I need some guidance for a rapberry pi2 server

• Hi,

First, I have to say that I am a Windows Guy learning Linux and Debian. I also admit that, although the learning curve is quite big, I do love it.

So, as the subject is saying, I want to build a new server based on raspbian Jessie.

The set up I'd like to have is this :
    OMV 3 as NAS
    NGINX as web server
    Of course MySQl and PHP, PHPMyAdmin for NGINX to run.
    Plex Media Server
    Pydio 7 as dropbox
    And why not, OpenVPN

The problem I am experiencing is this : I installed OMV 3 and NGINX, My SQL as plugins.
    1) I can't figure out how to give OMV and NGINX access to the Ip address and later on my domain name.
    They seem to be conflicting because when I type my ip address in my browser, (192.168.1.118), OMV have precedence over NGINX.
    So let say, I wish to create a simple web page to link to pydio, this way, OMV will pop instead.

2) How in the :cursing:X(;(?( do we install Pydio to work with or alongside OMV ?

Hope I've been clear enough,

Thnks in advance for your answers and help solving my problem !

• Can't answer #2, but as to #1... if I've understood what you mean, and you're only wanting to get to the OMV web interface to configure OMV initially, or administer it later, change its default port to something other than 80 in General Settings -> Port. Using port 8001 as an example, you then get to the OMV interface with 192.168.1.118:8001. That lets nginx "have" the default port 80 to itself, so going to just 192.168.1.118 should resolve your webpage.

• TheSidewinder's got the basic gist of it. OMV runs on nginx for a web server, so if you go into General Settings under System and change the port, that will free up Port 80 for whatever you want to run on nginx for yourself.

Just remember, it's a Raspberry Pi. The Pi 2 is an awesome little machine, but it's by no means a powerhouse.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Let's see for #2 now if I can find some answers.

Pydio Installation Guide

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Raspberry Pi is a bad choice for a NAS.

I wish that wasn't true. I have yet to find an arm board that is a good choice where I don't have to make significant compromises.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about a Banana Pi M?

In my opinion, if it doesn't have sata ports, gigabit ethernet (not on a usb port), and can use a newer kernel without out-of-tree modules, I wouldn't use it.

• Of course we all agree that RPi2 as lots of limitations.

I'm planning to buy a new "old" computer with enough cpu power and ram to feed that server.
    I'm also planning to buy a 4 bay usb 3.0 enclosure to take advantage of OMV's Raid

All that will om true in a near future.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm also planning to buy a 4 bay usb 3.0 enclosure to take advantage of OMV's Raid

Please don't use raid on over USB. Too many people have issues with it. Most people don't even need raid and use it because it seems like backup - it isn't.

• Thanks for the advice. Yes I need Raid for backup. I have a 4TB HDD almost full of very valuable data.

I have lost many HDD in the past and its data. So, now I want secure it "once and for all".

According to you, over what should I use Raid ? esata ?

• instead of raid you can also use solutions like snapraid, that doesn't spin up al your drives when accessing files (save energy and wear&tear), very handy for large data storages that don't change to often. LIke my photo and movie collection.

Snapraid does not have issues with usb drives.

• HI GreenBean,

Yes, I've got movies. But most of my data is work related that I'm accessing often enough.
    Then, you understand that I need something safe over which I cand rely on.

I'll do some research about Snapraid.

• HI GreenBean,

Yes, I've got movies. But most of my data is work related that I'm accessing often enough.
    Then, you understand that I need something safe over which I cand rely on.

I'll do some research about Snapraid.

Hi :)

Snapraid is save, I'm using it for my work to. And most work stuff, especially one person or a family server is considered as storage from which files don't change to often.

The snapraid site has a decent explaination, just read it. A lot of people prefer it these days of the classic raid solutions for homer servers and even small offices.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes I need Raid for backup.

And this is the problem we are trying to fix. Raid is not backup. Raid is redundancy so you can keep working if a drive fails. If you are hit by a crypto virus and raid is your "backup", you will lose. If you have 4tb of data, then you could use the rsnapshot plugin to back it up on a regular basis to another 4 tb drive. Then you don't lose your data. This is what I do (and I backup to another server and to another large drive).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!