Upgrade from 2.x to 3.x - not loading

• I upgraded from 2.1 to 3.x
    Just so I could use the NextCloud application (reason why I need a NAS is a cloud and couldn't do it in 2.0).

When I boot, I have the option to choose between debien 3.16 and I think it's 3.8, either in normal or debug mode.

When I load the 3.16, I only see "It Works!" as a webpage.
    Is that a problem with one of my plugins or I missed a step ?

When I load in the 3.8 (not sure exactly wich version it is, but previous version), then the webgui will pop-up the login page but I am unable to login at all.

I downloaded the 3.x ISO so I can do a fresh install. Just not sure if that's the correct way to fix this issue.
    Will I lose my data on the hard-drives ? or when I do my raid setup, the shared folders will still be available ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

While I'm sure that are some Linux command line guru's that could fix an OMV2 to OMV3 upgrade, a clean install is the best
    approach. (Also, it sounds like you might not have backed up your OMV 2.0 set up. If so, that closes off your "punt" position.)

If you're worried about your data drives, unplug them, install OVM 3.X on your boot media (usb flash drive, SD card?) and try to import one drive of your RAID 1 set into the new install. (If you have a RAID 1 data drive set, it's unlikely that the new 3.X install would recognize the set but you could rebuild the pair afterward.)
    If you import a drive, note your shares will need to be redefined and there may be permissions issues if you have plug-ins that create system users and assign permissions to directories on your data drive.

Here's a link that covers possible issues with importing a foreign data volume, after a fresh build / upgrade. (OMV 2 to OMV 3)
    I think it's best to copy data in, so permissions are inherited, but that's just my opinion.

• Thank you

I will do a clean install then.

I will try import, but it doesn't really matter as I haven't deleted what I ported to it.
    But it's a long process due to using powerline instead of ethernet cable. (may be I should just run one long one down the stairs for now lol).

• I've done that,, a temporary run of Cat5. :D

I have one powerline client. Cat5 wired connections, full duplex, really move data in comparison.

Good Luck.

I understand.

I reinstalled and the raid was listed. But still decided to ask for a resync and see what come up out of it.

But I realized that the upgrade probably worked, just that the admin password was probably reset, is it ?
    Meaning that's one of the reason I wasn't able to connect. But still had some "errors" show up.
    I would have prefered to keep the stable version, but unfortunately wasn't possible with my needs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I reinstalled and the raid was listed. But still decided to ask for a resync and see what come up out of it.

Explain this to me:
    You "reinstalled" OMV, and your RAID set was recognized, without configuration?
    (When I say "reinstalled", I mean you built a new OMV 3.X install from scratch, with an ISO image. Not an upgrade.)

But I realized that the upgrade probably worked, just that the admin password was probably reset, is it ?
    Meaning that's one of the reason I wasn't able to connect. But still had some "errors" show up.
    I would have prefered to keep the stable version, but unfortunately wasn't possible with my needs.

I don't know what's in the upgrade script (that's beyond me) but I imagine that resetting the root and/or the admin (Web login) passwords might be possible in the process. The default passwords for both users, root and admin) is openmediavault . I read that another forum member, who had a problem with his upgrade, used "root" and "openmediavault" to log into the web interface. You could try that as well but, if it worked, you wouldn't have a clean installation.

Different things can happen with an "in place" command line version upgrade but, in my case, the typical outcome was no Wed Page log-in. Also there are significant differences in plugin's I use, between OMV 2 and OMV 3, that can cause problems . This is why I decided, at the advice of a moderator and a good number of forum members, to build OMV 3 from scratch (a clean install). Thereafter, I copied my data over the network and into the new build, onto a freshly wiped data drive, to avoid potential permissions issues. (I also wanted to use Btrfs in the new build.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!