Normal hdd vs nas hdd in low server

• Hi,

I am pretty sure this have been discussed before but I am not finding the explication that I am looking for.
    I have seen explacation from Seagate, etc. on the difference between a nas hdd and a desktop hdd.

But for I am wondering if it makes any difference for my use.

It's a personnal home nas.
    It will store family pictures & video. Mostly backing up what is on our cell phones.
    Store movies dvdrip.

I don't really care to lose the dvdrip movies as I can always rip them again (time consumming only) but I don't want to lose my family pictures as theses are memories that you can't redo.
    That's why I will be using raid for this purpose.

As you can see, that "server" will be on idle most of the time, actually it will probably run less than my personal and home computer.

So, does it really make sense to purchase nas hdd for this purpose ?

Thank you very much !

• I am sure it has been answered before :-), but here it is again.

#1. RAID is not a backup.

so you should not use it as one. you need to have a proper external backup for all the valuable things.

now that said, in your case I am sure you can use what ever you want.
    in OMV you can downspin the drives that are not in use, unless you are running a hardware raid than it is up to the controller, otherwise you have the control.

regular drives or NAS drives doesn't really matter that much. I have run my home server for years on a regular desktop drives and not much problems.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• I am sure it has been answered before :-), but here it is again.

#1. RAID is not a backup.

Yes I know. Ideally I would have a backup somewhere else.
    But I don't want to go there that much. If my house ever burns or get flooded etc. then I will deal with this just like we ever did in the past.

You gave me the answer I was looking for.

Thank you very much !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!