The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

ryecoaaron: I am shocked that you're hanging out on a NOOB thread! (Well,, I can only speak for myself.... )
    All we're doing is counting toes,,, 8, 9, 9 1/2,,,, (what?,, whole numbers only!,,, gotta' start over...)

Ssshhh....he might be able to help with the whole numbers.... :P

• Offizieller Beitrag

My wife's 2 machines have just installed the latest W10 creator update (she has a laptop and a netbook) the laptop keeps coming up with a warning 'You must sign in to your Microsoft Account'.....why? no reason just the message.

It was that roadblock (the M$ account) that sent up red flags when I was testing W10. I created a fictitious account, to work with W10, to prevent inadvertent disclosure. I understand a few things about data mining "people" (I.E. the masses). The behavior sciences crowd have models that, with some key info and data on routines, can predict human behavior with astounding accuracy. M$, in my estimation, is trying to exploit the insights provided by these models by collecting as much as possible on their users. (And then packaging it up and selling it to the highest bidder.)

Along other, software lines, the endless addition of undocumented M$ "features" (read needless complexity) is beginning to make Linux look simple by comparison. If you're willing to help yourself, even a bit, the Linux crowd is willing to work with you. And while it can be a bit coarse, out of date, etc., nearly everything is documented.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Considering what you put up with, Noob's, (me), etc., here's a new Avatar for you.

:D

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It was that roadblock (the M$ account) that sent up red flags when I was testing W10. I created a fictitious account, to work with W10, to prevent inadvertent disclosure. I understand a few things about data mining "people" (I.E. the masses).

I would agree, I've had a look at both machines and the wife has One Drive on her laptop hence I'm guessing the message, on the netbook One Drive is not installed, but the re modelled Defender has the yellow exclamation telling you to log in to your MS account.

is beginning to make Linux look simple by comparison.

Yep...I actually looked at LibreOffice on Mint, you can actually save a file as an MS office doc, which I wasn't aware of, the only thing is does is open the doc in Compatibility Mode in Office, but it works....I therefore Installed some MS Core TT Fonts which I must admit I had forgotten about.
    I've only ever used Mint for browsing and emails, but the more I get 'jogged' into using it more the more I am inclined that it may be time to call time on MS...however, the problem I have is the wife she'll never use anything else.

Saying that I have not long finished re installing a laptop and workstation for neighbour....one was running Vista and the other XP!! now they are both running W7 and they think I'm the best thing since sliced bread ^^ Added to that he uses a MAC and he can see both machines but can't access them...so I give a quick tutorial on how to set up a share that he can access (the XP machine had all his business invoices on) as yet I've heard no more, but no doubt I'll get a knock on the door.....but this is where one could introduce people into using Linux on older hardware, instead of spending money on the latest bells and whistles. They have 4 kids 3 of which are at school....but the eldest is due to start at senior school and they have to purchase a chromebook for him....but the school have he will need access to a PC for homework. I do have a spare machine that I could install Mint onto and let them borrow that to give them a feel for Linux and wait for some feedback.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep...I actually looked at LibreOffice on Mint, you can actually save a file as an MS office doc, which I wasn't aware of, the only thing is does is open the doc in Compatibility Mode in Office, but it works....

I've been using opensource equivalents for M$, and other commercial software products, for years. For MS office, I was using Openoffice.org but it seems that LibreOffice is becoming more popular. (And since their origin was the same, not so long ago, they're nearly identical.)
    For Visio (diagramming), there's DIA which is functionally the same thing. Outside of trading software (and there are some open source offerings in this area as well) if you're looking for a replacement software package, this site can provide you with some options.

http://alternativeto.net/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now for the more interesting question:

I thought Brit's called the toilet a "loo" or, in rarer occasions, a "privy". Are you translating to "American"?
    (Sorry, I couldn't help it. )

Yeah loo but that wouldn't make sense in the context.....privy now that's an old english saying.....but what's with a 'half bath' is it only in the US you have those..... ;) personally the Aussie saying is the best.....dunny :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tend to lean toward the term "crapper". It describes the item and the function, in a single word, with no ambiguity.
    (And it has history on your side of the pond.)

Yep, it would be hard to take a half a bath or half a crap. The "half bath" is probably a creation of real-estate agents, which would go a long way toward explaining it.

The way the older generation put it to me (God rest their souls); one could live a good life "if" one managed to avoided Doctors, Lawyers, and Real-Estate Agents - as they're professions that "make a living and thrive on the misfortune of others".

• Offizieller Beitrag

Speaking of politics awhile back, I'm beginning to get a rough idea of "how and why" open source projects die. I mean, some just can't help themselves. They have to be "right", all the time. (Often, at the expense of what they're trying to do.)
    If one has a bit of experience and seasoning, one realizes that "right" has more than a bit of variation in it. What is "right" for one is NOT necessarily "right" for another. Sadly, it will take some of us 30 to 40 years to learn this simple truth.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is "right" for one is necessarily "right" for another.

Should that have been isn't necessarily right for another?

The "half bath" is probably a creation of real-estate agents, which would go a long way toward explaining it.

That would make sense nothing like a bit of 'up marketing' to make something sound better than what it actually is.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should that have been isn't necessarily right for another?

A slip.. Hey, I'm an American.. We slaughter the language. It's just what we do. :D
    (But I corrected it Retro-Style...)

• Offizieller Beitrag

A slip.. Hey, I'm an American.. We slaughter the language. It's just what we do.

:thumbup::D

Ok back to the things in hand....I've obviously lost the plot, or the understanding.....so here I am thinking right I'll lose a laptop and run the W7 VM from a clean install of Linux Mint, this will only mean one thing buying a network printer/scanner.

So before I start on this venture I think check the W7 VM.....so having done that I check the networking, when I set this up I left everything as a default, so the networking is set as NAT and it points to an ip address 10.*.*.* odd I'm thinking obviously this picks up DHCP from VB :/ But I want this W7 VM to be part of the current workgroup i.e 192 etc. so that I can access files on the samba shares.

I've used MS Hyper-V at school and when creating or adding VM's you set the network option as VLan and when the machines started you configure a static ip....so is that all I do with the W7 VM or do you have to change one of the network options. The odd part....which probably isn't, the DNS points to 192

I only looked at this as an idea + the wife's away until Monday, at her sisters, so I have the whole weekend to have a look at this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So before I start on this venture I think check the W7 VM.....so having done that I check the networking, when I set this up I left everything as a default, so the networking is set as NAT and it points to an ip address 10.*.*.* odd I'm thinking obviously this picks up DHCP from VB :/ But I want this W7 VM to be part of the current workgroup i.e 192 etc. so that I can access files on the samba shares.

Use a "bridged" network adapter (not NAT). I know it's not intuitive, but bridged works. The VM will pick up a DHCP address from the VB host. Your DHCP server will assign a 2nd address (192.168.x.x) to what appears to be a 2nd NIC in your VB host.

(I'm out for the weekend as well.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Use a "bridged" network adapter (not NAT). I know it's not intuitive, but bridged works. The VM will pick up a DHCP address from the VB host. Your DHCP server will assign a 2nd address (192.168.x.x) to what appears to be a 2nd NIC in your VB host.

Yes!! That worked thanks....now I can test Mint on my other laptop.

(I'm out for the weekend as well.)

But I bet you won't be seeing 'the wicked witch of the west' :D:D I have a love hate relationship with my sister-in-law :P

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I bet you won't be seeing 'the wicked witch of the west' :D:D I have a love hate relationship with my sister-in-law :P

Well,, I'll be flying to the UK,, but I wasn't supposed to say anything.... :rolleyes:
    Just kidding! :D

I have the same sort of thing going with my sister-in-law. (She lives two houses down, by the way.) My wife calls her "sister". I call her "blister" and she's so used to it now, she'll answer to it.

Over the weekend:
    It's back to the salt mines at the new place. Interior paint, siding and kitchen cabinet work. It seems like it never ends but I should have the bulk of it done by this fall.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well,, I'll be flying to the UK,, but I wasn't supposed to say anything....

:D:D

Well I've got Mint installed, updated in just over 30 mins, another 20 mins and chrome installed, new theme and icon theme.....so looking good. I have to install some software on the W7 VM including setting up the sound.

Looking at this sensibly a network MFP and some extra ram for the server are going to be a must if I continue with this, then at a later date replacing the server drives for something larger, and get another external hard drive or a couple of usb cases so that I can either backup or rsync from the server and this laptop.

Must say my i3 laptop runs and boots faster with Mint than W10.

Hm!! I've just read that MInt supports UEFI, my laptop is capable of that but not set....I just might try one of my older, smaller drives and test it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok having tried UEFI by simply enabling the setting in the bios, it all started and installed, but I found a simple command to check if it was running using EFI....apparently not ?( so have put the other drive back in and left the bios with uefi enabled...and it's booted up....so somethings not right....just as easy to leave it alone.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok having tried UEFI by simply enabling the setting in the bios, it all started and installed, but I found a simple command to check if it was running using EFI....apparently not ?( so have put the other drive back in and left the bios with uefi enabled...and it's booted up....so somethings not right....just as easy to leave it alone.

If it works, don't fix it.

I tried to consolidate that UEFI W8 install. Other than a possible off-line defrag, with a 3rd party defrag utility, it didn't seem like there's a way to move the scattered files. (I tried turning off the page file. No luck.) So, I ordered the cheap 320GB drive. It should be here when I get back.

I really want to test UEFI backup and restore which is, believe it or not, is something Windows Home Server wouldn't do. (I might have an isolated case, but that's the appearance.) UEFI is the way it seems to be going, so it must to be dealt with.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I really want to test UEFI backup and restore which is, believe it or not, is something Windows Home Server wouldn't do. (I might have an isolated case, but that's the appearance.) UEFI is the way it seems to be going, so it must to be dealt with.

Sorted!! seems I had to disable some other settings within the bios besides just enabling the uefi option....what that left me with was uefi cd-rom to boot from. During the install there is a warning regarding uefi as it detects another install, just continue and it starts and installs using uefi. Once completed looking in the bios there is a boot option that displays as [ubuntu] as the first boot device.

Using fdisk I now see efi system, so it appears that it's worked. Looks as the option of a network printer and extra ram is going to be the way the go. Got some more work to do tomorrow on the vm.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What a PIA this weekend has been....installed Mint then couldn't connect to OMV....google searching....more reinstalling including going back to standard bios settings.

Upshot was there was an issue with OMV...I switched on my other laptop and that couldn't connect either...so more fiddling around and I had to restart OMV....result other laptop could now connect....but not this new install :cursing:

So further googling turns out Mint does not install Samba, but whilst going through the updates there is an update for Samba, now why download an update if the software is not installed?

So final install, before running the updates I install Samba, then run the updates...result!! I was at the point of giving up.....then it was the turn of rdp to the w7 vm, I use remmina and I just couldn't get it to fit a screen....back to google....rdesktop, Ok, this is a cli program but it works straight out of the tin.

I also managed to get some usb speakers working on the vm as I need sound on w7, but being a server box it doesn't have any audio jacks.

All in all an eventful weekend....but so far this morning everything is running as I wanted, my next idea is to install wine and then install mt4, *if* that works as it did on my test xfce then I could ditch the vm. But I have some ms related software that I am comfortable using so I might just run a test install for everything I need making some notes so that I can update this installation.

Wife's back today flying in from Newquay to Stansted, by plane, fortunately she never graduated to the broomstick :D:D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!