The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

To have that amount of hardware would not be worth the grief from you know who

Yeah, I know who you're talking about - SHMBO.
    On my end, the situation is a bit different. She's Irish and since my heritage (way back) is traceable to England, it's almost a genetic imperative - I must "oppress". :) (And if you believe that...)

I'm going to rerun the test, with the case assembled this time, to see what happens.

I reran the the full mem-test and this time it was error free, row hammer tests and all. But, this time, I had the case fully assembled... (That sounds like voodoo BS, uh?) In the bottom line, there's no "there", there, so I'm a happy camper. I'll run it one more time with the X5660's installed to make sure their cache is OK.

You could use snapshots for this too. Set a snapshot, try your test, rollback to the snapshot. This is supported in the free version.

Sure, but one of the things I did with OMV in Virtualbox was, do the basic build, set up a bunch of virtual 5GB drives and clone it a few times. One clone was configured for mdadm RAID, the 2nd ZFS, the 3rd EXT4 and MergerFS+SNAPRAID, etc. Cloning is useful for branching a basic build into different directions and keeping them for testing. It certainly saves time.

Proxmox seems interesting enough and there's more than a bit of reading to be done on :!: Ceph :!: . (As if ZFS wasn't enough.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah, I know who you're talking about

:D:D I could get away with it if it was hidden away i.e in the loft, but due to the odds of 2 to 1 the loft and the best part of the garage is "storage" for their needs, I mean why/how is it that a female has a summer and winter wardrobe which, if one was not packed away would require copious amounts of storage in a bedroom. That's without the necessary shoe storage, that's a don't go there subject, so I have to think small and hope that it returns big, if not, live with what you've got.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There's a LOT to absorb on the Ceph topic but, with the barest of overviews, it seems to be interesting. I'm not sure I could do much with a cluster configuration (who knows what could be done in VM's?) so I'll be looking at what can be done at the host level with 5 or 6 physical drives. That's the limiting factor and the the real expense - storage media.

I'm taking a first look at OMV5 on Debian 10 (Buster). It's loading it into a VM. We'll see if there are any (BTRFS) surprises.

Edit:
    Well that didn't work out very well. While going through the script process.....

root@OMV5-BETA:/# apt-get update
    Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian buster InRelease [154 kB]
    Hit:2 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease
    Get:3 http://packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease [12.7 kB]

Err:3 http://packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease
    The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7E7A6C592EF35D13 NO_PUBKEY 24863F0C716B980B
    Reading package lists... Done
    W: GPG error: http://packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7E7A6C592EF35D13 NO_PUBKEY 24863F0C716B980B
    E: The repository 'http://packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease' is not signed.

N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

root@OMV5-BETA:/#

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well that didn't work out very well. While going through the script process.....

Volker's OMV5 instructions will probably have to change since you can't add a repo without a key (unless you put trusted in the repo line but that is bad idea) and actually install packages from it. So, download and install the key first:

wget http://packages.openmediavault.org/public/pool/main/o/openmediavault-keyring/openmediavault-keyring_1.0_all.deb
    dpkg -i openmediavault-keyring_1.0_all.deb

then you should be able to apt-get update

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is what I did
    In a VM

For testing, I think it is fine but I would want Volker to change his guide to do this :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

wget http://packages.openmediavault…vault-keyring_1.0_all.deb
    dpkg -i openmediavault-keyring_1.0_all.deb

While the first command pulled the keyring:
    dpkg -i (above) still didn't work. It wouldn't install with a note about two files not being in the path or executable.

As it turned out, in environmental variables env /usr/sbin was missing. Once added export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin the keyring installed.

I picked it up from there with the following:

root@OMV5-BETA:/# apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded \
    > --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages \
    > --no-install-recommends \
    > --option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" \
    > --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" \
    > install postfix openmediavault
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    openmediavault : Depends: php-pam but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: salt-minion (>= 2018.3.3) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

root@OMV5-BETA:/# omv-confdbadm populate
    bash: omv-confdbadm: command not found

The version used: debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso
    lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Debian
    Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid
    Release: testing
    Codename: buster

Since there are no version #'s attached, I download this testing distro yesterday. (12/11 if that makes a difference)
    I also went for the minimum install, with an SSH server and utilities as the only "extra's" installed.

Since others (macon, happyreacer, etc.) seem to be getting OMV5 up and running, I can't help but wonder what's happening on this end. I must not be coping and pasting sections of those scripts properly. :) Maybe I have the wrong distro?

• Offizieller Beitrag

dpkg -i (above) still didn't work. It wouldn't install with a note about two files not being in the path or executable.

When you su to root, you need to do su - to include the environment variables and paths. Doesn't matter anyway since there are dependencies that are not able to be satisfied. Volker will need to update the salt and php-pam packages.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you su to root, you need to do su - to include the environment variables and paths.

I've done the script install before and it didn't require su - but that was then and this is now. I verified the variables and paths difference. (Thanks for that.)

Doesn't matter anyway since there are dependencies that are not able to be satisfied. Volker will need to update the salt and php-pam packages.

Setting the key ring issue aside; since the salt and php-pam packages refused to install, "patching" them into this distro is beyond my ability. :)
    I'll try it again, later.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My W10 laptop has decided not to boot can't find boot device, gotta run chkdsk as I can't get spinrite to run.

That doesn't sound good. Spinrite won't run - a drive controller issue? I attempted to reload my wife's slow laptop and consistently got I/O errors. It's not even worth fooling with it. The new one is on the way.

In the way of minor annoyances, my theater PC's (i5) CPU fan is a bit "loud", so I bought an Intel fan/heatsink combo. While the heat sink is aluminum and copper, the rest is an all plastic frame, push snap lock posts, etc., all of which dampen vibration and noise. (I actually had to remove the mobo, because of the hardware for the existing heatsink, attached to the back side. PITA!)
    Then, I have all in place and locked down to find,,,, Dell has a 5 pin fan connector on the mobo... 5 freaking pins! For what? 2 pins will run a DC fan, 3 - 4 can sense and regulate speed, but 5? (For what, barometric pressure?) Now I'm waiting for a 4 to 5 pin adapter from China (less than 1USD but a few weeks in the mail).

Crap, I just found that 5 pins are for "lighted" RGB fans,,, come on...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Dell has a 5 pin fan connector on the mobo... 5 freaking pins! For what? 2 pins will run a DC fan, 3 - 4 can sense and regulate speed, but 5? (For what, barometric pressure?) Now I'm waiting for a 4 to 5 pin adapter from China (less than 1USD but a few weeks in the mail).

Crap, I just found that 5 pins are for "lighted" RGB fans,,, come on...

5 pins but only 4 wires. The fifth slot is empty. But I agree, I don't know why they do that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Spinrite won't run - a drive controller issue?

Spinrite is more to do with uefi, which I disabled then tried but still the same, not a controller as a Windows boot cd will see the drive, the error is from the 'old days' where you had a corrupt MBR, it won't boot, it won't repair, this is going to be, attach the drive to current machine, remove files then start again...."We are not amused"

• Offizieller Beitrag

:D:D discomaxey 'he can light up your server'

Ha - Ha - Ha... (accompanied with a S-L-O-W clap).

Actually I was wrong. Some mobo's have 5 pin headers for RGB light strips, not fans. Light strips? Now THAT's an indispensable option,, that one couldn't do without. @ryecoaaron is right, as usual, the 5th fan pin isn't connected at this point. (Lights later, who knows?) Since I can avoid a "splice and solder" job, I'll wait on the adapter.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some mobo's have 5 pin headers for RGB light strips,

I just googled that and there was a listing "Pimp your PC" this could get silly, so if you're thinking of wearing spandex whilst pimping your pc, I should keep it quiet :rolleyes:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just googled that and there was a listing "Pimp your PC" this could get silly

It's been silly for awhile now. You know, if it was a water cpu cooler or something similar, I could buy into the idea. One could make a legitimate performance argument. But flashing LED's, in three colors, and black lights? I can't believe that it sells!,, but what do I know?
    Maybe I should get on board with the trend,,, spray paint the main server white, plate the front bezel gold and get a Mercedes hood ornament to set on top. :thumbup: (Then stick it in the closet where it belongs.)

Since it's outside of a Docker I wanted to run pihole -up for the first time so, before updating, I backed up my DietPi SD-card. The da#n thing failed verification, then wouldn't boot. That gave me pause for thought, an old card and no specific mechanism (like the Flash Mem plugin or folder to ram) for reducing write activity. It could be that a DietPi install will go through a few SD-cards. That's OK because I have a few old ones to throw at it.

I'm regretting not backing up the card, soon after verifying that all was working well. I'm rebuilding it right now. As noted before, a standard "B" R-PI is slow. I think the whole process (OS updates, pihole, unbound, reconfig) will be about an hour.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But flashing LED's, in three colors, and black lights? I can't believe that it sells!

You do realise we (yes that includes me) are now showing our age ;) we look at a PC as a functional item, it does a job and provided it does that job then we're happy. Having bells and whistles, flashing lights, water cooling etc is for gamers, doesn't help them play the game any better -> "but hey, my PC looks cool" Perhaps I could get my son to do some of his spray art to the visible side of my microserver ^^
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

That gave me pause for thought, an old card and no specific mechanism (like the Flash Mem plugin or folder to ram) for reducing write activity.

I agree, I started looking into folder to ram but never got very far, is it not in their software repository? For me, to back mine up it's going to have to wait til I've got this laptop rebuilt. Found this

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well reinstalled W10 on laptop, but it runs in Legacy even though UEFI is enabled in the bios, W10 doesn't detect it and this is evident if you try the recovery option from settings, I don't have 'use uefi firmware' ?( so because this is a laptop from you know where I'll leave it as it is. Working with digital activation so that's Ok.

Something else I had forgotten with W10, setting to private network, pc name change and change workgroup name now has to be done individually with a reboot after each change, used to be able to do that in one go with W7.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!