OMV 3.x on the Raspberry Pi Zero

• About a week ago, I tried installing the 3.0.59 release of OMV on a Raspberry Pi Zero. As noted, there is an issue with php5-pam on the Pi Zero and 1st-gen versions, and it requires using an older version of the package (1.0.3-2). Following those instructions, I was able to get the Web UI to load, but at no point in time was I able to login - I would get a failed username/password prompt, even after changing the Web UI password through omv-firstaid. Trying to install anything else required the held broken packages to be fixed with apt-get -f install, which fixed it by installing the newer version.

While I was researching this post (which was originally to ask for ideas or possible fixes) I came across this entry on the Debian Wiki regarding the Raspberry Pis, and as it turns out, the Pi Zero is not compatible with armhf, and should instead use armel for the arch type. (Actually, the A, A+, B, and B+ should too.)

How difficult would it be to get an image with the corrected arch type created? I know this is really, really niche stuff, so the answer "too much work" is totally understandable, but you don't know until you ask. I did note that the armel is an arch type for the OMV repositories, but I haven't even had a chance to test the Pi Zero with the php5-pam armel package yet.

Is this likely to make the difference for the Pi Zero? Or is there still something else that might be tripping it up?

• FYI, installing Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi Zero and then trying to install OMV on top of it fails. Neither watchdog nor php5-fpm services start. Watchdog (Monit, I'm assuming?) gets modprobe: FATAL: Module softdog not found., and php5-fpm gets an Illegal Instruction when it tries to start. Whether this is because Raspbian is in fact using armhf architecture for the install or not, I couldn't say; getting armel installed looks to be exceptionally difficult and probably not worth the aggravation. It also makes getting a Zero-specific image together not really feasible.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Offizieller Beitrag

watchdog is different than monit and the softdog issue doesn't seem to cause problems. The biggest issue is that php5-pam needs to be compiled for the architecture. Raspbian is armhf but not true armhf. php5pam for armhf is compiled on true armhf which causes floating point issues on RPi1 and Zero. I compiled php5-pam for OMV 2.x but it doesn't work on OMV 3.x because of a different php/phpapi version. I didn't really want to support RPi1 for OMV 3.x so I never compiled it. That probably would fix your issues though. You could always use the old OMV 2.x image that is still listed as working on the RPi1. Just don't update php5-pam.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can php5-pam needs be compiled for the RPi1 or Zero?

I'm not going to post instructions on how to do this because I don't want to support the rpi1 or zero. Every binary has to be compiled on an RPi1 for them to work. This is way to slow.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's the thing, Volker's actually got an armel php5-pam package, but because Raspbian decided to be cute and compile their pseudo-armhf distribution, I can't install the armel without .deb surgery that I'm almost certainly incompetent to undertake. I might give it a try anyway, but I'm not holding my breath.

Honestly, my reasons for doing this are rather obscure and unlikely to help others in the end. I was trying to do a RetroPie setup on my Zero, and it was way too lacking in horsepower to accomplish anything with it. (When Super Marion Brothers is lagging, you know there's issues.) As a result, I decided to use my Pi 2, which is currently running OMV for DNS/DHCP through dnsmasq plugin, NUT for controlling my servers off the UPS, and a couple of other odd random things. If I did that, though, the Zero would need to take its place.

As it is though, I've got a line on some $25 ZBox Nanos that have turned out well on the last two I bought, so I may just buy one of them for the RetroPie. It'd certainly have a lot more power than even a Pi 2, and would let me leave the Pi 2 where it is.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!