Building OMV automatically for a bunch of different ARM dev boards

• I'm curious about the performance of the EspressoBin running OMV :)

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.5 | omvextrasorg 7.0

• Offizieller Beitrag

May I ask to replace all 'other arm images'?

Done.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Done.

Thank you! Now to the ODROIDs. I planned to release new images for all 3 different device types we support but still struggle with ODROID-C2 and have given up for now. Plan was one single download subdir on SF but for now we should continue with 3 different download directories.

C1/XU4 images at the usual location: http://kaiser-edv.de/tmp/NumpU8/

readme.txt as follows (has to be splitted now of course for C1 and XU4/HC1/...):

Also I would suggest renaming the Odroid-XU3_XU4 directory to 'ODROID-XU3_XU4_HC1_HC2_MC1' since the new image is suitable for all the new devices (wrt HC2 my assumption is that Hardkernel relies here on the 2 port JMS561 we already know from Cloudshell 2 and wrt MC1 while not being equipped with an USB-to-SATA bridge I would assume people might want to use a bunch of MC1 as storage frontends for HC1/HC2 based backends)

BTW: With ODROID-C2 I run into the problem that with mainline kernel I don't have USB access and with both kernel variants the C2 disappears from (my) network after the first reboot. Since I wasted already a lot of time but have no serial console for C2 I'll give up for now.

And just for the record: all these OMV images are created from scratch relying on this script (since yesterday ready for OMV 4 too). When you check out Armbian's build system the first time this template gets copied to userpatches/customize-image.sh (but never updated again since this is the place where your modifications happen). By uncommenting the InstallOpenMediaVault line the function will be called and then creates a fresh OMV image for the device in question. So in case you want to give it a try simply update userpatches/customize-image.sh with latest script contents and then let an image build.

Edit: Debug output (forgot before):

• Offizieller Beitrag

I uploaded the images to a new "odroid images" folder. I will put the C2 image in there as well when it is working. I will give the script a test too.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• First Allwinner H3 boards now supported since Armbian currently starts to move mainline kernel support from dev to next branch:

Orange Pi Plus 2E has 2 GB DRAM, 16 GB pretty fast eMMC, Gigabit Ethernet and 4 USB2 ports in total that do not have to share bandwidth. Tested with my usual EVO840 SSD behind a JMS567 UAS capable SATA bridge:

This is a Banana Pi M2+ more or less the same as above but just with 1 GB DRAM, one available USB port less (only on solder holes) and only 8 GB (pretty slow) eMMC. And the manufacturer forgot voltage regulation so this board can only run with up 1.2GHz and overheats slightly. Same EVO840 but this time behind an ASM1153 bridge:

So we're bottlenecked by USB2 here but since currently dvfs/cpufreq scaling isn't working (comes with an update/'apt upgrade' in a few weeks) we'll get a few MB/s more soon (currently CPU cores are clocked with just 1008 MHz, once cpufreq scaling patches are applied it goes up to 1200/1296 MHz and then ~40MB/s NAS throughput are possible, when using btrfs with active compression and compressable data on the shares bandwidth will further increase).

Images ready for SF upload at the usual location: http://kaiser-edv.de/tmp/NumpU8/ -- 'armbianmonitor -u' output from Orange Pi Plus 2E after moving installation to eMMC with nand-sata-install: http://sprunge.us/VZQW -- log for Banana Pi M2 Plus after doing the same: http://sprunge.us/MHjP and a quick check of OrangePi Plus image (worse choice than OPi Plus 2E since relying on a really crappy onboard USB-to-SATA bridge): http://sprunge.us/SZeh

Updated readme.txt:

Code
    OMV_3_0_88_Orangepiplus2e_4.13.0.img.xz
       MD5 .xz: 05ba3319e28e6dbd4be26542af8ee901 | CRC32 .img: 7da38943

OMV_3_0_88_Orangepiplus_4.13.0.img.xz
       MD5 .xz: 0ec679b62cf11ea7e378a0166fee9d79 | CRC32 .img: a69d16a2

OMV_3_0_88_Bananapim2plus_4.13.0.img.xz
       MD5 .xz: 44b4e69f0dee99971b652142b3138261 | CRC32 .img: c6333150
  • And now ODROID-C2: OMV_3_0_88_Odroidc2_3.14.79.img.xz

Still with legacy kernel (3.14) since mainline is yet not ready. Issues:

• USB instabilities with mainline
    • bootscript not ready for btrfs
    • no performance increase compared to legacy (3.14 vs. 4.12). Though ODROID-C2 NAS performance is not that great anyway since only USB2 and all ports behind an internal USB hub

But at least I could identify a potential problem with mainline (missing IRQ affinity adjustment at boot) and fixed that already in preparation for a later 4.13 or 4.14 image. Boot log with 3.14 kernel: http://sprunge.us/XCVe and this is the necessary line for the ODROID readme.txt:

Code
    OMV_3_0_88_Odroidc2_3.14.79.img.xz: 57610461487310371603e0324ea68a12

@ryecoaaron: could you please test/upload the C2 image and add the 3 'Other armhf images' above to the subdir and add/exchange readme.txt there?

And could you please delete the 3.0.79/4.9.35 RPi image since causing mixed packages trouble for users and replace the readme.txt there with https://pastebin.com/D5SYnU0j -- thank you!

• I'm curious about the performance of the EspressoBin running OMV

Read performance is excellent, write performance not that great but yet reasons unknown. I did not play with EspressoBin for a while since it seems we lack vendor support (GlobalScale / Marvell). You might want to check the last pages of this thread: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…port-development-efforts/

• Offizieller Beitrag

add the 3 'Other armhf images' above to the subdir and add/exchange readme.txt there?

Downloading now.

• Read performance is excellent, write performance not that great but yet reasons unknown. I did not play with EspressoBin for a while since it seems we lack vendor support (GlobalScale / Marvell). You might want to check the last pages of this thread: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…port-development-efforts/

Okay thanks tkaiser,

Then there's only one option for me...
    ...waiting ^^

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.5 | omvextrasorg 7.0

• Offizieller Beitrag

Uploaded everything. Still working on the C2 image but I think my SD card is going bad. Need to find another - too many arm boards running right now.

• Uploaded everything. Still working on the C2 image but I think my SD card is going bad.

Yeah, Etcher allowed me yesterday to throw 3 of them away since one failed already at writing and two at verify stage :)

Only missing piece is readme.txt in Raspberry directory since the current readme might be confusing: https://pastebin.com/D5SYnU0j

I tested the ODROID-C2 image with SD card and eMMC but since this board caused me a lot of troubles (still no serial console available) it would be great if you can double-check :)

• Finally Pine64 / SoPine to replace the older 3.0.71 images on SF:

@ryecoaaron: the usual stuff for readme.txt -- or take the whole version: http://kaiser-edv.de/tmp/NumpU8/readme.txt

Code
    OMV_3_0_88_Pine64_3.10.107.img.xz   
       MD5 .xz: 977773727dee7f81074a46ef67559e5c | CRC32 .img: 57cf4f94

OMV_3_0_88_SoPine_3.10.107.img.xz
       MD5 .xz: bf0fba49cb3284d7330cc46ec0643ea1 | CRC32 .img: 0dc6b09e

Also still legacy kernel since mainline is not ready yet. But I would assume that changes within the next 2 months and then maybe 3-4 MB/s more are possible due to mainline kernel supporting 'USB Attached SCSI'. But of course no magic involved since this is again a platform where we're bottlenecked by USB2:

• Offizieller Beitrag

the usual stuff for readme.txt -- or take the whole version

Sourceforge updated.

• Sourceforge updated

Thank you (though still waiting for Raspberry Pi readme exchanged with https://pastebin.com/D5SYnU0j since current readme outdated/confusing).

BTW: in the meantime I found Hardkernel's 8GB eMMC module for ODROID-C2 again (tested with a 'foreign' eMMC before) and had to discover that the new rootfs resize rule to ensure users go with at least 8GB installation media is not sufficient for this eMMC module since due to two hidden eMMC boot partitions the usable capacity is slightly lower than 7.3 GB here :(

On C2 with Hardkernel's 8GB eMMC the rootfs will not resize but Armbian's resize2fs service will fail instead and install a motd warning. But affected users will not be aware of even if they login through SSH since all they can do is to 'rm /root/.rootfs_resize && reboot' to have the rootfs resizes to full eMMC capacity.

What to do?

I still think that enforcing at least 8GB SD cards is great since it saves users from wasting their time with crappy SD cards (there are zero affordable available with 4GB capacity that do not suck). But the 8GB ODROID eMMC is a different beast since amazingly fast. I doubt many users will run into this problem so maybe just add something like the below to the ODROID readme.txt?

Code
    - In case your OMV installation behaves strange and you use an 8GB 
        eMMC module please try via SSH: rm /root/.rootfs_resize && reboot
    • Offizieller Beitrag

though still waiting for Raspberry Pi readme exchanged

Oops. Missed that one.

I doubt many users will run into this problem so maybe just add something like the below to the ODROID readme.txt?

I'm fine with that. Updated the readme.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you add OMV image for Orange Pi PC

Asking on more than one thread won't help...

• tkaiser Can you add OMV image for Orange Pi PC

Of course not since why? Orange Pi PC has only Fast Ethernet so pretty bad choice for a NAS. But of course you can install OMV yourself, just use Armbian's Debian Jessie flavour and then simply call the advanced OMV installation routine we developed the last months: https://forum.armbian.com/inde…findComment&comment=40951

Even better idea: Wait a few more weeks, choose Armbian's Stretch flavour with mainline kernel when released and start with OMV4 (using armbian-config).

Asking on more than one thread won't help either...

Exactly, I considered not answering at all first and the above is all I've to say to this topic.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!