Too much RAM in my OMV?

• Hello,

my OMV 3.0.65 is running virtualized on an ESXi 6.5 server. I configured the hardware to have 4x vCPU (2,1 GHz) and 8 GB RAM.
    Now I recognized, that this was maybe too much. Cause I am using only one Samba share to stream a movie sometimes and sometimes copy some files to the share. So really very basic needs as a home user.
    Here are my CPU and memory usage statistics. Do you think I should reduce memory to 4 GB or even 2 GB? Also reduce CPUs?

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 vcpu and 1 GB of ram would probably be fine. I would use 2GB of ram just to be comfortable.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• At the moment I still have 4 vCPU + 8 GB RAM, so very powerful.
    When I copy one big file from the NAS to my Windows 10 PC i have in the beginning a very good speed (around 110 MB/s) but after some time the speed goes down a lot (to around 60 MB/S).
    Why could that be? I use only very fast and high quality components.

• Unless you are using some plugins that require a lot of RAM (like Virtualbox or Plex), then 2Gb should be more than enough for a NAS.

Linux will typically uses up all available RAM, which is normal, so the RAM usage percentage is not a good metric.

Your data rate issue might have to do with how your drives are set up in ESXI. On a NAS, it shouldn't have much to do with RAM or CPU. I use Proxmox, so I can't help, but my speed increased dramatically when I disabled caching on the drive settings.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!