USB 3 External Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting

• As part of the process of upgrading my NAS from one external hard drive to two external hard drives, I reimaged the server with a fresh copy of OMV. The S.M.A.R.T. problem has been resolved, but has since been replaced with a greater problem: I cannot get my USB3 external hard drives to remain connected. For whatever reason, they keep disappearing from the "Physical Disks" list.

Below are some of the error messages that I have seen while trying to things working. I read online that messages like this suggest that the drive is bad, but considering that I am seeing this on two different USB drives, and the drives work perfectly when I attach it to another computer, I am inclined to believe that I am experiencing an OMV issue. Does anybody have any suggestions?

• Well, there may be more than one reason for that. I had the same problem a while ago with a external USB drive when I tried to copy the content over to my NAS. The external HDD was 2TB and I wasn't able to copy more than about 600-800 GBs then it stalled.
    I went through some steps.

At first, I checked the BIOS settings and made sure that there is no sort of power-saver setting active for the USB port or the internal hub itself.
    Then I changed the cable to a really good and reliable one.
    None of this helped.

Finally I found out that the cause of all things ;) was a temperature problem. The USB <-> SATA converter unit in the external enclosure became so hot after a while when I was transfering a heavy load of data over a longer period of time that the circuit board and the chips seam to reach a certain temperature value. Above that temperature level there seemed to occur transmission errors and finally a total breakdown of function. After letting it sit and cool down for one or two quarters of an hour the drive became available again.

How I fixed the problem: I opened the case and set up a fan that was blowing air directly onto the circuit board and the chips and was able to copy the whole content of 2TBs. After this experience I sold the drive ;)
    Another possible solution would be to remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it to a PC via SATA directly and copy over the content with the OS of the PC. But this depends on the File System of your drive.

Regards,
    Sven

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!