OMV3: how to get back to Deian Jessie stable kernel?

• Hello,

Since version 3.0.59, OMV enables the backport repo by default and also installs the backport kernel by default. Because my haswell system wont go in P-state C6 with the default r8169 kernel module, i've installed the r8168 module from Debian stretch manually.
    Since the last version i must install the driver and the kernel headers every time manually with a new kernel version. This i quite annoying.
    How to revert the changes and get the debian stable kernel by default every apt upgrade?
    The debian stable kernel is also supported by debian, very important to get security updates.

Thanks everyone!

• Offizieller Beitrag

How to revert the changes and get the debian stable kernel by default every apt upgrade?

Disable backports. Change the yes to no in the parameter OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS="YES" in /etc/default/openmediavault then omv-mkconf apt

The debian stable kernel is also supported by debian, very important to get security updates.

This is funny. First, you are using a driver from stretch in jessie which is NOT supported. Second, the backports kernel is the exact same kernel as the stretch kernel. It is put in backports by the Debian maintainers and maintained in stretch. I have used backport kernels for years without issues. Finally, you still get security updates since most security updates aren't kernel updates AND the backports kernel is maintained/receives security updates.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Disable backports. Change the yes to no in the parameter OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS="YES" in /etc/default/openmediavault then omv-mkconf apt

This is funny. First, you are using a driver from stretch in jessie which is NOT supported. Second, the backports kernel is the exact same kernel as the stretch kernel. It is put in backports by the Debian maintainers and maintained in stretch. I have used backport kernels for years without issues. Finally, you still get security updates since most security updates aren't kernel updates AND the backports kernel is maintained/receives security updates.

Thank you for your quick reply! Debian dont have the r8168 in the repositories now, so i've downloaded the module manually from debian stretch.
    Debian backports also get security updates? Nice!

It would be nice to have a better solution to install the R8168 module with the backports kernel.

• How to change Grub to get back to the previous kernels? In OMV-extras i've got ony the value "Debian GNU-Linux" under the kernel tab.
    In the past i've got more entries to choose. Maybe the latest version 3.0.59 changes some things?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try: omv-mkconf omvextras disablesubmenu

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, add it manually.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it required to downgrade the firmware packages from debian backports to debian stable?

No. If it isn't there, the backports repo list file (/etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list) is not created. If the repo list file isn't there, then the firmware packages from the regular jessie repo will the default to install. The problem is that a higher version is already installed. So, you have to manually install the lower versions.

In my opinion, this is a waste of time. The 4.9 kernel will probably be the last backports kernel version. So, you won't have to install your driver very option.

• No. If it isn't there, the backports repo list file (/etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list) is not created. If the repo list file isn't there, then the firmware packages from the regular jessie repo will the default to install. The problem is that a higher version is already installed. So, you have to manually install the lower versions.
    In my opinion, this is a waste of time. The 4.9 kernel will probably be the last backports kernel version. So, you won't have to install your driver very option.

So its better to continue with the backports kernel and update the R8168 module some times? If version 4.9 will be the last kernel, then the maintenance is much lower.
    @votdev why did you uses the backports kernel by default with version 3.0.59? A nas must be very stable with less maintenance for most users.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So its better to continue with the backports kernel and update the R8168 module some times?

I think it is.

why did you uses the backports kernel by default with version 3.0.59? A nas must be very stable with less maintenance for most users.

I asked him to include the backports kernel on the ISO for hardware support reasons. Jessie is starting to show its age and the 3.16 kernel did not support a lot of newer hardware. Other than temporary compiling issues with zfs, virtualbox, and iscsi modules, I have seen no problems or stability issues with the backports kernel. In fact, the backports kernel is better in a some areas especially power consumption. So, I would say the backports kernel is just as stable as the 3.16 kernel and I run the backports kernel on quite a few production systems. If someone really wants no backports packages, install Debian Jessie from netinst ISO and add the parameter I mentioned earlier.

• Finally, you still get security updates since most security updates aren't kernel updates AND the backports kernel is maintained/receives security updates.

Just a clarification, if any one gets here now like me.
    It's not entirely true that backported kernels receive security updates, at least they don't with the same LTS policy of standard kernels. The clue is this problem with the jessie-backports repositories being removed from the mirror infrastructure and moved to the archive.debian.org site only (see also this and also this for proper fix, because right now just changing the repository URL is not enough to make apt-get happy again).

Right now, if one wants to stay with OMV 3.x and benefit from Jessie LTS security updates until the final Debian EOL deadline, he/she should stay with the standard 3.16 kernel if possible.

So, providing a UI option to enable and disable backport kernels should be desirable, IMHO, in any case.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's not entirely true that backported kernels receive security updates, at least they don't with the same LTS policy of standard kernels. The clue is this problem with the jessie-backports repositories being removed from the mirror infrastructure and moved to the archive.debian.org site only (see also this and also this for proper fix, because right now just changing the repository URL is not enough to make apt-get happy again)

My statement assumed you were using a supported version of OMV. OMV 3.x has been EOL'd for quite a while.

Right now, if one wants to stay with OMV 3.x and benefit from Jessie LTS security updates until the final Debian EOL deadline, he/she should stay with the standard 3.16 kernel if possible.

You will get Debian updates but not OMV updates. I highly recommend upgrading.

So, providing a UI option to enable and disable backport kernels should be desirable, IMHO, in any case.

omv-extras for OMV 4.x has had a UI option to enable/disable the backports kernel for a long time.

• My statement assumed you were using a supported version of OMV. OMV 3.x has been EOL'd for quite a while

Yes, of course, I just wanted to add a clarification for whoever, like me, prefers to stay on OMV 3.x by now.

omv-extras for OMV 4.x has had a UI option to enable/disable the backports kernel for a long time.

Good, to know, thank you! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available for OMV 3.

• Offizieller Beitrag

prefers to stay on OMV 3.x by now.

Why do you want to stay on OMV 3.x?

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available for OMV 3.

Nope. I never backported it to the OMV 3.x version.

• Why do you want to stay on OMV 3.x?

Upgrading from 3.x to 4.x means another major upgrade of the underlying Debian system... I read OMV 4 release notes and I don't see any major new feature that justifies the effort right now (at least for my usage scenario). I just upgraded from 2.x to 3.x just not to stay too much behind and because Wheezy got EOLed, beyond the LTS period.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!