Folder creation at startup

• Hi,

I have deleted shared folders that do not appears in the web gui anymore but at every startup my OMV create them again.
    They are causing some conflicts because Windows do not handle two folders with the same name but different upper case letters. (one called Media and one media).

I could think of creating a script that runs at startup to delete them but I'd rather want to find where the problem is located and fix it.
    Can someone tell me where to begin to search?

Regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

I have deleted shared folders that do not appears in the web gui anymore but at every startup my OMV create them again.
    They are causing some conflicts because Windows do not handle two folders with the same name but different upper case letters. (one called Media and one media).

Your shared folders are, probably, still there. Have you SSH'ed in to check to see if they're still there on the command line?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

The Web GUI won't simply delete a shared folder - "if" it's referenced by another process and/or a plugin. It is expected that, before deleting a shared folder, the admin will delete references to the shared folder first.

Look at the following, highlighted below:

Both of the above folders are referenced. The first one is referenced (attached, opened, etc.) by Rsync. If I wanted to delete this folder, I'd need to delete the Rsync job that's attached to it first.

Look through OMV, find any references to your shared folder(s) and delete them.

In the future, if you look at the above screen and see "Referenced", "No", you'll probably be able to delete a shared folder permanently. If you see "Yes" look for the reference, a plugin, etc., that is attached to the shared folder. Delete the reference, then delete the folder.

If you don't see your folders in the GUI, after a reboot, SSH in as root. Find the directory and use
    rm -r -f use-dir-name-here

(This will delete the directory and all of it's contents. Use this with caution.)

• Hi,

I have already deleted using rm -rf.

But before doing it I did not checked in the web-gui if they were referenced.
    Something is creating them but I do not know what is doing it.

Is there any log that I can check? I am pretty sure it comes form Samba and/or NFS.

Thanks for the answer

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, in a matter of hours, I'm going out of town for a few days. I'll try to look into this when I get back.
    Until then, poke around in the GUI, in plugin's, Rsync, OMV shares, samba shares you're using, etc. If you find something that is referencing deleted folders, delete it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

(Just got back)

Are you straightened out yet?

If not, what plugin's do you have running? (Or plug-ins you may have removed but were running when you deleted your shares.) Plex, for example?

Also, what are the paths and directory names for the spontaneously recreated shares?

**In the worst case scenario, to get OMV running again, you could name your shares Media-OMV. I do something along those lines to be able to differentiate between two otherwise identical shares.**

• Hi,

I have checked all my shares, no ones point on thoose folders.
    THe two folders that are doing this are: /export/RAID/media and /export/RAID/transmission

Transmission was used by the transmission plugin but not any more and media was used by nfs and smb.

Thoose are the plugins I am using: Shellinabox, transmissionbt, remotedesktop, omvextra

• Offizieller Beitrag

THe two folders that are doing this are: /export/RAID/media and /export/RAID/transmission

Transmission was used by the transmission plugin but not any more and media was used by nfs and smb.

Thoose are the plugins I am using: Shellinabox, transmissionbt, remotedesktop, omvextra

Note that you may have installed plugin's that are not showing in the GUI - not unlike these directories that keep returning.
    To see all installed plugin's from the CLI.
    dpkg -l | grep openm
    (This one is new to me - apparently OMV has a number of standalone programs.)

RAID? Did you have a RAID1 array defined at some point? RAID 1 (a broken / regenerating array) is capable of recreating files and folders.

BTW: Samba, Rsync, and other standard OMV features, that are not plugin's, can reference shares as well. (Which may prevent them from being deleted.) I don't know anything about NFS.

Regarding the transmission plugin.
    Many plugins have log files that, if they don't exist, are automatically (re)created. Also, they may create folders as destinations for files. Check the files paths in transmission for it's default paths, download directories, etc.

• Code
    ii  openmediavault                        3.0.64                     all          Open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-keyring                1.0                        all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii  openmediavault-omvextrasorg           3.4.21                     all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    ii  openmediavault-remotedesktop          3.6                        all          Remote desktop plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii  openmediavault-shellinabox            3.4                        all          Web-based SSH client.
    ii  openmediavault-transmissionbt         3.0.9                      all          OpenMediaVault Transmission (BitTorrent client) plugin.

Yes my drive are connected as RAID 5.

I do not know where to search for transmission's logs. The ones in /var/log doesn't have anything usefull.

Last thing I have CrashPlan on my OMV but I have installed it after the first time I have seen this issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here's a link to the Debian version of Transmission's install documentation.
    https://wiki.debian.org/BitTor…ransmission#Configuration
    Some of Transmission's default paths are specified in it.

Along other lines:
    I found it interesting that your two persistent directories are in the export folder. After looking into it, I found that (by default), NFS uses /etc/exports for configuration purposes which seemed to be related.
    So, on my VM test build of OMV, I activated NFS and created a share. The NFS share populated the "/export" folder with the new NFS share. (In my test case it's /export/music.)
    Hence, if you delete your NFS shares (which may be "Read Only" BTW), you may find that your persistent directories disappear. That's what happened in my test case. (Turning off the NFS server didn't do it. The share(s) must be deleted.)

If that doesn't fix it:
    By your own observation, something on your system is (re)creating directories that you've deleted (more than once). OMV or Debian Linux, by default, does not do this. Therefore something happened, after the initial installation, to create this issue.
    Second, this problem appears to have been generated by NFS OR (possibly) the lower level OMV folder share that the NFS share was built on. (Was the low level directory share deleted, from the command line, BEFORE the upper level NFS share was deleted?) Regardless, maybe it's time to look at the NFS MAN pages for more help.

What it boils down to is, there are a few choices in the matter:
    - Find what is causing this. (Yes, it seems to be a mystery but, you know the history and order of changes to your server better than anyone else.)
    - Use other directory names (Add a letter, number, a dash, another symbol, or use another folder name. In essence, a "work around".)
    - Rebuild OMV from scratch.

If you rebuild (or even if you don't and decide to go with a work around), I'd highly recommend imaging your boot media / drive with the Mac equivalents of Win32diskimager (for removable flash media) or Clonezilla for hard drives.

I re-image on a fairly regular basis; before major upgrades and well after the time when I've made significant configuration changes. (I wait long enough to know that OMV upgrades and configuration changes work as intended.)

With a few images to fall back on, if something inexplicable happens, you'll have a"punt" position. Spending 10 to 15 minutes backing up boot media like this has save me from rebuilding on at least two occasions. (A flash drive failure and an instance where an upgrade failed for unknown reasons.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!