Suggested File Manager

• Hello,
    I've managed to install openmediavault 3.0.73 on a spare computer last weekend to use it as a home NAS.
    Since then, I've been able to configure everything and I'm pretty satisfied about the result (considering that it's my first time and that I have zero experience with Linux ^^ )

However, there's one thing I can't figure out myself.
    How can I install a file manager to move file from different partitions, without using a host computer?

What I've tried so far:
    1) SHELLINABOX + MIDNIGHT COMMANDER: this could probably work but I don't know how to make shared folders appear in midnight commander.

2) EXTPLORER: I see this is probably the most suggested option.
    The problem is: how do I install it? What version do I need to download?
    I've looked for it in the "unofficial plugin repo" by ryecoaaron but I can't find it.

3) PYDIO: I found a guide where they suggested to install a plugin called "openmediavault-website" first but I can't find it for openmediavault 3.0.73 and I'm kinda blocked.

Thank you for any help!! :)

• if you are moving files between shared folders then any computer can be used - just using finder (mac) or windows explorer.

If you want to get into the OMV file system, then using a FTP client and connect using SSH (SFTP) will allow you to connect to OMV and have full access to the file system. I use cyberduck on my mac and FTP client Pro on my iPad/iphone.

All you need to do is install the FTP client and setup a SSH or FTP connection to OMV.

I don't think you need or would want to do this task from within the OMV GUI.

Hope this helps but not sure if I am understanding your question.

• but I don't know how to make shared folders appear in midnight commander

You can use the remoutmount plugin from the OMV-extras testing repo. With it you can mount a share of the host comuter to the mount folder in OMV (/mnt or /srv). Then you can see it also with Midnight Commander.

EXTPLORER: I see this is probably the most suggested option.

I know Extplorer was available for OMV2, because I did install it then. In OMV3 I can´t find it anymore. Maybe it was not ported to OMV3.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe it was not ported to OMV3.

It was not ported to OMV 3.

You could also use WinSCP.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

1) SHELLINABOX + MIDNIGHT COMMANDER: this could probably work but I don't know how to make shared folders appear in midnight commander.

Just navigate to the folder (no matter if you have made it a shared folder in OMV or not). Your hard drives are mounted in /srv/...
    You can also use MC in a Putty session.

• to move file from different partitions, w

Maybe I mistaken something. :/ Thought @Peach1200 has intended to move files from another PC to the NAS.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Thank you so much for all your answers!
    I am overwhelmed by the support received!

First thing I probably need to clarify: what I mainly want to do is to be able to movefiles between the hard disks installed in the NAS, in the fastest way possible.
    I've already tried to do it from my Windows PC (through SMB shared folders) but it's obviously a slow process since files can't be copied/moved directly from one HDD to the other.
    This is why I was looking for a native file manager of sort.

That said, let me answer all of you:

Thank you!
    My question wasn't clear enough; thank you anyway for suggesting an FTP client.

It was not ported to OMV 3.
    You could also use WinSCP.

I've installed WinSCP; is it similar to Filezilla, right?
    Could I use it to move files directly between HDDs installed in my NAS? How, exactly?

Just navigate to the folder (no matter if you have made it a shared folder in OMV or not). Your hard drives are mounted in /srv/...You can also use MC in a Putty session.

Great, it worked like a charm. Thank you!
    At the moment I'll use this method!! :)

Maybe I mistaken something. :/ Thought @Peach1200 has intended to move files from another PC to the NAS.

Sorry, I didn't explain clearly enough what I was looking for.. ^^

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've installed WinSCP; is it similar to Filezilla, right?
    Could I use it to move files directly between HDDs installed in my NAS? How, exactly?

Yes, it is similar to Filezilla.
    Yes, you can use it to move files directly between hard drives. How? Depends on which setup you installed with. If you installed with two explorer style panes, just drag and drop. If you install with one pane, you can right click on the thing you want to move/copy and select move or copy. Try it. It is pretty easy.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, you can use it to move files directly between hard drives. How? Depends on which setup you installed with. If you installed with two explorer style panes, just drag and drop. If you install with one pane, you can right click on the thing you want to move/copy and select move or copy. Try it. It is pretty easy.

I have WinSCP installed on Windows 10. Left pane is local computer (Windows 10), right pane is server. But how can I have the server also on the left pane?

• But how can I have the server also on the left pane?

I would like to ask the same question.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess you can't have two remote panels. I was thinking you could. I guess your only option is right clicking on file and copy/move.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, seems WinSCP can "only" be used between local and remote.

Local / Local is not possible https://winscp.net/eng/docs/faq_filemanager
    and remote / remote seems also only possible by command line https://winscp.net/eng/docs/faq_fxp

• Offizieller Beitrag

The way you describe that makes it seem like you can't copy or move files on the remote server. You can drag a file into a subfolder or you can right click on something and move/duplicate it. So, it is still very useful for moving files on a remote server without transferring them to the local workstation. Personally, I just use the command line though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The way you describe that makes it seem like you can't copy or move files on the remote server. You can drag a file into a subfolder or you can right click on something and move/duplicate it. So, it is still very useful for moving files on a remote server without transferring them to the local workstation. Personally, I just use the command line though.

sorry, that was not my intention; good you clarified

• Yes, it is similar to Filezilla.Yes, you can use it to move files directly between hard drives. How? Depends on which setup you installed with. If you installed with two explorer style panes, just drag and drop. If you install with one pane, you can right click on the thing you want to move/copy and select move or copy. Try it. It is pretty easy.

I've tried Filezilla, since I already had it installed. It works GREAT!

Thank you @ryecoaaron, I don't know why I haven't thought about FTP before.. ^^

• What about this kind of file manager that is used in webmin new default theme named authentic https://github.com/qooob/authe…r/extensions/file-manager ?!

It's fast easy

Linux openmediavault 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.15.11-1~bpo9+1 (2018-04-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    hp proliant N40L 8GB ram on 64GB flashAMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor
    More abut me: http://www.etiennebretteville.com

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ebretteville ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Up+!

You are bumping a suggestion for a theme for webmin's file manager?

• No this is a simple yet powerful file manager used in a webmin theme. Maybe it can also be used in omv

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Linux openmediavault 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.15.11-1~bpo9+1 (2018-04-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    hp proliant N40L 8GB ram on 64GB flashAMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor
    More abut me: http://www.etiennebretteville.com

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!