[RESOLVED] Slow Transfers Over Gigabit

• I am currently experiencing very slow network speeds over a wired gigabit network. To make sure my router/switch is not the problem, I grabbed a straight through Cat 6 network cable and connected my NAS and laptop directly. Yes, I know I should use a crossover cable but these two devices are mdi-x compliant (they auto negotiate and figure it out). The laptop contains a gigabit network card and so does the server. I tried to transfer a file using Filezilla over SCP. The max transfer speed that I get is around 10MB/s. Below is a copy of my build. If my laptop is running Windows 7, I can barely get it to transfer over 6.7 KB/s and it constantly drops out. Any suggestions?

Current Build:

• LIAN LI PC-Q25B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
    • ASUS C60M1-I AMD Fusion APU C-60 (1.0GHz, dual core) AMD Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
    • SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    • SanDisk ReadyCache SDSSDRC-032G-G26 2.5" 32GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for Windows 7-based PCs (Boot Drive)
    • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
    • WD Red 2TB Drive (data)
  • Wireless will slow it down a lot. Your tests should be via wired connections. Filezilla I believe has a setting to limit speeds. I would get a shared folder setup and then share the folder via smb/cifs. Transfer a file from a win7 machine to the share or vice-versa to test speeds. On a gigabit network you should get between 60-110mb/s depending on the file type.

• Correct, wireless does indeed slow down a connection. However, I'm testing this only through a wired only set up. Wireless is not even being tested at the moment. Through a wired connection from a Windows 7 computer, I can only get a transfer speed of 40KB/s max. The server is hosting a SMB/CIFS share and I'm connecting to it through windows explorer now.

• Check this path and tell me the files that begin with "rt": /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/kernel/drivers/net

PS-answer and that I'll post more later gotta eat dinner.

Code
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
  • no file begins with "rt" in that directory

• The website is saying r8168 for your nic but I see that there is a r8169. That should work. So the driver should be ok.

r6040.ko "r8169.ko"

so there has to be another issue. I'm starved but I will post more later. Do you have a normal cable you can test with it?

• I just realized that the laptop is running a 100mb nic and not a gigabit. Either way, the transfer speeds from the laptop to the server are extremely low. Here are the results.

• Can you hook back up to LAN and give me ethtool eth0 once hooked up? Also, you should be testing with another computer with gigabit nic and going thru gigabit switch to the OMV. I see you had direct connect but there can be other issues testing that. It would easier to verify and problem solve normal connections 1st.
    You have to realize we jump from posts to posts and sometimes have multiple windows open trying to help people. We do not always read complete info when doing this. I saw slow speeds and first wanted to check drivers and then down the list. There are some other forum members using this motherboard and I don't think any of them had issues with the nic speed. Hopefully you do not have issue with the board. You can also test the motherboard with a live cd. Boot to a live cd while connected to your network and see if you connect at gigabit speeds with the live cd.

• 10 MB/s is the maximum you can get out of a 100 Mbit/s connection. So that is okay.

Can you tell us more about your Notebook you are using? What hardware is in (Atom, Hard Disk etc. pp.) and what does your Windows7 installs do in other tasks during that file transfer test?

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Prozessor: Intel Core i3 2310M, Intel Core i5 2410M, Intel Core i5 2540M
    Grafikkarte: Intel HD Graphics 3000, NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
    Bildschirm: 15.6 Zoll
    Gewicht: 2.4kg
    Preis: 600 Euro

Whatever Processor is in, it should be okay for Windows7. The amount of RAM would be interesting. I still cannot see where this transfer rate of 17kb/s comes from. No problems here with Windows7 and OMV

• I'm not sure why, but everything seems to just work today. I shut down the server last night and booted it today when I got home. The transfer speeds from my laptop are optimal (11MB/s on a 100mb connection). I'm wondering if a good rest did the trick. Once again I'm happy with the end result! :D

On a side note, my laptop has 6GB of RAM. I think that was a question that was posted earlier.

• Great, now you can think about getting a Gigabit Network in between you Notebook and the OMV. This should speed this up to whatever your harddisk in your notebook is able of. In case of an SSD you would easily eat up all bandwidth and get >100 MB/s.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!