Snapraid needs a "-h" switch in the GUI

• Hello fellow OMV users, good to be on board!

In regards to snapraid, there should be a -H switch, IMO, on by default.
    If it's there, I didn't see it.

Basically -h is "pre-hash" it takes a short time (MUCH shorter than a post calculation verify) and is just a smart idea.
    It calculates a hash, twice, before writing it to the parity data. Since most users here don't use ECC ram, as OMV is great on 'old hardware', this is a (near) sure fire way to ensure you don't store "bad parity data".

Naturally, I can jump in and triger it via command shell, but a simple tick box for "double check hash before calculating" or something, which adds a -h to the Sync command should be a thing.

Yes? no?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you want it added to the script, the sync button, both, or something else?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Do you want it added to the script, the sync button, both, or something else?

Hmm good question. I don't think it matters greatly. I'd personally say script, but the Sync button might be better suited.
    You could call it "Safe Sync" or keep it program correct, and have it "Pre-Hash + Sync" as a menu option.
    Or maybe even have it under configuartion?
    "Always pre-hash data" as a checkbox?

Personally, even though I do use ECC ram, I'll always be using -h, so I'd love to say "add it to the script", but in reality, people might get confused as to why their Sync is suddenly taking longer.

I'm sure there are users out there who want it to finish "quicker" rather than being super paranoid about it finishing "correctly" (though I dont see the point....).

• Offizieller Beitrag

The checkbox is more work than you think. I will try to get to this sometime soon.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• The checkbox is more work than you think. I will try to get to this sometime soon.

While I still support the check box, Is it less work in the mean time to have an extra drop down menu item? "Prehash+Sync".

As I said, we can do it in the command line for now, but I'm assuming a drop down is less work than a check box. (assuming because a check box would alter multiple scripts, where a dropdown is just a quick new script?)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll have to look. Haven't had time lately since I am in training.

• Offizieller Beitrag

snapraid 3.6.2 plugin has a prehash+sync option now. I will work on the checkbox idea when I have a chance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

deserve a cookie!

Make it a beer, please :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does this mean the diff script is using it now?

Nope. That is what the checkbox will enable. I haven't had a chance to add that yet.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Alternatively, would adding a "-h" on line 402 of the script work?

Sure, you can add it to the local copy of the script. That isn't the way I want to fix the plugin though. Just haven't had a chance to work on it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!