letting me know about the webui in ESXi.
    I have stopped looking at VMWare at v5, when they disabled the client in free version and put all those restrictions on it.

PS>> although I do not see if it is possible to setup ESXi system on software RAID-1 like I can do with Proxmox. it seems like ESXi does not support raid.
    Is hardware raid my only option for the system and data store?
    how can I backup the system safely?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von vl1969 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is hardware raid my only option for the system and data store?

Yes. I don't think the system drive needs raid 1 though. We use sd cards at work and I always used usb sticks at home. If it fails, a fresh install with a few settings and adding VMs to ESX is easy. If you have an old backup, you would just need to add newer VMs to it. Your only other option would be a second system providing LUNs to the ESXi box.

how can I backup the system safely?

By system, do you mean the OS drive or the entire system? I would export my important VMs manually once in a while. Otherwise, I would use guest level backups instead of host level.

• is there a way to mirror the usb stick to second one live?
    I mean if I do my setup and all on a USB stick, can I mirror copy it to the second one while the system is running? or I will have to shut the whole thing down and clone the disk on my PC?

I would not have a big issue with VMs, as I am not planning to create and change of them a lot.
    once I have my setup it would stay as is for a long while.

can I export VMs on usb drive?
    can I export VMs with passthrough disks?

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there a way to mirror the usb stick to second one live?

Haven't tried. Maybe dd? Not the best way though. Probably have to clone on a PC or at least boot a livecd on the server. At work, we just keep an initial setup clone and add the VMs if it fails. Doesn't take much time to add them. Settings are stored for the VM in the VM's datastore.

can I export VMs on usb drive?

When you export, the VM is downloaded to the system asking for the export. So, plug a usb drive in your desktop and it would work.

can I export VMs with passthrough disks?

Not sure. It has been a while now and I don't use passthrough disks at work. I think you can export the VM but not the data on the passthrough disks.

• thanks,
    I do not want to export data from the passthrough disks, it will be backed up separately.
    I mean if i need to recover the server I don't really want to do a whole clean install thing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!